Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Spell checking content.opf

If I correct a spelling mistake in dc:description in the content.opf file it doesn't appear to flow through to the Comments column in metadata.db and thence to metadata.opf in the book folder.

I've flicked the update metadata option in Editor Preferences->Integration with calibre but it didn't seem to have any effect. Besides I don't want that option set for other reasons.

Have I missed something obvious? Assuming I haven't here's my scenario

I do all my primary spell checking before I create the EPUB. I'd like to use Editor's spell checker to provide a 'second opinion', and use the filter to check hyphenated words etc - as I'm currently doing with Sigil.

I write most of my Comments, so I use a lot of ad-hoc abbreviations; spell checking them is more of a hindrance than a help. My preference would be to have a preference option where I could nominate a list of file names to be excluded from spell checking - eg "content.opf, titlepage.xhtml", the default would empty.

I don't have this issue with the Sigil spell checker, because as far as I can tell it only processes the xhtml files. However, now calibre's book editor has a Reports feature this is the only issue which is stopping me from putting Sigil aside.

I think I can make use of the calibre editor's Function mode S&R. But I know myself well enough to know that unless I'm using the calibre editor as my primary epub editor then I probably won't bother.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-12-2015 at 11:03 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to update metadata in calibre from a book format, use the blue I button in the top right corner of the edit metadata dialog. Integration works only one way. From calibre to the book format not back again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kovid - not sure we're on the same page.

My bottom line is that I don't want the spell checker to check the spelling in Comments, that's because they are full of my own ad-hoc abbreviations. I do not want to correct them, nor create a user dictionary for them; in fact I don't want to see them. In one instance yesterday the calibre spell checker reported 87 errors - of which 83 were in the dc:description element. In Sigil all I saw were the 4 genuine errors, I assume that's because it doesn't check the content.opf file.

My problem could be overcome by providing an option to exclude files from being spell checked.

If that's not possible I'll continue to use Sigil to spell check and do other edits (which are few and far between), I'll use Calibre to do link checking though, for some reason I never got my head around the Sigil equivalent

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I've said before, I have no interest in adding the ability to exclude files from the spell check, patches are welcome.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote