Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3
Wink Libre OCR

I have a few PDFs made from library scans of rather old documents. The fonts look to me like those of today. The scans are not excellent, but they are made with a flatbed scanner and not those ripoffs with a camera where the page is twisted and you see a hand peeking from one side.

Do you have experience with libre software? Do you know tutorials or forum posts that can explain to a newbie? I have experience working with graphics. Not with OCR.
shevirsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have no knowledge of a good free OCR tool that even comes close to commercial ones.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I have no knowledge of a good free OCR tool that even comes close to commercial ones.
I have missed that thread where the OP asks "Do you have knowledge of a libre software pack that is better than the closed source counterpart".

Anyway, I have asked something different. You might reread.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try Tesseract. Not very user-friendly and probably not for newbies. And as Toxaris said, you won't get very much in the quality department.

As for the questions you asked: Yes. No.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
shevirsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Try Tesseract. Not very user-friendly and probably not for newbies. And as Toxaris said, you won't get very much in the quality department.
I have tried it. In terms of usability is on the opposite side of Abbyy Finereader. Sad.
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The k2pdfopt program can do OCR on a scanned PDF using tesseract. It can even embed the results into the PDF file as a text layer. k2pdfopt has a zillion options, so I'm not sure it's easier to use than bare tesseract, but you can try it for nothing and see.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
libre, ocr, pdf