Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 02:58 AM   #4141
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One book by a favourite author and one book that sounds really interesting. A week in and two purchases. I'll have to be careful for the rest of the month.

I've resolved that I *must* make the 'sounds really interesting' book my next read, so that I remember that books I buy are actually to be read!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #4142
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've started keeping track of my "conversion rate" - how many of the books I'm buying I am actually reading.

Last year I managed about 30%, and about half of those were library loans, which have a built-in time limit. This year I have so far read 1 of the 17 books I have gained, and am in the middle of a second. The one I have read was a novella, and a freebie at that. The one I am now reading is my Prime lending library loan, which has a pseudo-deadline (I get one loan a calendar month, which means I need to finish this one before the end of February or I lose my February loan. Not that I know what to borrow for February.) That's not really a great record, although it is early days.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #4143
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pleased to say that of the ten books I've acquired so far this year (five bought, five freebies), I've already read six of them, with a seventh underway.

But I'm not doing so well in reading my 2008 purchases. Perhaps if I stop making 2017 purchases I'll have time to get to them!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #4144
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've started keeping track of my "conversion rate" - how many of the books I'm buying I am actually reading.

Last year I managed about 30%, and about half of those were library loans, which have a built-in time limit. This year I have so far read 1 of the 17 books I have gained, and am in the middle of a second. The one I have read was a novella, and a freebie at that. The one I am now reading is my Prime lending library loan, which has a pseudo-deadline (I get one loan a calendar month, which means I need to finish this one before the end of February or I lose my February loan. Not that I know what to borrow for February.) That's not really a great record, although it is early days.
This was one of my besetting problems in the pbook days. I'd buy the books I really wanted to read and borrow the books I kinda wanted to read from the library. And then the library books became the top priority. I'm much better now, but things still trip me up, like the monthly KOLL book. I'm usually not all that interested in whatever I've found to borrow, but the exploding nature of it adds a false allure. I forgot to borrow my January book, though, and I'll let February go until month's end and maybe I'll forget again.

I'm trying not to buy any books at all, but I am doing a similar tracking of my conversion rate from last year. I hope to have read a reasonable percentage of them by the end of this year.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #4145
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm pleased to say that of the ten books I've acquired so far this year (five bought, five freebies), I've already read six of them, with a seventh underway.

But I'm not doing so well in reading my 2008 purchases. Perhaps if I stop making 2017 purchases I'll have time to get to them!
I'm focusing on reading last year's books, as I figure they've retained more of the lustre of the new shiny. The further back I go, the more the "what was I thinking?" element kicks in.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #4146
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I've been pondering whether or not to buy the current StoryBundle, as it's got three books (two basic, one bonus) that are on my wishlist. Since I have the first book in the series - also part of the bundle - I started reading it yesterday to see what I thought.

One thing I noticed very quickly was that there was a mistake on the very first page. So far, I've read the prologue and first two chapters, and there are some really annoying proofreading issues. However, looking at the preview on the StoryBundle site, it looks like at least some of those have been fixed.

I might end up buying in at the basic level to get the updated text and the first two sequels, simply because the time I'd spend fixing the book (and my frustration at the need to do so) has value. I'll probably read a bit further before committing to that, just to be safe, but so far I like the style and am interested to see what happens next.

As for book four in the series... I can always keep it on my wishlist and get it later. That's cheaper than paying for the bonus tier. However - tricksy SB! - the two "newsletter freebies" also have sequels in the bonus tier. That's definitely a factor to consider, but not without sampling the free ones first. (And the clock is ticking!)

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-07-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #4147
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This was one of my besetting problems in the pbook days. I'd buy the books I really wanted to read and borrow the books I kinda wanted to read from the library. And then the library books became the top priority. I'm much better now, but things still trip me up, like the monthly KOLL book. I'm usually not all that interested in whatever I've found to borrow, but the exploding nature of it adds a false allure. I forgot to borrow my January book, though, and I'll let February go until month's end and maybe I'll forget again.
Yes, reading inferior KOLL books ahead of much better books I already own is definitely a problem for me. There are some KOLL books I want to read, but they're often pretty long and I'd rather not have to make time for them now. I've been trying to find some short story collections or novellas I can borrow - something I can read without interfering with my main book - so I don't feel like I'm wasting one of my Prime perks.

Bizarrely, though, I am quite happy to ignore the Kindle First freebies almost every month. (Partly because I know they'll always be available from the KOLL.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #4148
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm getting completely disaffected with pretty much all "free" books, and will let my KU subscription expire when it comes up. Frankly, my reading time is too precious to waste it on bad books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #4149
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm getting completely disaffected with pretty much all "free" books, and will let my KU subscription expire when it comes up. Frankly, my reading time is too precious to waste it on bad books.
I'm tending towards this too. Although the chance of finding another wonderful series or author is still a temptation.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #4150
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I'm tending towards this too. Although the chance of finding another wonderful series or author is still a temptation.
The only freebies I read are the ones that are out of copyright. I have too many things that I have paid actual dollars for to clutter my TBR with things that I didn't pay for. I understand the discovery aspect, but I try to let the internet do that for me. I'm too lazy I guess
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #4151
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, but then there will be bound to be someone here who tries the author and reports back.

I have found great books from independents. Nathan Lowell comes to mind. But they are few and far between. And I already don't have the time to read everything that I want to read.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #4152
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I've been pondering whether or not to buy the current StoryBundle, as it's got three books (two basic, one bonus) that are on my wishlist. Since I have the first book in the series - also part of the bundle - I started reading it yesterday to see what I thought.
(sigh) I bit, but only at the basic level. Part of what tipped me over the edge is that the omnibus containing the three key books also contained some short stories that are not - to my knowledge - available elsewhere. In fact, the omnibus itself doesn't go up for general sale until next month, which poses a slight problem for adding it to my Goodreads collection.

As for the other three books I was eyeing on the bonus tier, Amazon currently has one of them in a one-dollar omnibus for a buck. Checking price history, this looks like a temporary price drop, so I took the plunge. I'm holding off on the other two because I can always get them later.

So, $6 total spent for a total of eleven novels in six files - which is less than I would've paid for the two novels I was primarily after, so it's a net win. I regard the other bundle books as possibly-interesting freebies that do me no harm by languishing in my to-process folder with some angry robots, open roads, and a handful of other StoryBundle newsletter freebies. I don't begrudge them a few megabytes on a terabyte drive.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #4153
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Bought the eARC of The Gathering Edge, the 20th book in the Liaden Universe. Which I don't regret, since it meets all my criteria, and I've already devoured it completely for the first pass. But it's being able to buy the occasional eARC like this, at an elevated price, that makes me really want to control my inappropriate binge buying of books that languish in my TBR for ages.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #4154
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Feb 8 - first book dollars of the year

I spent my first book dollars (that weren't gift cards) of the year last night when I dropped the subscription cost of The Strand Magazine.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #4155
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

One of Diana Wynne Jones' books that I haven't read is on offer for £0.99. That makes three books bought this month, and I still have two unread purchases from last month...

OTOH, I have now read all the freebies I picked up this year.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-08-2017 at 03:59 PM.