Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unable to download some Epubs from Kobo

Over the past 2 days, I have come across 3 DRM'ed books that can not be dowloaded as epub via ADE. ADE chokes on the epub download URL, and when I try that URL on a web browser, it is, indeed 404.

I tried reporting this to Kobo, and got a credit for one of the books, but I don't think the issue got passed on or reported to anyone who would be able to solve this kind of problem. After a bit of experimentation, I found a Free book that replicates the issue.

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/enough-40

I would be interested if anyone else is able to try to download this EPUB and see if it's unique to my accoun or a recent failure of Kobo server. (I do not know if the resource UUID in the ACSM file is unique per user, and we all get a unique epub, or if it's the same encrypted epub everyone gets.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I had a problem with one I bought yesterday. Something was wrong with the .acsm file, it was much smaller than usual and didn't contain any of the usual fulfilment data, just an error message about a missing resource. I get normal .acsm files for older books, it is just the most recent purchase that has the problem. I reported it to Kobo helpdesk and they have escalated it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I had a problem with one I bought yesterday. Something was wrong with the .acsm file, it was much smaller than usual and didn't contain any of the usual fulfilment data, just an error message about a missing resource. I get normal .acsm files for older books, it is just the most recent purchase that has the problem. I reported it to Kobo helpdesk and they have escalated it.
I had that problem once as well, but thiis is quite different. The ACSM file is intact, but the epub file is missing.

from some testing, it looks like ADE downloads the epub file from this URL:
http://ecimages.shortcovers.com/<uuid>.epub

The UUID is found in the ACSM file.

For the Free example I linked:
<resource>urn:uuid:b0b0bd54-c796-451b-8600-0d80ff96166e</resource>

would therefore become:
http://ecimages.shortcovers.com/b0b0...0ff96166e.epub

(It finally occured to me that since it's a free book, I can test this myself.. the UUID, and epub download URL, remain the same for different user accounts.

Kobo is experiencing some kind of massive systematic failure, and reports about it can't get past the 1st tier support.

Edit: to put my "massive" in proper perspective,, I really can't figure out why Kobo is still paying Adobe for DRM epubs,, the number people using those, (other than for DRM stripping) must be minuscule.

Last edited by rashkae; 07-25-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Over the past 2 days, I have come across 3 DRM'ed books that can not be dowloaded as epub via ADE. ADE chokes on the epub download URL, and when I try that URL on a web browser, it is, indeed 404.

I tried reporting this to Kobo, and got a credit for one of the books, but I don't think the issue got passed on or reported to anyone who would be able to solve this kind of problem. After a bit of experimentation, I found a Free book that replicates the issue.

I would be interested if anyone else is able to try to download this EPUB and see if it's unique to my accoun or a recent failure of Kobo server. (I do not know if the resource UUID in the ACSM file is unique per user, and we all get a unique epub, or if it's the same encrypted epub everyone gets.
I tried with this book and ADE cannot download it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
When I tried the freebie, the error from ADE was E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN. From a web search, it appears that this is due to an issue on the supplier's end with an ebook file that was not correctly installed on their servers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I tried the freebie, the error from ADE was E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN. From a web search, it appears that this is due to an issue on the supplier's end with an ebook file that was not correctly installed on their servers.

This is just ADE giving faulty error messages. As documented above, the Encyrpted epub file is outright missing. Err, sorry, I guess that's actually exactly what you said
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is just ADE giving faulty error messages. As documented above, the Encyrpted epub file is outright missing. Err, sorry, I guess that's actually exactly what you said
Pretty much. At least, it kept me from panicking and mucking with my setup when I ran into this a while back.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

@rashkae: The freebie is now working so might be worth trying the two purchases.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I had this last week with the purchases. Kobo support telling me to just turn on WiFi and download I explained I want to do it via ade then I pull through calibre but didn't tell them that lol. In the end (this was over two separate chats) I got purchases refunded. And bought the three books throu Google play

I also told them the VIP membership was a waste and they refunded me. The didn't really care that in ten books bought in two transactions. Three would not open.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I’ve bought five books from Kobo this week and three of the ACSM files I downloaded were bad. I was able to get the books using Kobo Desktop and OBOK but whenever I encounter any glitch in my usual download and deDRM process it makes me nervous.

I tried downloading all three again today and the ACSM files are still bad. One example is Child’s Play by Reginald Hill (it was briefly on sale for 2.99/2.69 VIP ).

The error message I get from ADE is
Unable to download
Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem:
E_ADEPT_NO_TOKEN

The ACSM, opened in Notepad, reads
<error xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/adept" data="E_URLLINK_NO_SUCH_RESOURCE resid urn:uuid:22ea1cfa-816f-46ab-8b83-369426f3149f http://acs4.shortcovers.com:8080/fulfillment/URLLink.acsm"/>

Trying to open the link gives me
Unable to open http://acs4.shortcovers.com:8080/ful...LLink.acsm%22/. The internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0.404)

I know I should at least report the problem to Kobo but I hate phones and chat and they seem to have eliminated the email option. Hopefully a lot of other people will complain and Kobo will eventually get it fixed.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Message them on chat. I won't miss my VIP membership. Some of the books on my wishlist are cheaper on Google play
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Just ran into the same issue with the https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/in-absentia-6

Update: Got a quick refund and bought the book from Google Play instead, from where it downloaded without an issue.

Last edited by dmapr; 07-28-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added the updated
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #13
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@rashkae: The freebie is now working so might be worth trying the two purchases.
1 purchase has been returned for credit, so I can't test.

2nd purchase is still broken.

And interestingly with the fixed Freebie, ADE now downloads from an entirely different address, and is using https:// instead of http:// Alas, my ancient copy of ADE was unable to download this book, but that's not something I can really complain about. (I had all my ebook downloading and conversion tools working with Wine, something really not worth the effort and and I did not want to change. I have since finally caved to the inevitable and created a Windows VM for this task.)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Does Google books have DRM?

Yes, I've had trouble with response from Kobo in the past. I bought a book and while the cover was correct, the contents were a different book. Tried to get it fixed for more than 6 months before I threw in the towel and asked for a refund. They still have it for sale. Still the same error.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I tried that free book and was able to download it no problem. I'm using ADE 2.0.1 for Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote