Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
LynnDC
LynnDC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Might I get used to the loud click of the Kindle 2 page turning?

Grr, I'm kind of bummed. After much researching (way to much time reading reviews), I had finally decided on a Kindle 2. But right after turning it on, I immediately noticed the click. I thought surely it would get on the nerves of anyone around me and maybe me myself as well. Has anyone gotten used to it over time? If it were truly terrible, I would think the complaints would be all over the place.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should return it and keep reading on my iPhone while I wait to see what the new wave of releases produces.
LynnDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well, you have a couple of weeks to try, LynnDC, before you need think about returning it.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, LynnDC.

Like Patricia said, if it bothers you that much, you can return it within 30 days, paying only postage.

The Sony or Nook you can try in stores to see if the page turning noise is comparable........Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
LynnDC

Wow, just noticed the 30d trial!

That's great, much longer than I'm used to for these types of devices. I'm going to read it all over the place. Library, in front of my kids, husband, on the bus. And see if anyone looks at me funny. Personally, I think it's to loud for a reading device.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You must have super hearing. Then again, I have a Kindle classic and the buttons are silent.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
LynnDC

That's funny. Yes, I've been told more than once that I'm super noise sensitive.

But I have read that there were complaints that the page turning buttons on the Kindle 1 were too easy to press, leading to inadvertently turned pages. So for Kindle 2, they are harder to press, leading to the click. But if I'm so sensitive, I might actually prefer the first version.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDC View Post
That's funny. Yes, I've been told more than once that I'm super noise sensitive.

But I have read that there were complaints that the page turning buttons on the Kindle 1 were too easy to press, leading to inadvertently turned pages. So for Kindle 2, they are harder to press, leading to the click. But if I'm so sensitive, I might actually prefer the first version.
Yeah, that always cracks me up. After about 15 minutes, you learn where to put your hands so that that doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, you aren't relegated to a specific spot.....but people forget that when you are reading, the keyboard is disabled, so you can hold it there, or if its in a case, the edge makes a perfect spot, or you can put your thumb on the 'groove'.......or you can just keep a thumb where the "Amazon Kindle" logo is and change pages with one hand.......its just a "non issue" that was made into a big deal.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yeah, that always cracks me up. After about 15 minutes, you learn where to put your hands so that that doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, you aren't relegated to a specific spot.....but people forget that when you are reading, the keyboard is disabled, so you can hold it there, or if its in a case, the edge makes a perfect spot, or you can put your thumb on the 'groove'.......or you can just keep a thumb where the "Amazon Kindle" logo is and change pages with one hand.......its just a "non issue" that was made into a big deal.
+1... I totally agree.

BOb
Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I didn't realise there was a button click on the Kindle, but after reading this thread I specifically listened, and yes, there is - a very faint one. I think, to be honest, that to talk of it disturbing people around you is a bit extreme .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't realise there was a button click on the Kindle, but after reading this thread I specifically listened, and yes, there is - a very faint one. I think, to be honest, that to talk of it disturbing people around you is a bit extreme .
Perhaps the OP us just pushing the buttons too hard.

You know how some keyboards are much louder when some people type on them than when others do. I tend to touch the keys only as hard as they need to respond.

BOb