Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
David it's the firmware that was released before the one in the title of this thread. It broke Dropbox. You click download and the box pops up asking If you want the file but it never completes. It worked fine before that particular update.

Kobo broke something. Dropbox has not changed anything. The file does not complete just like when the size issue. They fixed it then broke it again.

They need to update the browser completely so they stop breaking it. It's getting ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #62
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
David it's the firmware that was released before the one in the title of this thread.
Why don't you look in the settings and post what firmware you're on. In theory "the one before the one in the title" should be obvious, but since Kobo rolls them out to different affiliates at different times (although something makes me think you sideload them ) it will give clarity as what one you are actually on. Not to mention trying to remember version #'s (including wath was a beta version). Look under Settings, Device Information, Software Version.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
David it's the firmware that was released before the one in the title of this thread.
Is there any reason you can't look at the firmware version on your device and tell me the actual number? It's there displayed on the Device Information page of the settings. The reason I want it is because far to many people come to this forum and say "the latest firmware" and it turns out they are several versions behind.
Quote:
It broke Dropbox. You click download and the box pops up asking If you want the file but it never completes. It worked fine before that particular update.
The "firmware that was released before the one in the title of this thread" for the Glo HD was 4.9344. As I've stated several times, on all of my devices while running 4.9344, or the almost identical 4.9349, the browser download worked perfectly for all sites I tried.
Quote:
Kobo broke something. Dropbox has not changed anything. The file does not complete just like when the size issue. They fixed it then broke it again.
Any particular reason you have decided this now? I searched for recent references to Dropbox because I couldn't remember what others had said about using it. The last references to Dropbox is a thread from you stating that Dropbox had changed and no longer worked. You started that thread about a month after the firmware you state broke the download was released. I'm now confused as you stated in this thread that you downloaded from Dropbox, updated the firmware and then the download didn't work a few minutes later. That doesn't add up. Which is it, you immediately noticed the problem but didn't complain for a while? Or you didn't see a problem for a month after the firmware upgrade?
Quote:
They need to either update the browser completely so they stop breaking it. It's getting ridiculous.
Yes, it would be nice if it worked perfectly. But, it is not a supported part of the firmware and hence it is low on their priorities. While I am sure they try not to break the browser, if they break the browser while fixing something more core to the device usage, then they will continue with that fix and come back to the browser later. Unfortunately, that "later" can be after a firmware release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's this firmware here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286510

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 07-23-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #65
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I have a Glo HD and when I connect to Dropbox using the browser I get a message "Dropbox does not support your Browser" if I then proceed to select a file to download I eventually get a "Download" button, however it can't be pressed (i.e. it doesn't change colour if I touch it). Needless to say nothing gets downloaded.

My software is Version 4.4.9344.

If I choose to ignore a message that DROPBOX doesn't support my browser then I shouldn't be too surprised if things don't work as I would like.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 07-22-2017 at 01:13 PM.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
It's this firmware here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?=286510

Sent from my XT1528
Your link comes up invalid. Let me post-stalk you and see if we can't get this sorted.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #67
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Your link comes up invalid. Let me post-stalk you and see if we can't get this sorted.

The t was missing

Sent from my XT1528
Old 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #68
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I have a Glo HD and when I connect to Dropbox using the browser I get a message "Dropbox does not support your Browser" if I then proceed to select a file to download I eventually get a "Download" button, however it can't be pressed (i.e. it doesn't change colour if I touch it). Needless to say nothing gets downloaded.

My software is Version 4.4.9344.

If I choose to ignore a message that DROPBOX doesn't support my browser then I shouldn't be too surprised if things don't work as I would like.

BobC
You have to use the desktop site. Mobile has never worked. Click the three dots on the file listing page and choose download.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 07-22-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

The t was missing

Sent from my XT1528
I just found it myself. Luckily, you post less than I do.
Hey David,
It appears her firmware is 4.4.9344.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I just found it myself. Luckily, you post less than I do.
Hey David,
It appears her firmware is 4.4.9344.
Yes the firmware before that one worked fine with Dropbox. I downloaded a few books then sync. It asked me to upgrade to the version in the quote so I did. Right after I upgraded I went back into Dropbox and it no longer work.

And just for the record I'm not reporting this, I just made a comment I hope the latest version fixes this problem and got flack for it.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #71
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
hi,
can i block automatic WiFi firmware upgrade without patch?

Last edited by mortimer7; 07-22-2017 at 03:17 PM.
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
hi,
can i block WiFi firmware upgrade without patch?
Yep. Keep WiFi off. Otherwise, nope.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #73
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I tested downloading from DropBox on my Glo with firmware 4.5.9587 and a Mini with firmware 3.4.1. The file downloaded successfully on the Mini but not on the Glo.

The last time I tested was quite a while ago, I think the Glo was on firmware 3.19.5761 and both devices were able to download successfully. This time, although everything appeared to work the same in the browsers and after the final confirmation popup both said the file was downloading, when I exited the browser the file was present on the Mini but absent on the Glo.

Edit: First test was with a 3.5MB EPUB, I tried again with a 280KB PDF: same result.

Edit2: Just to add, the doenload was done from the desktop version of DropBox.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-22-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: desktop version of DropBox
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I tested downloading from DropBox on my Glo with firmware 4.5.9587 and a Mini with firmware 3.4.1. The file downloaded successfully on the Mini but not on the Glo.

The last time I tested was quite a while ago, I think the Glo was on firmware 3.19.5761 and both devices were able to download successfully. This time, although everything appeared to work the same in the browsers and after the final confirmation popup both said the file was downloading, when I exited the browser the file was present on the Mini but absent on the Glo.

Edit: First test was with a 3.5MB EPUB, I tried again with a 280KB PDF: same result.

Edit2: Just to add, the doenload was done from the desktop version of DropBox.
Thank you Geoff. There's no need for me to upgrade then. I appreciate you testing this for me. Hopefully Kobo will fix it someday. I'd like to see the browser updated to work as well as the Kindle version.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes the firmware before that one worked fine with Dropbox. I downloaded a few books then sync. It asked me to upgrade to the version in the quote so I did. Right after I upgraded I went back into Dropbox and it no longer work.

And just for the record I'm not reporting this, I just made a comment I hope the latest version fixes this problem and got flack for it.
No, you got flack because you made a statement about something and when I asked, you kept making statements that I could not agree with. You stated "broken completely for downloads". As I had downloaded quite a few files from several very different sites with the firmware version I believed you were using, I knew that blanket statement wasn't true. It took at least five posts before you bothered to mention that it was downloading from Dropbox was the problem. Because of how many problems there have been with Dropbox, that doesn't surprise me. And because of those problems, I'm not immediately willing to concede the problem is with Kobo. Or at least not just with Kobo. GeoffR's tests tell me that 4.5.9587 is broken, but that is something I already knew.

You also got flack because you kept using an indirect reference to the the firmware version. And because your experience was different to mine, that made me question whether I understood you. A simple statement of the firmware version number would have cleared that up. Or saying you couldn't check because you didn't have the device with you. It is frustrating to me when this happens as it can be amazingly hard to get people to answer a simple question like this to clear things up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware upgrade