Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
edthesped
edthesped began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3 Voyage
Oasis 3 not as nice as Voyage or is it defective?

I opted to keep my Voyage and upgrade to the Oasis 3. So far I'm underwhelmed but am thinking my Oasis 3 may be defective. First off my the text on the Oasis 3 is nowhere near as sharp as the Voyage. Second, when reading in the dark I notice a very slight pulse in the lighting, I read at low light when reading in the dark, around 4 or 5. I had my daughter and wife check them out and both came to the same conclusion I did.
edthesped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, the Oasis 3 is not as sharp as the Voyage. As to the pulse thing, no idea, I don't read in the dark.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
edthesped

Thanks for the confirmation, it's a shame as I like ergonomics better than the voyage. I can approach the sharpness by pushing the warmth past the high teens but still get the low light brightness pulse, it's ever so slight but I find it distracting when reading in the dark though it's unnoticeable in even a dimly lit room. Unfortunately I like to read in bed and the wife goes to sleep much earlier than I do so I'm kind of stuck reading in the dark.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Huh. The text on my O3 is every bit as sharp as my Voyage. My Voyage always had the best lit screen out of all my kindles. It was even a tad sharper than my O2, although I read on that one fine. It it also sharper than the O1.
For me they went O1-O2-Voyage. In that order. Then I got my O3 and its pretty much exactly as my Voyage. It might even be a tad better. I just compared them again with both lights off. And I can't even tell a difference. With the light on and at warm, I find the contrast better than the Voyage even. I am guessing that is the different background.

I don't see any flickering on my O3 and I would notice that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't see any flickering on my O3 and I would notice that.
Ditto. I even took a slo mo video on my iPhone to see if it flickered at night time settings and couldn’t see any flicker at all. Maybe, indeed, you have a defective one...
Could you somehow take a slo mo video and show us at all?

Last edited by cerem0ny; 08-09-2019 at 12:34 AM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
madz00
madz00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Me too I noticed the flickering. I tried to disable the night mode in the options to see if is related, I will report back what I find. I'm thinking is something related to the auto light sensor or the night mode, let's see.
madz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Huh. The text on my O3 is every bit as sharp as my Voyage. My Voyage always had the best lit screen out of all my kindles. It was even a tad sharper than my O2, although I read on that one fine. It it also sharper than the O1.
For me they went O1-O2-Voyage. In that order. Then I got my O3 and its pretty much exactly as my Voyage. It might even be a tad better. I just compared them again with both lights off. And I can't even tell a difference. With the light on and at warm, I find the contrast better than the Voyage even. I am guessing that is the different background.
My Voyage certainly has sharper text than all the Oases, and lighter background. The Oasis 3 comes closest, but still, when I look closely, the text on the Voyage is much sharper. It's not as clearly visible at a distance, even a short one, only when I put my nose near the screen (I'm very nearsighted and usually read with my glasses on, there is not much difference then)
Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
edthesped

For some reason my reply didn't make it through so I'm going to retry...

After a little pondering, I peeled the BoxWave screen protector back and immediately saw an improvement in crispness so I peeled it all of the way off. Now I'd say text sharpness is on par to very slightly worse than the Voyage but only if I scrutinize. I spent a little time standing in the closet trying to see if the flicker was still present and don't think I notice it but will know for sure when I read tonight. As a clarification what I'm seeing is more of a random brightness shift somewhere in the neighborhood of +/- 1/4 point on the brightness scale, just enough to make me question whether or not it's happening.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could that be the auto light? I always turn that off as it drives me nuts. I wiggle and fiddle all the time and every slight turn towards and away from a light source would make the light go up and down, not much most of the time, just a couple of notches.

Ah, so you had a screen protector on it. I had no idea you can put those on kindles. That is yet another layer on top.

Sirtel, I think there are such variations in screens. Mine are so very close now. And I always loved the Voyage screen best. Its on par with my new O3 so I am happy. I am farsighted with bifocals. I guess I read too much, I had them at a fairly young age. The bifocals that is, I have had glasses since I was 2 years old.

Last edited by Atunah; 08-08-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I don't use the auto light either, for the same reason. But it's weird that it changes in a completely dark room.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard

Yeah, that sounds weird. I guess it could be defective. There should not be any flickering. That is just asking for a headache.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Does the Oasis 3 have the nightlight feature like the Voyage? when that's on, it gradually decreases the backlight in low-light/dark conditions, otherwise, it should reduce brightness and stop in the dark. If the pulsing goes away with the screen protector off, maybe the screen protector was directing light over to the light sensor a little bit and the device was trying to adjust?
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the contrast on my O3 is very close to that of my Voyages. It may be that the whiter screen of the Voyage gives the appearance of more contrast but the sharpness of the text looks the same on both devices to me. I have 3 Voyages with pretty even screen coloring and they all have a very slight difference in contrast. As much as I love my Voyages, the 7" screen of the O3 makes it the winner for me. I haven't seen any flickering on mine, but I only have the warm light set at 2 if that makes any difference.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
I was also a bit weary at first, and was pleasantly surprised to see the O3 match my Voyage in sharpness and contrast; if the Voyage is sharper it is really difficult for me to tell, but then again my eyes are 52 years old.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurianLegends View Post
I was also a bit weary at first, and was pleasantly surprised to see the O3 match my Voyage in sharpness and contrast; if the Voyage is sharper it is really difficult for me to tell, but then again my eyes are 52 years old.
The contrast is about the same and the difference in sharpness is only visible when I put my nose practically against the screen. Possibly only very nearsighted person can see it at all.