Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Trouble upgrading to new version

I use calibre generally a couple times a week, and always upgrade to the latest version when I notice the friendly little reminder up in the corner Usually, after upgrading, next time I open the program I notice that the version information is updated accordingly.

So, today I log in and see that version 0.6.19 is available. My current version was listed as 0.6.18. I click on the download link and do the upgrade like I normally have, only this time after going through the download process and restarting the program, it immediately came up with the option to upgrade to version 0.6.20 and showed the current version as 0.6.16 So first I figure "huh?" and then I figure "whatever, I'll just do it again for the new one"... except when I click on the download link, I notice the little tidbit at the top of the page advising me "If you are upgrading from a version older than 0.6.17, please uninstall calibre first.".

So now I'm not sure what to do. I was on version .18 tried to upgrade to version .19, now it says I've got .16 and wants me to uninstall before upgrading to .20 ... I'm scared to uninstall! Will I lose all my painstakingly formatted and metadata'd library if I uninstall? Or should I just forget about upgrading altogether and just leave well enough alone? Help!
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just uninstall calibre from your system. There may be two versions installed (the windows installer changed at 0.6.17). Once you have uninstalled, go ahead and install 0.6.20
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Kahu
a Reader
Kahu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch
but the library will still be intact and all her edited data?? Or does that depend on if she has her library and info under the main Calibre folder, or elsewhere?

I'm about to do the same thing but I don't want to lose my work either. 8^)

thanks...
Kahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A Calibre uninstall never touches the library, so all ebooks and associated metadata stay intact.

If in doubt make a copy of the Calibre ebook library folder. This is always a good thing to do periodically anyway as part of standard system maintenance.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote