Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
How do you mount and edit the *.bin file?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
YOu can't directly edit the binary. To use it, copy it to an SD card at the root of the card and then:
turn you V3 off
insert the card
hold the vol up button and turn power on with the other hand.
It should start in the rom monitor mode and ask you about the update.
Tap OK to start the update process.

Be sure there is enough battery power to perform the update or better yet have the unit plugged into the charger.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #18
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Does this help?
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Does this help?
Certainly does. Now I know what's inside, so if I have to go back to first principles, I have a chance. I admit I was hoping that it was an image file that could be converted to iso, but...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
YOu can't directly edit the binary.
Thanks Dale. I had my hopes up that you could edit it, because I read the following further up this thread.

Code:
However, what you can do (if you want to use the rest of your firmware and only replace the DjVu support) is to take libdjvu.so and libdjvulibre.so* files from my V3update.bin and put them in rootfs/usr/lib of your V3update.bin firmware image.
which certainly reads as if you can edit it.
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Dale. I had my hopes up that you could edit it, because I read the following further up this thread.

Code:
However, what you can do (if you want to use the rest of your firmware and only replace the DjVu support) is to take libdjvu.so and libdjvulibre.so* files from my V3update.bin and put them in rootfs/usr/lib of your V3update.bin firmware image.
which certainly reads as if you can edit it.
You can obtain the source code and some binary link modules from LBook I believe. Then you can set up a build environment and do what you want. Hanlin also has an API for developers.

Dale
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #22
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can obtain the source code and some binary link modules from LBook I believe. Then you can set up a build environment and do what you want. Hanlin also has an API for developers.

Dale
I'll look into the lbook route then, thanks.

As for the Hanlin API, I think I saw an SDK download on Jinke's site, and will grab that too.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #23
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Yes, you can do that easily. First split the V3update.bin into its constituents using dd:

file=$1
out_dir=$2

rm -rf $out_dir
mkdir -p $out_dir

dd if=$file of=$out_dir/zImage bs=1M count=1 skip=1
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/ro.fs bs=1M count=6 skip=2
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/root.fs bs=1M count=44 skip=8
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/logo bs=1 count=240000 skip=$[1024*1024*52]
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/jffs2.fs bs=1M count=2 skip=53

Then mount ro.fs and root.fs as usual. Then copy their content (only using rsync -AHPSXa rootfs/ myrootfs to preserve the hardlinks correctly). Then, just edit the files (or replace etc etc) and then remake the images like this:

# mkfs.cramfs -v myrootfs myroot.fs

Then remake the V3update.bin like this:

mkv3update --write-hanlin=My-V3update.bin +zImage +myro.fs +myroot.fs +logo +jffs2.fs

(the mkv3update command comes from OI or you can write one yourself as the firmware image layout is well documented on OI webpages)

Last edited by tigran; 12-18-2009 at 01:46 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #24
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Btw, I forgot to mention that you no longer need to change anything in V3update.bin because my idea of loading plugins locally (from ".lib" directory on the "internal storage") has been implemented and so you just need to copy a new libdjvu.so (or any other plugin, e.g. libfb2.so etc) to ".lib" directory on the reader and it will be picked up in preference to the one in the firmware. And simply deleting (or renaming) it will go back to the one in the firmware. No reboot is required and this is perfectly safe.

To execute such scripts (that do the renaming to enable/disable plugins in .lib) you need to make sure they end in ".exe.djvu" and use libdjvu 1.91 or later (it has support for executing programs *.exe.djvu). Also, to use the ".lib" feature at all you need biv_sumy or tirwal's latest firmware images (these two already implemented ".lib" and hopefully the rest will follow soon).
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #25
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I have tested 1.9 with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, 1865.djvu" from Project Gutenberg. The Picture in the front page is awful differ from original djvu lib.

The method of .lib is good for testing new improved lib. But In some condition may need to change in the firmware. For example. your DJVU lib now support in English, Russian, Ukraine and Spanish. Changing Language menu needs more care.

But anywhere, It is much better than original.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #26
hug
hug began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v5
multicolumn mode

Congratulations for a nice job!
I read a lot of scientific articles on real paper mostly because multi-column pdfs with tables and pictures tend to go horribly wrong with ADE. I might convert them from pdf to DjVu and read them using your DjVu viewer. My first impressions are positive, but setting the right amount of horizontal step to match the two columns (sometimes not half-half) is time-consuming. I don't understand how the "Toggle multicolumn mode", works or when it is on or off. Could you please give some hints?
Thanks in advance!!!
hug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I have tested 1.9 with "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, 1865.djvu" from Project Gutenberg. The Picture in the front page is awful differ from original djvu lib.

The method of .lib is good for testing new improved lib. But In some condition may need to change in the firmware. For example. your DJVU lib now support in English, Russian, Ukraine and Spanish. Changing Language menu needs more care.

But anywhere, It is much better than original.
Do you have a link for the djvu version of Alice? I looked at the main web site and could not find it.

Dale
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I did find a version at http://www.leoyan.com/global-language.com/BOOKS/ along with several other books in DJVU format. Download the bundled version. Is this the one?

Here is another site: http://www.global-language.com/djvueds/ with more books.

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-18-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Yes, you can do that easily. First split the V3update.bin into its constituents using dd:

file=$1
out_dir=$2

rm -rf $out_dir
mkdir -p $out_dir

dd if=$file of=$out_dir/zImage bs=1M count=1 skip=1
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/ro.fs bs=1M count=6 skip=2
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/root.fs bs=1M count=44 skip=8
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/logo bs=1 count=240000 skip=$[1024*1024*52]
dd if=$file of=$out_dir/jffs2.fs bs=1M count=2 skip=53

Then mount ro.fs and root.fs as usual. Then copy their content (only using rsync -AHPSXa rootfs/ myrootfs to preserve the hardlinks correctly). Then, just edit the files (or replace etc etc) and then remake the images like this:

# mkfs.cramfs -v myrootfs myroot.fs

Then remake the V3update.bin like this:

mkv3update --write-hanlin=My-V3update.bin +zImage +myro.fs +myroot.fs +logo +jffs2.fs

(the mkv3update command comes from OI or you can write one yourself as the firmware image layout is well documented on OI webpages)

OK, this works, thanks heaps. I wonder if anyone has figured out the v5 bin file. If it follows this basic format http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/V3...are/FileFormat then it's just about the size of each piece I guess.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #30
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Try this one
Alice in Wonderland.djvu

in case v5 Firmware.
It is almost the same of V3 firmware.
1. Same structure but different size in each part. (That is easy to check)
2. ro.fs and root.fs are cramfs but somehow the disassemble method could be difference. (header is OK, but refuse to extract.)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote