Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
tva2000hn
tva2000hn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, KT4 , Kobo Glo (dead)
Is there a netsurf binary for Kindle?

I would like to ask : is there anyone here have a copy of netsurf for kindle?

If not, will the binary (and the libraries) for armel debian work with the kindle PW3 ?
tva2000hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tva2000hn View Post
I would like to ask : is there anyone here have a copy of netsurf for kindle?

If not, will the binary (and the libraries) for armel debian work with the kindle PW3 ?
The answer to your second question: Probably yes.
But if you don't find the binary in question, why not compile it? All you need is an ARM cross-compilation toolchain.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2022, 10:52 PM   #3
loop_device
loop_device began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Boox Nova 2, a few Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
All you need is an ARM cross-compilation toolchain.
You're making it sound so easy. I have had a go at cross-compiling during the last few days with a very low success rate. Could you help me out?
loop_device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:14 AM   #4
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop_device View Post
You're making it sound so easy. I have had a go at cross-compiling during the last few days with a very low success rate. Could you help me out?
Check this tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tva2000hn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaseemAlkurdi View Post
The answer to your second question: Probably yes
Probably not, you have to do some little changes in the source files: kindle requires a particular naming scheme for window titles, see here (post #11 and following) and here (window naming)

Last edited by encol; 02-18-2022 at 04:51 AM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, hai!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
loop_device
loop_device began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Boox Nova 2, a few Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, nice! Thanks!

I've since managed to get NetSurf 2.9 (ancient) by adding wheezy sources to a Debian Squeeze Chroot. You should be able to get a much newer version on a Paperwhite since you wouldn't be bound by the same Kernel limitation.

RE Window naming: I've had the best success with netsurf-fb and the command line `netsurf-fb -w 600 -h 800 -b 8`. I haven't yet found a way to make netsurf-gtk name its window correctly, it doesn't seem to respond to the typical GTK command line switches (which would enable `--name`).

Last edited by loop_device; 02-19-2022 at 02:06 PM.
loop_device is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross-compile, toolchain