Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #946
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cromag's talking about the book "Me Before You", which is what the original question was about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #947
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Cromag's talking about the book "Me Before You", which is what the original question was about.
It wasn't actually about Me Before You, rather what book/film it was referencing, but thanks for clearing it up.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #948
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It wasn't actually about Me Before You, rather what book/film it was referencing, but thanks for clearing it up.
Sorry, I meant that "Me Before You" is the book that was published in 2012.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #949
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm sorry for not being more clear. It was meant to be a light-hearted comment, inspired by these posts and my kids' (in their 20s) idea of what's "old." I frequently hear about "old" movies and other cultural touchstones of their youth that came out less than 20 years ago (and to me, feel like "just yesterday").
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #950
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Hey, it generated some conversation, so all good
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #951
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yep, the most recent Jean de Florette was made before anyone under 30 was born, so it qualifies as an old movie to them. I remember it being reviewed on Siskel and Ebert.

I'm the same way. Anything younger than me is not a "classic."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #952
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Read a story a few years ago. Science fiction. The spacecraft was a "brain" type (not one of the brainship books by Mccaffrey) and the passenger was a feline type alien. The brain had never seen that type of alien in person.

They landed on a planet where there were unpleasant aliens. The feline alien, working with the brain spacecraft, was infiltrating the alien base. Various stuff including the incredible ability of the feline to hide and to stay still. The spacecraft has to take off with information from the feline, leaving the feline behind.

The story ends with comments about how much damage the spacecraft took and the repairs/refitting of the ship and the desire of the brain to return to get his feline partner from the hostile world.

I can't remember the name of the story or the author but do remember it was in an anthology.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #953
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Aliette de Bodard has mindships in her linked set of SF stories:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?31046

I've only read a couple of them, and don't remember anything like that particular story, but could it be one of those?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #954
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Aliette de Bodard has mindships in her linked set of SF stories:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?31046

I've only read a couple of them, and don't remember anything like that particular story, but could it be one of those?
Thanks but I read the blurb for several and not at all like the story I remember.

Kind of had a Sector General feel to it but I can't seem to figure out if it was one of the short stories in that series or not (been scanning all I can get my hands on but not positive it is SG)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #955
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I haven't read them but C,J, Cherryh's Chanur books have cat-like aliens.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #956
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Hani seem to be the feline alien I was thinking of and the Kiff does seem like the alien they were fighting against.

I am trying to find the short story that I'm trying to remember. I'll see if i can find more synopsis of stories.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #957
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
But no "brain" spacecraft.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #958
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But no "brain" spacecraft.
It wasn't a brainship like Helga in the Ship Who Sang. It was a person who had been injured almost to death and saved who became, I guess, a cyborg of patrol ship (I think... lol I'm remembering more as I try to find the story) and whatever portion of the human was saved including the brain. I tended to think of it as a human in a shipskin when I read the short story/novella.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #959
Mirirob
Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mirirob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ever seen this book?

A few years ago I read this book and don't remember the title.

The protagonist and maybe three friends did a lot of mountain climbing and camping in the coldest weather. Later he went to Antarctica for a job. He was called a Carhardt because he wore their clothes. He got dirty doing his job.....

I would have thought the author was Kim Stanley Robinson it wasn't. It was not in his bibliography. I don't remember it as part of trilogy.

Has anyone seen this book?

Richard
Mirirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #960
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I am assuming you are talking of a non-fiction book here. If so you are possibly thinking of Harold Tilman (known as Bill Tilman) who sailed both the Arctic and Antarctic, and a number of mountain climbing exploits as well.

Carhartt still use his name on some of their products.

He wrote a number of books about his exploits and a friend of mine, as a young man, sailed with him on one of those voyages. He had a reputation of being a very tough man and expected the same of others with him, my friend verifies that as the boat was very spartan and human comforts last on the list. He received both civil and military decorations for his exploits during World War II.

As an old man Tilman was lost at sea.

John
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths