Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
QT/E execution problem!

I built QT/E for iLiad in scratchbox and tried to execute an QT app on iLiad. The app is just a simple example bundled in QT/E source code package. I have fixed all requied shared objects in proper path. The app seemed to run for a bit and then stopped. The final output I got in mrxvt was: "solidFill_setup(): Screen depth 8 not supported! Aborted".

The error message is clear, because iLiad only provides 4 bit greyscale. But I don't know how to fix it. I have added a line in shell-script:"export QWS_DISPLAY=Linuxfb:genericcolors".

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-16-2008 at 01:54 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
The Iliad Xserver is 8 bit gray scale, the display can only do 16 levels, but when you do a screen dump, and view it on another computer, it has 256 levels...
I dont think you can change anything about this. Maybe you can configure QT/E before compling it?

Good luck!
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
The Iliad Xserver is 8 bit gray scale, the display can only do 16 levels, but when you do a screen dump, and view it on another computer, it has 256 levels...
I dont think you can change anything about this. Maybe you can configure QT/E before compling it?

Good luck!
When configuring QT/E, there is a option "-depths" which accepts value list 1,4,8,16,32,all. Before this post, I configured QT/E with "-depths 1,4". Then I tried with "-depths all". Still the same problem. Maybe I should try "-depths 8".
Old 12-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru

I tried with "-depths 8" and still got the same output.
I compared the contents of libs of different -depths setting, they are all the same. The difference might be within application compiled by QT/E libs compiled with different options.
I tried to execute the framebuffer test bundled in QT/E package. It did run, and display was actually changed, though terrible. Ideally, there should be three rectangles on screen. The result was no desired rectangles, and screen was inverted (white to black and black to white). I had to reboot to resotre.
Here is the stdout and stderr output by framebuffer test program:
Code:
initPalette: error reading palette: Invalid argument
initPalette: error setting palette: Invalid argument
resetPalette: Invalid argument
The framebuffer device was opened successfully.

Fixed screen info:
	id:          iRex DELTA Frame
	smem_start:  0xc1000000
	smem_len:    786432
	type:        0
	type_aux:    0
	visual:      3
	xpanstep:    1
	ypanstep:    1
	ywrapstep:   1
	line_length: 768
	mmio_start:  0x0
	mmio_len:    0
	accel:       0

The framebuffer device was mapped to memory successfully.

Was in graphics mode already. Skipping
Variable screen info:
	xres:           768
	yres:           1024
	xres_virtual:   768
	yres_virtual:   1024
	yoffset:        0
	xoffset:        0
	bits_per_pixel: 8
	grayscale: 1
	red:    offset:  0, length:  8, msb_right:  0
	green:  offset:  0, length:  8, msb_right:  0
	blue:   offset:  0, length:  8, msb_right:  0
	transp: offset:  0, length:  0, msb_right:  0
	nonstd:       0
	activate:     32
	height:       -1
	width:        -1
	accel_flags:  0x0
	pixclock:     20000
	left_margin:  64
	right_margin: 64
	upper_margin: 32
	lower_margin: 32
	hsync_len:    64
	vsync_len:    2
	sync:         0
	vmode:        0

Will rectangles from the 16 first entries in the color palette on the screen
  Done.
Anyway, it proved that QT/E might be ported to iLiad.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-17-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru

After a second thought, I decided to abandon QT/E. I tried to port QT/E because it's said that it will bypass X and reserve more system resource. On iLiad, however, unless all software are converted to QT/E, we still need X window. So, porting QT might be more realistic for iLiad.
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Hello ericshliao and all,

If you have some spare time to look around...

Personally I spent quite some time investigating lua-gtk: the lua binding to all the gtk stuff. It looks very promising and should be small and fast. The required libraries went ok, but some parts are hard to cross-compile...

http://lua-gtk.luaforge.net, some notes here: http://wiki.hpelbers.org/Other_stuff_for_the_Iliad
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru

I tried to build lua-gtk, but I failed. It seems that lua alone is not enough for lua-gtk. Some other modules or libs are required.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Other lua gtk port

Take a look at message #27:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36483

There is another lua gtk port, which looks simpler to compile.

Best regards,
Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote