Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Rearranging books on the iBooks bookshelf

I'm sure that this is blindingly obvious to everyone else, and I'm just slow, but...

... I've just discovered that you can rearrange your books on the iBooks "bookshelf" by clicking the "Edit" button at the top left, and then dragging the books around into whatever order you wish. This is great for getting the books in a series into the proper order, for example.

As I say, doubtless everyone except me already knew this .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that this is blindingly obvious to everyone else, and I'm just slow, but...

... I've just discovered that you can rearrange your books on the iBooks "bookshelf" by clicking the "Edit" button at the top left, and then dragging the books around into whatever order you wish. This is great for getting the books in a series into the proper order, for example.

Not everyone. Just those of us who were already familiar with the iPhone or iPod touch since this is fairly standard iThing behavior. Although, I have to admit, the first time I instinctively pressed and held the icon, which is the way you move apps around and of course, in iBooks that just opens the book. Then I saw the edit button...
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
I did'nt know that. Thanks for the heads up.
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
What is even more interesting is you can view the books in list view..in whatever order you have your bookshelf arranged-its like an ordered list view of my totally randomized bookshelf!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What is even more interesting is you can view the books in list view..in whatever order you have your bookshelf arranged-its like an ordered list view of my totally randomized bookshelf!
And you can reorder your bookshelf from the list view, which is quite a bit faster than doing it in the shelf view if you have a lot of books.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Anyone know how to edit the Catagories of books? I have some which I assume came from the 'tags' field of Calibre (as opposed to the Series field). I don't see anywhere in iBooks or iTunes where I can create my own. I guess I could copy all my series fields to the tags in Calibre and export again ...

Another way of getting them sorted is to sync them in the order you want. Might be easier to do that than drag book icons all over the screen.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Anyone know how to edit the Catagories of books? I have some which I assume came from the 'tags' field of Calibre (as opposed to the Series field). I don't see anywhere in iBooks or iTunes where I can create my own.
Right-click the file(s) in iTunes, choose Get Info, and set the Genre tag to the category you want.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Thanks, I must have missed the match when I was looking at the iTunes fields.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
Jack__Flack
Jack__Flack began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook gen3
Quote:

Not obvious at all. I was just going to post to see if anyone knew how to do this!
Jack__Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
And you can reorder your bookshelf from the list view, which is quite a bit faster than doing it in the shelf view if you have a lot of books.
How do you reorder the books in list view? When I tap the "Edit" button in list view, all I seem to be able to do is mark books for deletion. I can't reorder them.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
How do you reorder the books in list view? When I tap the "Edit" button in list view, all I seem to be able to do is mark books for deletion. I can't reorder them.
You can only do it in the unsorted "Bookshelf" list view by dragging after "Edit." I guess they assume if you sort by "Titles," "Categories" and "Authors" you wouldn't want to move them around so it's missing from those views.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
You can only do it in the unsorted "Bookshelf" list view by dragging after "Edit." I guess they assume if you sort by "Titles," "Categories" and "Authors" you wouldn't want to move them around so it's missing from those views.
Thanks - hadn't realised that you have to drag them by the right end of the line - I'd been trying to drag the cover.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Hatbat
Hatbat began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
I want my books in bookshelf mode in alphabetical order by author, but I've over 700 books so cant be bothered doing it manually. How?
Hatbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
Luckynp
Luckynp began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad; Sony: iPad
Finally understood alphabetical order in Bookshelf View

I have been struggling with this for a couple of months now, and have finally made bookshelf view do what I want. This is to display my books in normal alphabetical order by author.

In normal use, iBooks adds newly uploaded books at the top of your bookshelf. It is then possible to drag them to whatever position you want.

HOWEVER, this order will be lost if any of the following 3 things happens:

1 You inadvertently untick your books in iTunes and do an automatic sync. This will wipe all your books. If you then resync them, Apple will do its own thing.

2 Apple update the iBooks application.

3 Apple update the iPad OS.

All these things have happened to me.

What then happens is that iBooks orders the books in the way it wants, which is in REVERSE ALPHABETICAL ORDER. If you have 1500 books( nearly all un DRM'ed) , as I have, this is incredibly annoying.

My Workaround

In order to sort books, iBooks uses the Author sort field in the book's metadata file.

You must make sure that the author's name is entered in this field, surname first (i.e. Tolstoi, Leo rather than Leo Tolstoi). You can use Calibre to do this.

You then reconvert the books, again using Calibre so that the new metadata is saved. Then untick your books and sync, to remove them from the iPad. Remove the old versions from iTunes and add the newly converted books back to itunes, make sure they are ticked and resync.

This will at least give you your books in consistent reverse alphabetical order.

To make the books display in normal alphabetical order, I have entered a 'reverse' alphabetical code before the author's name in the author sort field. e.g., glo Tolstoi, Leo. Therefore, when iBooks applies its reverse alpha sorting, it reverses the reverse order.

This may seem like a long way round, but it's better than spending two days manually sorting books only to have them scrambled again by Apple's next software update.
Luckynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thanks, I was wondering about this too. I really would like to sort the Bookshelf the way that I want.

It would be really great if you could create other bookshelves. So that You can have a Fiction bookshelf, Currently reading bookshelf, Technical Bookshelf, User Manual bookshelf (yes - I have a few of these for ipad, camera, etc mostly in pdf at the moment).
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote