Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 03:32 PM   #76
cbenslay
cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbenslay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm new here and this may not be the right place to ask, but it is kinda related to this discussion. Feel free to point me in the right direction!

I borrow books from the library and it uses the overdrive website. I do not have a Kindle so I read the books in my browser. Is there a way to get the book into some kind of reader that would be easier to read with. I have a very old Nook...

Thanks for any help.
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:06 PM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenslay View Post
I'm new here and this may not be the right place to ask, but it is kinda related to this discussion. Feel free to point me in the right direction!

I borrow books from the library and it uses the overdrive website. I do not have a Kindle so I read the books in my browser. Is there a way to get the book into some kind of reader that would be easier to read with. I have a very old Nook...

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the board

If you're comfortable reading books on LCD/LED displays, then you can download the Libby App to your phone or tablet and read library books on those devices.

Since I only listen to audiobooks, I'll leave your option to read books on dedicated eInk devices (Kindle, Kobo, Nook, etc) for others to explain.

Again, welcome.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2023, 03:40 AM   #78
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:

Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer and authorize the Nook through the program. When you borrow an overdrive book you should get the option to download the ePub. You will get a link (acsm?) and clicking on that the book downloads to ADE. From there you can transfer it to the Nook.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is!

(If you don't get the ePub option, check your settings and make sure the "Kindle"-box isn't ticked.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmbild (85).png
Views:	108
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	199236  

Last edited by Asawi; 01-25-2023 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Added picture
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:40 AM   #79
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
What Asawi said about Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

Some other options depend on what country you live in. For example, if you were considering a new device, Kobos integrate directly with Overdrive, meaning you don't need to use your computer and ADE as intermediaries. But this isn't supported in all countries.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #80
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
In the early days of borrowing library books through Overdrive-enabled libraries, the Kindle version would sometimes not be available, and I would end up trying to read the book with either the Overdrive or the Libby app. While this was on my Likebook Mars, which is an Android ereader, neither app was satisfactory, and I stopped using either one when I learned that I could just download a file that Adobe Digital Editions could use to retrieve the book, and then I could load the book in calibre, strip the DRM, and read it on my Likebook Mars with the reading app of my choice, which is Moon+ Reader. So, the apps no longer matter to me. I borrow books with my desktop and can read any book I borrow without them.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 06:42 AM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm pleased to see then my local library, here in Ireland, has added Libby as well as Borrowbox. I hope the Libby app works better on eink and renders ebooks better, Bolinda Borrowbox is a bit poor at both.

I can't test yet as they invalidated all the PINs a while back and the librarian that sent me a PIN by email either forgot to put my email into the system or it got deleted. I can't re-register as I already have a physical library card, yet I can't apply online for a PIN because my email address isn't recognised. I've emailed the Librarian, but probably I'll have to call in at the Library HQ this week The online system offers to let you select a branch for help and suggests a rural one on a map. However I've only used it once in 25 years (2 visits). The county HQ one isn't on the map, but it's the one I use as it's quicker to get too.

Anyone here use the current Libby app on Android eink? I read that @fduniho has a Boyue Likebook Mars like I have. Mine is a late model supplied with Android 8.x
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:46 PM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird.
My account got re-enabled. So I logged in on Libby after checking Borrowbox. Libby search and catalogue seems to mostly work on eink Mars Android 8.x
Except I couldn't find any books to download. It would auto complete Authors but then tell me no titles.
It seems to have about 8,000 comics/graphic novels and magazines.

So I emailed the book herder again. Turns out they use Libby ONLY for comics/graphic and magazines. No overlap on the catalogues!

They are going to either add or change to an app called “Solus” to have all the library services in one place.

Never heard of Solus.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:17 PM   #83
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Anyone here use the current Libby app on Android eink?
Yes, no problem, but I prefer to download and read with Pocketbook App.
Quote:
Never heard of Solus
I think this
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:21 PM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Yes, no problem, but I prefer to download and read with Pocketbook App.I think this
No, nothing to do with Solus OS (based on Linux). It's an Android App for Libraries.
https://wp.sol.us/
On Google Android Playstore, but useless unless your library uses it.
Quote:
SOLUS built apps are now in use in over 7,000 library locations across 6 continents and we’re growing rapidly!

…offices in the UK, Australia and the US
Oddly Solus (unconnected) is the main Irish light bulb maker, or maybe the only one.

Solus is modern Irish for light, hence the name of the lamp company.