Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #4156
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Technically, my TBR stack jumped up by several books yesterday, but it's not my fault! (I was clearing out my email and noticed several unredeemed StoryBundle newsletter bonus books lurking there, so I went ahead and downloaded them.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #4157
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've done my tidy-up for the year. It's why my TBR jumped to over 1100 from around 850...

But I have also managed to find 19 books this year that I'd read but not marked as read. But I'm adjusting my year start total, rather than counting them as being taken off my TBR for purposes of my challenge this year.

I'm still doing a lot better this year than last year, so far!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #4158
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The further back I go, the more the "what was I thinking?" element kicks in.
Ulp! Boy, can I relate to that

But does it stop me?

Last edited by cadele; 02-09-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Pesky comma
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 AM   #4159
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I'm not quite sure I understand the freebies being in the same list as the purchased books. I look at freebies I've collected as something I may read if I ever get around to it but otherwise just sitting there taking up a few meg of space.

On the other hand purchases or free stories of authors I currently read and follow are in a TBR list.

It doesn't make sense to not pick up a good deal by an author I know I read and enjoy because I have a thousand plus freebies that I may never get into. (yeah, freebies have a new standard as of last year... I no longer read at least a third of a freebie before deciding it isn't my cuppa tea).
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #4160
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand the freebies being in the same list as the purchased books. I look at freebies I've collected as something I may read if I ever get around to it but otherwise just sitting there taking up a few meg of space.
I clear random freebies out of my calibre database last year. So any freebies that I have in calibre or that I add to calibre are freebies that are by authors I know, or are sufficiently interesting/recommended to be on my list to be read.

I haven't yet gone through Amazon and deleted all those now unwanted freebies, but I will at some point.

Life's too short for random freebies, no matter how tempting it is to grab them when first starting with ebooks.
Advert
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #4161
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
It's totally up to you how you choose to count your TBR. In my case, it's not really a TBR, just a list of all the books I have that I haven't read. There are undoubtedly some that I will never read and won't miss. But how can I be sure which ones they are? Every time I've tried to filter my list I've arrived at difficult edge cases I can't decide on, and it ends up being a futile exercise.

And if I read a freebie, I want credit for it. Do I add it to my TBR just to remove it, like I would with a library book? I'd still need to track the books I own but am not counting to stop myself downloading them again.

So, basically I count everything I download, even if something is just a freebie I'm laying into deep storage, or if it's extra garbage I got in a bundle, or whatever.

I do choose not to count magazines and graphic novels, but that's just me.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #4162
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I was persuaded that the time spent on 'buying', downloading and 'curating' freebies was more than they were worth. So now I only get a freebie if I might have got it at £0.99.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #4163
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Kobo sent me a 50% off coupon. I couldn't resist getting the latest in the Grantville series.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #4164
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kobo sent me a 50% off coupon. I couldn't resist getting the latest in the Grantville series.
I spent mine on the latest from Wen Spencer. Any time Kobo wants to send me a "we miss you" coupon of 50% or more, I'm sure I can find a Baen book I want to read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #4165
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a shame, really. I've fallen so far behind in that series that I don't think I could catch up now if I tried. The lack of clear indicators that this book comes after that one is a significant part of that; the only way to keep up with the series seems to be to make it one's top reading priority and maintain a close watch on publication order. I didn't do so, and thus I find myself completely lost.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #4166
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I spent mine on the latest from Wen Spencer. Any time Kobo wants to send me a "we miss you" coupon of 50% or more, I'm sure I can find a Baen book I want to read.
Ah - I'd already bought the Wen Spencer at Amazon at almost a 50% discount!

But yes, I still have a few more Baen books waiting for another coupon from Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It's a shame, really. I've fallen so far behind in that series that I don't think I could catch up now if I tried. The lack of clear indicators that this book comes after that one is a significant part of that; the only way to keep up with the series seems to be to make it one's top reading priority and maintain a close watch on publication order. I didn't do so, and thus I find myself completely lost.
Eric Flint's Reading Order

If you only add in the paper Grantville Gazettes, that's only 33 or so books.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #4167
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Which, I note, is over a year old. Better than the last time I checked 1632.org, but still not exactly current.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #4168
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Which, I note, is over a year old. Better than the last time I checked 1632.org, but still not exactly current.
It's up to date to the one I just bought, which only came out this month. As lead author, Eric knows what's in the pipeline.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #4169
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It's up to date to the one I just bought, which only came out this month. As lead author, Eric knows what's in the pipeline.
It's missing _1635 The Wars for the Rhine_ (published in Dec) but the other books currently published by Baen are there.

And it's definitely been a help to my husband who only started reading the novels last fall after years of hearing me talking about them. I have all the books plus all the Grantville Gazettes so he appreciated the guide.

Last edited by ekbell; 02-11-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: hit done too soon
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #4170
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Alrighty, it's six weeks into the new year and I haven't purchased an ebook.*

In fact, I think I'm in danger of turning this into a fetish. That's not a bad thing for now, but I don't want not to buy books that would add to my enjoyment. For example, I've decided for one of my challenges to buy recent translations even if older translations are in the public domain, and that's something I think I should do. I've already not bought a book I probably ought to have bought.

But old habits die hard and I want this one to become more engrained. I remember how after almost getting through December scot-free, "just one" book magically morphed into three.

*(Actually, I have the real issybird bound and gagged and locked in a closet.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote