Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
Reload The Matrix

Since Matrix Reloaded is being shown in cinemas worldwide and the third installment will be around this year as well, I tried looking for matrix websites and anything about the movie online other than what is offical and known...
and I fell on the books below:

The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real

The many faces of Keanu Reeves as hero Neo-Christ, Buddha, Socrates-are explored in these essays on the philosophical implications of the sci-fi martial arts blockbuster The Matrix, collected by the editor of Seinfeld and Philosophy and The Simpsons and Philosophy. According to the academics assembled here, when messianic hacker Neo kick-boxes the Matrix's virtual-reality dream-prison, he is really struggling with some of mankind's biggest conundrums: the nature of truth and reality, the possibility of free will, the mind-body problem and the alienation of labor in late-capitalist society. The tacit goal here is to make philosophy fun for the general reader by orienting it to pop-culture reference points, so while some articles contain rather dense philosophical jargon, most are pitched at the level of a freshman intro course. But only a few chapters delve into the movie's aesthetics; the rest seem to use The Matrix as a peg on which to hang a canned philosophy lecture. The results are occasionally engaging, as with David Mitsuo Nixon's nifty refutation of the "reality is just an illusion" conceit, but they're too often dryly academic and liable to elicit no more than a drowsy "whoa" from the movie's legions of fans.

also available at audibile here

Taking the Red Pill: Science, Philosophy and Religion in The Matrix
This thought-provoking examination of The Matrix explores the technological challenges, religious symbolism, and philosophical dilemmas the film presents. Essays by renowned scientists, technologists, philosophers, scholars, social commentators, and science fiction authors provide engaging and provocative perspectives. Explored in a highly accessible fashion are issues such as the future of artificial intelligence and virtual reality. The symbolism hidden throughout The Matrix and a few glitches in the film are revealed. Discussions include "Finding God in The Matrix," "The Reality Paradox in The Matrix," and "Was Cypher Right?: Why We Stay in Our Matrix." The fascinating issues posed by the film are handled in an intelligent but nonacademic fashion.

Exploring the Matrix: Visions of the Cyber Present
....Haber, a veteran sci-fi and fantasy editor, assembles an array of original essays by 17 science-fiction authors and digital artists, including Alan Dean Foster, Joe Haldeman, Bruce Sterling and Ian Watson. John Shirley (Black Butterflies), insightfully explores what he defines as a new cinema movement of "films questioning reality" as he compares The Matrix with American Beauty, Fight Club and the enigmas embedded in Mulholland Drive....

The Art of the Matrix

I wish there were ebook versions .. oh well..

If you have something related, feel free to post

Last edited by Saud; 05-24-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Matrix II started today in our movie theatres. It is almost impossible to get tickets though

Some people told me it is good, but not as good as the first part.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
It was ok...
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
jwy
jwy began at the beginning.

Device: NX70v
it was pretty good
but the way they left the cliff hanger ending felt weird
i wouldnt have put "to be continued"
jwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
crh3f
crh3f began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR70V
Middle installments of a trilogy are difficult to pull off...you almost inevitably have to leave people feeling disappointed; only the best ones make you forget your disappointment and lust after more. Empire Strikes Back was like that...people hated it, until several years later, when they were all out, and you could put it in its proper place.
crh3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 AM   #6
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Indeed. Some people seem to be badmouthing it as a bad movie in itself, and others seem to be supporting it as a functional middle film.
I guess I'm a bit different. I don't want to start a flame war, but I'll go ahead and say that The Matrix, along with most martial arts/action films, is not that interesting to me. However, from the point of view of a martial artist, this movie was one of the better I have seen. I immensely dislike seeing movies which feature such unrealistic fight scenes that people end up with warped perceptions of real life martial arts. A fellow student of mine was once asked seriously whether or not he could fly and run up walls. I must admit, The Matrix at least sets up an environment where the unrealistic element is justified. This isn't real; it's the Matrix. Anyway, the way he used the sais in the fight scene on the ornate staircase was great. He actually used them correctly. Morpheus' use of the sword was nowhere near correct, but at least they got the sais right
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
ok I saw the movie and liked it..

the end of it was difficult to understand and grasp.. that is why basically all the ads came out on the 2 movies.. they wanted you to enter this movie having the third installement inmind

I basically liked how the movie evolved from what it was and aslo found the programming background of the matrix interesting..
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote