Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #4201
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Oh dear. I was pondering getting one of the 1632 universe books, when I saw that Amazon said I'd bought in in December 2016!

I must have missed adding it to my database at the time. Now added, but counting towards THIS year's totals.

[EDIT: I obviously changed my mind. Looking more carefully, Amazon shows that I cancelled the order.]

On the plus side, I've only bought three books this month so far, and added one freebie.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #4202
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh dear. I was pondering getting one of the 1632 universe books, when I saw that Amazon said I'd bought in in December 2016!

I must have missed adding it to my database at the time. Now added, but counting towards THIS year's totals.

[EDIT: I obviously changed my mind. Looking more carefully, Amazon shows that I cancelled the order.]

On the plus side, I've only bought three books this month so far, and added one freebie.
So..........did you go ahead and get it this time? Since you went to the trouble to put it into your database you might as well get it. As long as it isn't one written by VD.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #4203
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So..........did you go ahead and get it this time? Since you went to the trouble to put it into your database you might as well get it. As long as it isn't one written by VD.
Apache
Well, I put it in my list on MobileRead. And now I've taken it out again. I think I'll wait for a good Kobo coupon this time.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #4204
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, I put it in my list on MobileRead. And now I've taken it out again. I think I'll wait for a good Kobo coupon this time.
Yep, You can not beat a good kobo coupon. And B&N wonders why I never use their coupons.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #4205
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The $5 Google coupons are an issue. I had three (over two accounts) to be used by month's end.

Mixed feelings on this. I've been checking my wishlist; I had two books for over $5 and under $6 at Amazon which would have been perfect, except that Google wanted less than $5 for one and way more for the other. But I did narrow it down to a wishlist book that is $16 at Amazon and only $10 at Google; moreover, it meets the "will read it this year" stricture. Done.

The funny thing is, I was really enjoying not buying books. Yet now I've got two more $5 coupons to go and it is an opportunity to discount Agency books. Unfortunately, my top wants are on the pricey side even after a $5 reduction, so I'm torn. How badly do I want them, given an ample library of already paid for books?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #4206
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And are you really going to read them in the next few months? Most agency books will, eventually, come down in price. And you're not short of books to read.

OTOH, I just popped for a BUNCH of WhisperSync audio books at $1.99. Now, chances are they wouldn't ever increase in price. And they give me an opportunity to re-read a series I'm actually quite looking forward to. But, OTOH, it's not like I don't have plenty of books to both read and listen to...

Sigh. Sometimes, it's just an addiction.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #4207
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And are you really going to read them in the next few months? Most agency books will, eventually, come down in price. And you're not short of books to read.
Hence my dilemma! The reality check is the likelihood of my reading it this year; would that I had adopted it eons ago. Well, I've got three more weeks; something overwhelming may pop up.

Quote:
OTOH, I just popped for a BUNCH of WhisperSync audio books at $1.99. Now, chances are they wouldn't ever increase in price. And they give me an opportunity to re-read a series I'm actually quite looking forward to. But, OTOH, it's not like I don't have plenty of books to both read and listen to...

Sigh. Sometimes, it's just an addiction.
Audiobooks don't count, right? At least I don't count them.

I think you get a pass. They're cheap and you will listen to them soonish, so no compelling reason not to get them in one swoop.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #4208
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The $5 Google coupons are an issue. I had three (over two accounts) to be used by month's end.
Oh, I could abuse the HELL out of those coupons. A new Big Five book in one of my primary series just came out this week, and I've got an armload of other "A-list wants" just begging to be bought and read as circumstances permit. $5 Google coupons are exactly that kind of circumstance.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #4209
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
$5 Google coupons are exactly that kind of circumstance.
I have been actively avoiding my "want to buy" list since that coupon came out. I am doing well so far this year but the itch is getting stronger.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #4210
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Audiobooks don't count, right? At least I don't count them.
They don't?! Cool, then I can go crazy, right? (But then, do you count it if you have to first buy the ebook to get the WhisperSync price? Sometimes that's way cheaper than just using an Audible Credit. )

I have enough audio books to listen to that I think I'm up over 200 hours. And that's without any re-listens. (The new Stephen Fry Sherlock compendium is over 50 hours by itself alone. )
Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #4211
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They don't?! Cool, then I can go crazy, right? (But then, do you count it if you have to first buy the ebook to get the WhisperSync price? Sometimes that's way cheaper than just using an Audible Credit. )
Yes to the first, then no. But it counts as an ebook at the ebook price. Heh. I make my own rules. Clearly.

Speaking of..... I just went to Audible to check on something and got a pop-up saying I was eligible for a one-month free trial. Alrighty. Can't imagine why, but I grabbed it while it was on offer.

But I really came here to confess. As Dazrin said above, visiting your wishlist is dangerous and the buying slope is a slippery one. I had a little ebook settlement credit left at B&N and I decided I might as well burn it. It almost paid for a wishlist book that neither Kobo nor Google lists. Again, I think a good use of the credit, but this has to stop. I've gone from no purchases in January (terrific!) to three books in two volumes for $2 in February (fine, actually) to three books for $11.50 in March so far. And I still have another Google coupon....

This knocks my TBR reduction back to only four. But I do plan to read all my purchases in the near term.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #4212
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I have read all 15 of my 2017 purchases! Now I just have a couple of freebies from 2017 to read, and I'll be completely up-to-date on 2017 acquisitions!

And my TBR is currently down 13!

I'm doing much better this year than last.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #4213
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Good for you, Paul!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #4214
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Yes to the first, then no. But it counts as an ebook at the ebook price. Heh. I make my own rules. Clearly.
Ah, but don't we all. Personally, I don't count the eBook if it's only to get the Audible book cheaper. And while I count the Audible books on my Challenge, I don't actually have a goal to do more than reduce spending. Which I'm doing by doing a lot of re-reading this winter.

Quote:
Speaking of..... I just went to Audible to check on something and got a pop-up saying I was eligible for a one-month free trial. Alrighty. Can't imagine why, but I grabbed it while it was on offer.
Well, heck. Always nice to get a freebie.
Quote:
But I really came here to confess. As Dazrin said above, visiting your wishlist is dangerous and the buying slope is a slippery one. I had a little ebook settlement credit left at B&N and I decided I might as well burn it. It almost paid for a wishlist book that neither Kobo nor Google lists. Again, I think a good use of the credit, but this has to stop. I've gone from no purchases in January (terrific!) to three books in two volumes for $2 in February (fine, actually) to three books for $11.50 in March so far. And I still have another Google coupon....

This knocks my TBR reduction back to only four. But I do plan to read all my purchases in the near term.
Focus, issybird, focus. You can control this.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:17 AM   #4215
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sorry, not to be rude , but I just wanted to add my two cents. To be widely read is not the samething as to be well read. The ancient Greeks had a term , that we still use, in a slightly different sense, for the widely read but not well read of all ages: sophmores.

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." -- Francis Bacon

If you want to be well read you will spend most of your time on the books that are to be chewed and digested i.e. analytically or syntopically read --which are major undertakings that take alot of you.

No offense, intended, for the Grand Mouse, and not to be a hypocrite for I have 207 non-fiction books , on my device. It is more of a comfort thing, though, as I know they are there if I need them but if I am honest with myself analytically or syntopically reading them all is neither feasible nor desirable ( especially, when taking into account all my dead tree books too).There seems to be a certain futility in having too many books.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-09-2017 at 04:34 AM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote