Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
Nelebh
Nelebh began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+, Kobo Clara HD, Hanlin V5 (not in use)
Onyx Boox C67ML Stuck on storage screen, fixable?

I've seen this Onyx Boox C67ML on eBay, and I'm wondering if it would be a fixable thing. Have anyone seen this before, or now how to fix it?

The device seems to be stuck on the warning screen that appears when you connect it to the PC to move files between one and another, and became stuck and unresponsive (doesn't answer to any combination of physical buttons) after unsafely removing it from the PC.

I've seen a similar thing happen with a hard disk and a TV, for example, when the hard disk was connected before the TV was switched on, and both became unresponsive to anything when switching on the TV. They had to be forced to shutdown, after which both became working again. But what about an ereader?
Nelebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Hard to tell, since we don't know what the seller has tried in terms of buttons. If you could get it into recovery or download mode, it should be possible to reset it or reflash the firmware - in fact, in that case it might be possible to simply reboot.
Alternative to force reboot might be opening it up and disconnecting the battery. All without guarantee that it would work of course, but might be worth a try as it's not very expensive.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #3
Nelebh
Nelebh began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+, Kobo Clara HD, Hanlin V5 (not in use)
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Hard to tell, since we don't know what the seller has tried in terms of buttons. If you could get it into recovery or download mode, it should be possible to reset it or reflash the firmware - in fact, in that case it might be possible to simply reboot.
Alternative to force reboot might be opening it up and disconnecting the battery. All without guarantee that it would work of course, but might be worth a try as it's not very expensive.
That's what I would do, yes, if it were a phone. But does the C67 have a recovery mode you can use it to flash an image? And does ADB/fastboot work for flashing using a PC terminal, or the only option is using the Rockchip tool of the RK3026 E-Readers Kitchen thread?

My main doubt, though, is how do you flash the original firmware back, if usually there are available only the
update.zip files?
I don't remember seeing a full .img file for the system partition, or a zip package with all of them (bootloader, system, recovery, etc).

But maybe it would be fixable simply by doing a proper reboot or by manually unmounting the internal partition. I'm still thinking about bidding or not.

Enviado desde mi Aquaris M5 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by Nelebh; 06-28-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Nelebh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelebh View Post
I've seen this Onyx Boox C67ML on eBay, and I'm wondering if it would be a fixable thing. Have anyone seen this before, or now how to fix it?

The device seems to be stuck on the warning screen that appears when you connect it to the PC to move files between one and another, and became stuck and unresponsive (doesn't answer to any combination of physical buttons) after unsafely removing it from the PC.

I've seen a similar thing happen with a hard disk and a TV, for example, when the hard disk was connected before the TV was switched on, and both became unresponsive to anything when switching on the TV. They had to be forced to shutdown, after which both became working again. But what about an ereader?
1. This device must be still under manufacturers warranty. You could ask Onyx for service and let them to repair this device
2. It is just assumption, but I guess the problem of that device could be easy to solve. I would connect this device for 10-15 minutes to a PC (via USB) and try to long press the power button (reset). Or just exchange the battery. Most likely the problem is the battery.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, ereader, filesystem, storage, stuck