Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
In addition to having buttons, the Forma's shape is noticeably superior in my opinion; the part where the buttons are is slightly angled up and it makes a huge difference. And then the Kobo user interface is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kindle; sorting by author last name, grouping books by author, etc.
Sorting on the device isn't all that important to me. I considered the Forma, but there were complaints about quality control. And my Oasis 2 was less than a year old. So I decided to wait for the next Kobo flagship.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
A Mini with Clara screen and software? Take my money NOW!!!!
With side page turn buttons too if it's not too much to ask.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I have a feeling we will be seeing a new Kobo this fall. I bet we see another Kindle as well ..
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
.........it's been what now...a year since the Clara???
A waterproofed Clara would suit me. If they would reuse the body of the original 6" Aura, that would be even better.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #20
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Ive decided to keep my troublesome Glo HD on life support (charging every 3-4 days) until we see a new Kobo, there should be one along in the next few weeks judging by the historic release dates on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_eReader

Worst comes to worst Ill just splash out on a Forma, the more Youtube reviews I watch the more I like it but it is very plastic for the money and I dont like the pattern of the rubber on the back but if the next Kobo isnt great Ill go for it, Ive pretty much ruled out all other brands in the last week or two of research.

Actually I might just chance buying another Glo HD on Ebay and hope the battery is still good if the next Kobo doesnt live up to expectations...
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
A waterproofed Clara would suit me. If they would reuse the body of the original 6" Aura, that would be even better.
Then you might like the Tolino Vision 4 HD. Exact same width and depth as the Kobo Aura (but 1/2" (13mm) longer because of the home button). Same weight as the Kobo Aura, same flush mounted screen, but the screen is top of the line now (300 dpi with 13 LEDs — 7 white, 6 yellow). Waterproof. The firmware is "sparse" however. No "bolding" for the fonts (but you can add your own dark fonts, in my case Constantia and DejaVu Serif E-Ink). Hardware-wise I think it's everything you would want — the firmware might be the deal killer for you.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Ive decided to keep my troublesome Glo HD on life support (charging every 3-4 days) until we see a new Kobo, there should be one along in the next few weeks judging by the historic release dates on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobo_eReader
But, we haven't seen any signs suggesting something is coming. Usually by this point, someone would have seen something on FCC or in the firmware. Nothing has shown up, so I suspect Kobo is not going to release a device this year. My wallet will be happy with that
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Actually I might just chance buying another Glo HD on Ebay and hope the battery is still good if the next Kobo doesnt live up to expectations...
Kobo is currently selling manufacturer refurbished Glo HDs with a 1 year warranty. I think they're probably overpriced at $90, however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Glo-HD...4AAOSwSiBcgZe6
Old 08-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Then you might like the Tolino Vision 4 HD... The firmware is "sparse" however — the firmware might be the deal killer for you.
You summed up my feelings exactly. I'll just wait on Kobo. My Clara's a great little reader. I just wish it were waterproof.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #25
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
[...]Nothing has shown up, so I suspect Kobo is not going to release a device this year. [...]
Maybe Kobo invest the money in the firmware instead to make it more robust.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You summed up my feelings exactly. I'll just wait on Kobo. My Clara's a great little reader. I just wish it were waterproof.
It's too bad because if you liked the original Aura, the Visions are basically the same thing (with better screens). I think the original Tolino Shine could run Kobo firmware, but I don't think the Visions ever could.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
I think Pocketbook "Touch HD 3" is actually the best device that we can find today with "6" inch screen, buttons and HZO Protection™ IPx7 (waterproof) . Equipment that has a very good balance of quality and price.

Pocketbook "Touch HD 3
Screen : "6"
Waterproof : Yes
Mechanical buttons : Yes (x4)
Audio : Yes
Bluettoth : Yes
weight : 155 g
Price : ~ 130$

In addition, it has excellent contrast measured : 114 . Which is almost like Kobo Aura ONE with kontrast : 130. Kindle Oasis 2 : 87.
(The choice of buttons, waterproofness then depends exclusively on the preferences of each ).

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-05-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
madz00
madz00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
In addition, it has excellent contrast measured : 114 . Which is almost like Kobo Aura ONE with kontrast : 130. Kindle Oasis 2 : 87.
(The choice of buttons, waterproofness then depends exclusively on the preferences of each ).
Hi Michal Jankic,
Please where did you find the data about contrast measurement?
I’m interested in doing some research about the subject...
madz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #29
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra H2O, Clara HD, Inkpad 3 & Inkpad 4, BOOX Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by madz00 View Post
Hi Michal Jankic,
Please where did you find the data about contrast measurement?
I’m interested in doing some research about the subject...
Hi
Yes, here : https://www.lesnumeriques.com/liseus...er-n22420.html

PS: Sorry !
I made a mistake about the Kindle Oasis 2017, because it has a much better contrast than I wrote.

PB Touch HD 3 https://www.lesnumeriques.com/liseus...2773/test.html
Kindle Oasis : https://www.lesnumeriques.com/liseus...1485/test.html
KOBO Forma https://www.lesnumeriques.com/liseus...9063/test.html

...etc

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-05-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #30
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I think Pocketbook "Touch HD 3" is actually the best device that we can find today with "6" inch screen, buttons and HZO Protection™ IPx7 (waterproof) . Equipment that has a very good balance of quality and price.

Pocketbook "Touch HD 3
Screen : "6"
Waterproof : Yes
Mechanical buttons : Yes (x4)
Audio : Yes
Bluettoth : Yes
weight : 155 g
Price : ~ 130$

Do you know if it shows the cover of the book you're currently reading as the screensaver when its sleeping?
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote