Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
bearow
bearow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Exclamation factory reset bootloop

Hello,

I had some problems with my Aura HD (books couldn't been saved on my reader), so I tried to factory reset (from the settings menu). After that I am constantly seeing "restoring" screen and when it loads up, the screen goes blank for 10-15 seconds, and factory reset starts again. Has somebody any ideas what to try?
I tried manual reset, turning it off and turning it on when plugged to pc. None of them worked, same factory reset bootloop continues.

If only I could find a way to connect it to my pc so I could paste a backup or something(?)
bearow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Have you tried to do a factory reset using the buttons? This is:

- Make sure the battery is charged.
- Force a power off by holding the power button down for about 20 seconds.
- Hold the light button down while switching it on.
- Release the light button when the screen changes or the LED change.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like a hardware issue. The only fixable thing is to replace the internal SD card and write a new image to it. It might even work to write the image to the existing card, but I don't think I would trust it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
bearow

Thanks for the reply,

I didn't use any SD card (internal memory was enough for me).
I tried to do factory reset using light button and power button, and it just start to factory reset loop again. Maybe SD card with backup will work, I didn't think of that. I will surely try and reply if it worked.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Davidfor was actually referring to the INTERNAL SD card that is actually what the INTERNAL MEMORY is (as opposed to the EXTERNAL SD card that's easy to pop in and out and expands memory). To get to the internal SD card you'd need to take the device apart.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
bearow

It's been a long time, but now I got the time to try and repair it. The only thing that is missing is a working image to copy & paste it (or something?).
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have sent you a PM with a link to the image. For how to use this, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. It is for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools needed are the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
bearow

Thank you very much! I will write here if it worked or not.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
bearow

It worked like a charm, you are my hero davidfor :-)
Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
I've experienced similar problem with mu Aura HD. Similar, since it was not a constant loop, yet after starting the device sometimes it rebooted immediately and some other time I was able to get the main screen and even open a book, then it restarted or went to sleep.

I followed David's suggestions and got the internal SD card out, created an image from it, copied it to the new SD card and after replacing the card, my device was brought back to life! Yay!

I also considered putting a fresh image onto the new card, but yet wanted to try use my old system (well all the stats were there and pictures drawn by my daughter - that I really wanted to get back ) while keeping the option of a fresh image in case when the old one would turn out to be corrupted or unusable any other way.

Well eventually I was successful with bringing back the old data from old SD card. Therefore I want to thank David for the clues and suggestions in this thread. They are really very professional and work like a charm Thx!

Last edited by AdamV; 08-20-2019 at 02:44 AM.
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootloop, factory reset, reset