Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 02:43 AM   #61
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yeah I figured it was something like that. Still a bit jarring how much disk space it ate up.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-29-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:08 AM   #62
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UI thought: There ought to be a resizable divider between the search results and preview pane. Currently, the right preview pane is a little squished unless I maximize the window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-29 06_10_32-Search the text of all books in the library.png
Views:	267
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	194640

Also, the tooltip indicates that 'restrict searched books' should search all the books currently in view. Instead, it only searches currently selected books.

It might also make sense to have a menu option to manually reindex selected books.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-29-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2022, 05:29 AM   #63
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's odd, i get a splitter handle halfway down the panel, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-29 192235.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	194641

BR
Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 AM   #64
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Oh, I found it now that it's mentioned. I miss my dark mode.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #65
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the tool tip for the Restrict searched books checkbox text seems pretty clear to me:

Quote:
Restrict search results to only the books currently showing in the main library screen. This means that any Virtual libraries or search results are applied.
But maybe something like: "Only search the text of the books that are currently shown - i.e. books in the current VL and within the current metadata search constraints." would be more explicit.
Advert
Old 06-29-2022, 05:51 AM   #66
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

In my case, it only searched the one book I currently had selected. I had several other books visible in the list that had 'mustang' in the text, but only the selected one showed up.

I'm running from source, if ifthat's any matter.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-29-2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #67
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Gotcha - it's the same for me if I select a book or some books.

How can you unselect the current book… other than a library switch of some sort?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-29-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 AM   #68
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I think I'd prefer 3 radio buttons - search selected books, search within current VL and metadata search criteria, and search the entire library.

BR
Old 06-29-2022, 06:20 AM   #69
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@thiago: I dont see why the portable and installed version would behave differently. There is no code difference in them as far as handling icons is concerned. Try cleaning out your calibre config folder temporarily and seeing if that changes things.
Thanks, that gave me hint. I did what you asked and everything worked fine again, so I decided to look at my config folder files and noticed this two files: "icons-any.rcc" and "icons-dark.rcc". The light icons were missing. Then, I selected the theme for light only on the UI and it worked again. Is that a bug? I mean, if the user chooses only a theme for dark mode, shouldn't the switch work as normal using the default light theme?

Also, I have one question: when the user changes from light to dark (or the other way around), does calibre emit any signal for the plugin to catch? My plugin has built-in themes but, without a signal, it only changes when calibre is restarted.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
restrict books was not supposed to work on selected books, but rather all currently shown books, this was a bug, now fixed.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:16 AM   #71
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@thiago: QApplication.instance().palette_changed.connect(wh atever)

Not sure what you are saying about the themes. Are you saying that if you choose a theme for dark only and then calibre switches to light, the plugin icons dont work? Remind me what code you use for plugin icons?
Old 06-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #72
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@thiago: QApplication.instance().palette_changed.connect(wh atever)
Thanks! I will test it here.

Quote:
Not sure what you are saying about the themes. Are you saying that if you choose a theme for dark only and then calibre switches to light, the plugin icons dont work?
These are the steps to reproduce it:

1) Erase RCC files (icons-any, icons-light, icons-dark) to reset theme options.
2) Go to Preferences>Look and feel>Change icon theme and choose any theme for the "For light and dark" option. Don't choose anything for Light and Dark only options.
3) Now, I have no icons for my plugins.
4) Go to Preferences>Look and feel>Change icon theme and choose any theme for the "For dark only" option. Don't choose a Light only theme.
5) Now, I have icons for my plugins while my Windows is set to dark. If I change it to Light, then I have no icons again.
6) Choosing a Light and a Dark theme on calibre fix all the issues.

Quote:
Remind me what code you use for plugin icons?
Code:
def get_icon(icon_name):
    # Check to see whether the icon exists as a Calibre resource
    # This will enable skinning if the user stores icons within a folder like:
    # ...\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resources\images\Plugin Name\
    icon_path = os.path.join(config_dir, 'resources', 'images', PLUGIN_NAME,
                             icon_name.replace('images/', ''))
    if os.path.exists(icon_path):
        pixmap = QPixmap()
        pixmap.load(icon_path)
        return QIcon(pixmap)
    # As we did not find an icon elsewhere, look within our zip resources
    if numeric_version < (5, 99, 0):
        return get_icons(icon_name)
    else:
        return get_icons(icon_name, PLUGIN_NAME)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #73
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released 5.99.11 which uses pdftotext for indexing pdfs which is much faster and also gives better results for PDFs that are scanned pages with a text layer. Also fixes the issue with restrict searched books restricting to selected instead of displayed books.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@thiago: Looking at utils.py in your Check Books plugin that's not the actual code its using. Are you using a non-published version of the plugin?

You need to:

1) First look for QIcon.ic(PLUGIN_NAME + '/' + themed_name)
2) Then look for QIcon.ic(PLUGIN_NAME + '/' + non_themed_name)
3) Then look for get_icons('images/' + themed_name)

And note that with this approach your icons wont automatically change when going from light to dark mode you will have to listen to the signal and reset them manually.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #75
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
@thiago: Looking at utils.py in your Check Books plugin that's not the actual code its using. Are you using a non-published version of the plugin?
The code I provided was from the Skoob Sync plugin.

Quote:
And note that with this approach your icons wont automatically change when going from light to dark mode you will have to listen to the signal and reset them manually.
I'll PM you about this, cause I went off-topic here.
Closed Thread