Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
jcase
Edge User

GPL Compliance

This is a notice to all who developer for the eDGe, including enTourage itself.

GPL requires sourcecode made available for ANY distributed file based in whole or part on a GPL licensed project. Failing to do so, is violating the license.

Busybox
gnome
linux kernel
alsa
...etc...

are GPL licensed, if your projeects contains any thing GPL, make sure source is available.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
dontpanic
Edge User

Justin,

We are looking into your list of omissions. We should be able to respond within 24 hours.

DP

Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
jcase
Edge User

List was likely partial.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
MichaelV
Edge User

complete code is needed. not truncated.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
jcase
Edge User

I suggestion is that enTourage appoints a GPL compliance officer, who has the responsibility of ensuring that they are in compliance, an that at time of product releases and update releases, code is made available.

I would like to remind everyone, that when a retailer sales a product that is in violation of the GPL, they are in violation as well, and become liable.

Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
MichaelV
Edge User

So I understood from the other forum that you talked with Brendan from Entourage and finally they are willing to co-operate. So this GPL compliance officer will be nominated soon?! if yes this is really good news and all our efforts were not for nothing and the open source concept is proving productive.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
robot
Edge User

I think that the best way to be GPL compiliant and at the same time to gain an advatage from GPL, is to move the whole project to an public GIT (or SVN e.t.c.) repo. So EE developers or anyone who is interested in developing (or compiling) will get the latest code.
p.s. I didn't have much time to examine source code released (need to work on my primary job and sleep only 3 hours today , so sorry if I miss something but..), at first glance:
gst
directfb
gcc
sd8* and ifupdown\iwconfig\iwpriv
ep3521*
missing.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
supermarkitos2004
Edge User

Dear friends, be a little bit patient!
i know this strategy, i call it the "spanish woman strategy" (i come from Spain, I know what I mean!)
it´s only "marketing"... you must have only a little bit patience!
maybe you ask: "what´s the spanish woman strategy?"
i can tell it to you:
spanish woman combination is:
- a very nice woman
- who doesn´t kiss on the first date
- who must often say: "when you really really love me, you will know to wait at me"
- who shows her delights slowly, it takes a lot of time to discover everything
- be carefull, don´t look another girl, wou will regret doing it!
all this charachteristics make spanish woman irresistible!

Last edited by supermarkitos2004; 08-16-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
supermarkitos2004
Edge User

and Edge Entourage is:
- a very nice product
- Entourage Systems doesn´t show the complete source code on the first day
- Edge Entourage show its delights slowly (new applications, android 2.2, google market access, complete! source code, maybe?)
- don´t look Ipad, you will regret doing it!
dou you understand me now? it´s only marketing!
(What Entourage Systems want is: SELL MACHINES, they only want that we keep have interest about it, they want that we speak about it, this is why this forum is made for! so, you must wait, Edge Entourage will show its delights slowly!)

Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarkitos2004 View Post
maybe you ask: "what´s the spanish woman strategy?"
i can tell it to you:
spanish woman combination is:
- a very nice woman
- who not to kiss on the first date
- who must often say: "when you really really love me, you will know to wait at me"
- who shows her delights slowly, it takes a lot of time to discover everything
- be carefull, don´t look another girl, wou will regret doing it!
all this charachteristics make spanish woman irresistible!
Hilarious--though not limited to Spanish women.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
jcase
Edge User

That doesn't make sense to me. GPL is very specifc, if someone doesn't want to follow it then don't use it.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
supermarkitos2004
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Hilarious--though not limited to Spanish women.
of course, New York women too!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarkitos2004 View Post
and Edge Entourage is:
- a very nice product
- Entourage Systems doesn´t show the complete source code on the first day
- Edge Entourage show its delights slowly (new applications, android 2.2, google market access, complete! source code, maybe?)
- don´t look Ipad, you will regret doing it!
dou you understand me now? it´s only marketing!
(What Entourage Systems want is: SELL MACHINES, they only want that we keep have interest about it, they want that we speak about it, this is why this forum is made for! so, you must wait, Edge Entourage will show its delights slowly!)
I would think of a funny/lewd response to this, but I'm not sure the new forum rules would allow it.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
dontpanic
Edge User

Hi,

I want to drop in and let you know that we did find that we did not release the complete source code package last Friday. The engineering team is putting together the package again now. We want to do it right, though, so give us a little time to check things out and push the code out again. We apologize for the mistake.

DP

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
shinkamui
Edge User

Not inspiring confidence or trust. Not a good first step. I think everyone wants to love the producer as much as the product.