Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
No. I want to be relaxed and comfortable to read. I'd rather curl up on my couch or read in bed.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #47
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I'll read color comic books on a PC, but I would rather read books, manga and articles on an e-ink device. Even so, it's not quite as comfortable as reading physical comic books. So, I'm hoping there will eventually be a large, affordable, color e-ink device I can use for that.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2023, 02:55 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I'll read color comic books on a PC, but I would rather read books, manga and articles on an e-ink device. Even so, it's not quite as comfortable as reading physical comic books. So, I'm hoping there will eventually be a large, affordable, color e-ink device I can use for that.
I use an Android tablet for comics. I'm currently using the otherwise very outdated Samsung 12.2" P900. Cheap Samsung refuse to update the version of Android it runs. A shame as it is otherwise still a very capable device and comics look great on it.

Surface Pros also make great comic readers and their 3:2 aspect ratio actually fits American comics better than the normal 16:9 screens. But unfortunately they are a bit heavy to hold for extended periods.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:19 AM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
No., but...

Since I retired (once or twice) I find I read the internet mostly on a little computer. In fact though I have 4 computers ready to go I usually use a small, out of support Chromebook my wife turned in. I have a stand that holds the screen up and extends the keyboard out, nailed and taped to a wooden stand alone tray from Walmart. I just have to pivot the office chair to the side to use it.

Though the Chromebook has a touch pad, I use a mouse that rests on the Office Desk next to the wooden stand.

An Office Desk and a Big Windows machine are there for larger work that has to be laid out. If I travel I have several tablets and a newer fold-able Chromebook that will hold a battery charge.

On the 3rd side of that Office Desk, I have a work table.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:22 PM   #50
PredicateD
PredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with othersPredicateD plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen.)
Not particularly. I'd much rather read on e-ink or on my phone. I do enough reading from a monitor at work.
PredicateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2023, 05:57 AM   #51
DrivingTest
DrivingTest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For me, a book has to be something I can hold in my hand. If there's something in a story that I want to check up on, I'll do this after I've finished reading, or maybe after a chapter. Doing this all the time while reading to me would just distract from the story.
DrivingTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #52
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I prefer reading in bed. However, back support is not that comfortable, so reading time is not as long as it is in a chair. If anyone knows of a shaped pillow that works in a bed, please provide a link.

I did most of my earlier reading in first class, on airplanes. Back when ereaders were not illuminated, airline spot lighting was a great feature on redeye flights.

The tradeoff between ereader vs. PC seems to hinge on whether a keyboard/mouse is needed for the reading task. Almost all technical reading (e.g., Spinors) requires a PC, and occasionally, a notepad. Research and criticism require search engines, and I prefer using real browsers on PC's and Macs, not Kindle Fire or Apple iPad devices. Kobo Plus has forced me to read some of their books on a PC, due to page turning speed and number of words that can be put on a screen. So many bad books, so little reading time to scan through the book and reach the story endings.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:18 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
I prefer reading in bed.
That and the title of the thread gave me the image of someone laying in bed holding one of those enormous old CRT monitors over their face.

I imagine it would hurt more when you fall asleep while reading and drop your screen.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #54
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I prefer reading in bed. However, back support is not that comfortable, so reading time is not as long as it is in a chair. If anyone knows of a shaped pillow that works in a bed, please provide a link.

I did most of my earlier reading in first class, on airplanes. Back when ereaders were not illuminated, airline spot lighting was a great feature on redeye flights.

The tradeoff between ereader vs. PC seems to hinge on whether a keyboard/mouse is needed for the reading task. Almost all technical reading (e.g., Spinors) requires a PC, and occasionally, a notepad. Research and criticism require search engines, and I prefer using real browsers on PC's and Macs, not Kindle Fire or Apple iPad devices. Kobo Plus has forced me to read some of their books on a PC, due to page turning speed and number of words that can be put on a screen. So many bad books, so little reading time to scan through the book and reach the story endings.
Our bed can be raised front or back or both, although the last is very uncomfortable. We got the bed because of my wife's health, but it does have other benefits.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:05 PM   #55
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
I prefer reading in bed. However, back support is not that comfortable...
Have you tried those bed pillows with arms? It seems to me to be one of those concepts for which you can't really form an opinion without trying one. Google "bed pillow with arms".
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #56
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That and the title of the thread gave me the image of someone laying in bed holding one of those enormous old CRT monitors over their face.

I imagine it would hurt more when you fall asleep while reading and drop your screen.
A friend recently had surgery and was confined to bed for a while. He connected his computer to a TV and used a wireless mouse and keyboard. Apparently it was terribly blurry, lol.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:04 PM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Depends on how: I've connected my 2001 laptop to my 50" via HDMI and it was fine (all my desktop monitors are also 1080, so that is how I am calibrated )
OTOH If the TV was older/smaller, it might only do 720.
Trying to force/allow upscale might have less than stellar results
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:54 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Supporting ebook reading on TV (particularly 4K) is such an obvious use case that I'm surprised Amazon hasn't created a reading app for it. Of course, screen mirroring is one way to go but usually the aspect ratios are mismatched and there is letterboxing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #59
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Supporting ebook reading on TV (particularly 4K) is such an obvious use case that I'm surprised Amazon hasn't created a reading app for it. Of course, screen mirroring is one way to go but usually the aspect ratios are mismatched and there is letterboxing.
calibre's ebook-viewer works mostly OK for me on 1920x1080 for EPUB. It automatically shows 2 columns for a large enough window and aspect ratio and for full screen. (I read somewhere that the viewer will silently make an EPUB conversion of azw3.) 3840x2160 shows 4 columns, which is not what I'm looking for in books with large images.

Some books must must be getting cute with layout and various text areas overlap each other, but mosts books look great. Trying for screencasting no longer interests me.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:12 AM   #60
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Like others have said, I read comics and short blogs on the PC, but for long reading stints I'd prefer to be holding a smaller device in my favourite armchair or leaning against a well cushioned headrest in bed.

Does anyone use a colour e-ink device for reading comics? Been wondering if I should take the plunge. Pros/cons?
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote