Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Empty Pen
Empty Pen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Glo HD, PW3, Voyage
Aura One swipe page turns sometimes fail

I upgraded from my Glo HD to the Aura One that arrived yesterday directly from Kobo. I'm loving the A1 but I've been noticing that it doesn't always register a page turn when I swipe the screen. It's not all the time just say 1 out of 10 page turns suddenly the A1 just sits there. I can swipe several times with my thumb and nothing happens. If I tap it works every time but I find the tap zones unhelpful when I switch to my left hand.

I've tried several books, some downloaded from Kobo, others from Calibre both kepub and epub. They all exhibit this behavior. It'll be fine for a while and then suddenly it stops turning pages via swipe. I have to tap the next page zone and then after that I'm good for another stretch before it does it again.

I'm on firmware version 4.4.9349 which it updated to while syncing. I've tried doing a factory reset and turning the wifi off to stay on 4.1.7729 but it does the same thing.

Is this normal for the model?
Empty Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
What you're describing doesn't sound normal. Once in a great while my Aura One will fail to register a page turn swipe for me, but no where near as often as 1 in 10 pages. And when it does fail to recognize the swipe, simply swiping again will turn the page. I would suggest trying to restart your device, but you've already done that.

I'm not sure what the issue could be, since you say that tapping always works for you. I wish you luck in getting it sorted out.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Make sure you don't accidentally touch the screen with your hand when you move in to swipe. That upsets the screen and leads to either wrong page turns (too back/back and forth) or no page turn at all (depending on the timing).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pen View Post
I upgraded from my Glo HD to the Aura One that arrived yesterday directly from Kobo. I'm loving the A1 but I've been noticing that it doesn't always register a page turn when I swipe the screen. It's not all the time just say 1 out of 10 page turns suddenly the A1 just sits there. I can swipe several times with my thumb and nothing happens. If I tap it works every time but I find the tap zones unhelpful when I switch to my left hand.
As an aside, why not change the tap zones so that the bottom part of the screen does page forward? Then it won't matter which hand you're using to hold/tap.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Empty Pen

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe the screen is defective and am working with Kobo on it. I was holding it in the palm of my left hand and using my index finger to swipe, much like one would a paper book, and it still required several swipes. It seems to be localized to the right side of the screen.

As to the tap zones, I have both my Glo HD and the Aura One set to top and bottom tap zones as that's easiest when I'm sitting up. If I recline or read in bed I usually hold the top of the book and that requires me to swipe to move forward. That's where I first noticed the issue.

Waiting to hear back from Kobo but hopeful this gets resolved quickly. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
Good Day. I'm wondering if your problem was resolved ? I received the Aura One for Christmas and have had problems page turning since then. I came from a kobo Glo, and have owned virtually all the kobo previous readers and several Sony readers before that.
I plan to ck my version number tonight and maybe reboot the reader in hopes it will fix the problem.
To be clear i can tap or swipe 3-4 times before it changes the page.
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Empty Pen

I ended up sending my Aura One back for a refund. The way the return policy is setup I wouldn't have had a chance to get a refund with the shipping time involved if I didn't take it straight away. I ended up going back to my Glo HD and then got a Voyage a few months after. I use both daily and keep looking at Kobo devices to see if there's a device that I can justify upgrading the Glo HD. Since it works so well I hate to switch it out after the issues I went through with the Aura One. It was a nice reader but I keep looking and will most likely purchase a new Kobo device to upgrade the Glo HD.

I would suggest contacting customer support if your reader isn't registering page turns. There's bound to be a few problem devices in a large production run and it seems we were the (un)lucky ones to get them. Customer support seemed helpful for me and I'm sure they'll be able to help you as well. Hope you get your issue taken care of so you can get back to reading!

Tags
aura one, page turns, swipe