Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
Strathopic
Strathopic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw1, Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
[Kindle 4] bottom third of screen broken -> render only on top 2/3

An unknown incident left the bottom right area of this k4's screen stuck. Fortunately, the top part still works well.

I'm trying to get KOReader to render books only on the top part. I've gotten almost there by increasing the bottom margin size (DCREREADER_CONFIG_B_MARGIN_SIZES), but the max effective value leaves a couple of lines of text below the unusable part (2nd picture).

Any ideas on how to push those last couple of lines up? Ideally the whole UI would be above that height, but we'd be more than happy with getting the entire text to render.

I've read that android devices can use a "patch.lua" file to change the resolution, but had no luck making something like that work here.

On a side note, I'm thinking that being able to mask one or more areas of a broken screen so that KOReader would render around them would a cool feature.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	default_settings.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	189692   Click image for larger version

Name:	max_bottom_margin.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	508.2 KB
ID:	189693  
Strathopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You can do the same thing on Kindle more easily (although I'm not sure otoh if you can do it as persistently).

See here for an example:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...evice.lua#L123

It'll probably suffice to add a similar viewport to the Kindle4 definition:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L319-L328

According to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle_4 it's 800 × 600, so for a viewport that's presumably something like:

Code:
viewport = Geom:new{x=0, y=0, w=600, h=500}, -- 800 - 300 = 500, just a guess but easy to adjust
If there's something weird going on (like the screen is upside down) then you'll have to use something like y=300, h=800 instead.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Strathopic

Very nifty. Thanks, Frenzie!

In addition to the viewport, I added a new "require" to device.lua:
Code:
local Geom = require("ui/geometry")
This patch probably won't survive a KOReader update, but we can live with that.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_geom.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	189695  
Old 10-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which values did you end up using?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Strathopic

w=600, h=485 ;D (half of the status bar is under the broken part).

Now taking a quick look at geometry.lua to see if it does compound rectangles.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard

It can do various tricks with rectangles, but I don't think rectangles that aren't actually shaped like rectangles is one of them. But given that everything else builds on proper rectangles I doubt it makes a difference regardless.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Strathopic, you are best to dump your broken Kindle and buy a new Kindle. The screen is broken and chances are it will only get worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #8
Strathopic

True that. It was rather cool to see the line slowly crawl upwards, leaving everything under it frozen.

It seems to have stabilized, though! It's been like the attached img for a few hundred page turns so far.

I made sure to set the viewport a couple pixels above the unusable area. My thinking being avoiding asking the device to update that part of the screen.

Even though replacing it wouldn't be expensive, I think it was worth the trouble if we can squeeze a few more books out of it as a secondary ereader.

I'll edit this post if it gets any more borked