Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #46
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
The longer I'm reading with this device, the more annoying I'm finding the numbers. Once it got to 100+, it started really interfering with the text.
I've tried modifying the margins, but to make room for 3 and 4 digit numbers you lose a lot of screen space.

I do have a few novels over 1000 pages.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
The longer I'm reading with this device, the more annoying I'm finding the numbers. Once it got to 100+, it started really interfering with the text.
How do you mean? Can you post a screenshot about that?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Agreed.
Page numbers should not overwrite the text but the ADE on hanlins doe so every time.

Question: is it confirmed, then, that the ADE app code is the same from the Sony 505, just older? They really are turning the Hanlins into Sony clones? Literally, not just figuratively, I mean...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The issue isn't the format itself but the ecosystem around it.
Formats are just specifications; ink on paper if even that.

Comparing ePub to Mobi is comparing a format without dictionaries to one with.
Actully, this may not be so. The Sony PRS-600 that is due out later in August has a dictionary. There is a good chance it will work with ePub and if so, then the ePub vs Mobipocket war just got heated up with ePub winning big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Hanlin used to have poor ePUB support but now that you can upgrade to the new ADE version the ePUB will become one of the more popular formats for Hanlin devices I expect. It is my new favorite format for everything except eBooks that need internal links. This is not supported yet in ePUB but is for Mobi.

Dale
ADE does indeed support internal links. Are you saying that the ePub support on the Hanlin devices does not yet support internal links?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #51
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE does indeed support internal links. Are you saying that the ePub support on the Hanlin devices does not yet support internal links?
If it does, I have not figured it out. No follow links menu item.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #52
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How do you mean? Can you post a screenshot about that?
I don't have anything handy to do so (at least not today), but what it does is superimpose the page number over the right margin. If the margin is small and the number is large, you end up with some text obscured. It is not completely gone, just faded and below the number.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #53
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ADE on Hanlin is *very* barebones.
Maybe 5 menu pics total...
(give or take..)
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #54
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The problem I have I do not believe is the problem for say with epub I believe it is an issue with the publishers not setting the correct font sizes. I find that purchased ebooks small font is too small and the next step up is too large. chuck
I'm a bit of a late-comer to this discussion, as I've just installed the new beta firmware on my Bebook and tried out my first purchased EPUB title. I too am distressed (if that's not putting it too strongly) at the inability to zoom in or out to the size font I prefer. (In my preferred format of Mobibook, I used type-size 19.) If I understand the above correctly, the range of font-sizes which can be zoomed into are set by the publisher and NOT inherent to the EPUB format. So it all depends on the publisher of the title I purchase? Can you clarify this for me? Thanks.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I'm a bit of a late-comer to this discussion, as I've just installed the new beta firmware on my Bebook and tried out my first purchased EPUB title. I too am distressed (if that's not putting it too strongly) at the inability to zoom in or out to the size font I prefer. (In my preferred format of Mobibook, I used type-size 19.) If I understand the above correctly, the range of font-sizes which can be zoomed into are set by the publisher and NOT inherent to the EPUB format. So it all depends on the publisher of the title I purchase? Can you clarify this for me? Thanks.
The smallest setting is built into the eBook as displayed in ADE. However the rest of the zoom levels are set by the application and not by the book. I think the zoom levels jump too much for my tastes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #56
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The smallest setting is built into the eBook as displayed in ADE. However the rest of the zoom levels are set by the application and not by the book. I think the zoom levels jump too much for my tastes.

Dale
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't agree more on the inadequacy (for me/us) of the zoom levels. That circumstance renders reading in the initial EPUB format unacceptable, without some modification, which for me would inevitably be removing the DRM and converting to Mobipocket.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #57
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
It appears that the Hanlin implementation of ADE does not support hyperlinks. It DOES support the "index" function which--more or less--substitutes for a table of contents if the epub is built correctly.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #58
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Beside the fact what JSWolf mentioned (already owning DRM'd mobipocket books), there is also the amount of OS's supported. So far, epub is only available on linux devices. I can't read epub on my reading devices, which are Windows Mobile and Windows CE based. So, if I got a Hanlin (or any other e-ink device for that matter), I will have to convert everything to mobipocket so I can read it on all my devices.

Also, I've been using mobipocket for a long, long, long time now. I'm really used to that application and everything will be compared to it (and so far, all other readers I've used, just don't support what I want them to support)
Ok, now I'M confused. I found this link http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/ that says it's an ePub reader available for Windows. And also this link: http://www.epubbooks.com/ebook-reade...gital-editions that says Adobe Digital Editions has a flash player for both the Sony Reader and the desktop PC, and I know Adobe runs on Windows. Also, the site for FBReader says it runs on Windows and Unix systems, and reads ePub.

As for a bias against ePub, I keep running into the opposite, a bias TOWARD ePub! I agree that Sony's move to ePub is a good thing for the industry (less proprietary formats are always good news). However, I must say I prefer other formats over ePub.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I agree that Sony's move to ePub is a good thing for the industry (less proprietary formats are always good news). However, I must say I prefer other formats over ePub.
Sony's move to *ADOBE ePub* is a great thing for Adobe.
Whether lock-in by Adobe is good for the industry or not remains to be seen.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #60
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
...However, I must say I prefer other formats over ePub.
Why is that? What's interesting to me is why someone prefers one format over another.