Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
BuzzB
Enthusiast
BuzzB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Kindle Touch
Can't login to wifi and some other questions

I just received a Kobo Aura.

1) I'm having problems setting up my wifi connection.

I'm currently in a hotel. The Aura recognizes the hotel's wifi hotspot, asks me if I want to login and takes me to a screen that says Hotspot login on top and nothing else. No place to enter my username and password. What do I do to connect?

BTW, Wifi is enabled on the device.

2) If I want to directly sideload books from my computer into the Aura, which file do I put them in? (Or do I need to use either Calibre or ADE?)

3) If I do connect via my computer, do I always have to go through Kobo Desktop to disconnect the device?

TIA
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you connect the Kobo to your PC (I'll assume Windows here), Windows assigns at least one drive letter to the storage on it. If you happen to have an SD card installed in the slot of your Kobo, a second drive letter is assigned to it.

I'd suggest that you create a folder in the root of the drive (say eBooks), and then just copy all the books you want to sideload into that folder.

The device can either be ejected via Kobo Desktop, or via the Removable Device icon that Windows displays in the system tray. (See https://www.winhelp.us/use-removable...n-windows.html for what this looks like in different Windows versions).

Once you eject the device and disconnect the cable, the Kobo will display a progress bar as it processes the new content.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried changing the zoom on the browser screen?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
BuzzB
Enthusiast

@PeterT....when I try disconnecting via the WinSysTray, the device still says it's connected.
As far as sideloading books, yes I know it has a separate drive, but under that drive there are separate folders:

.adobe digital editions
.kobo
.kobo-images

I assume they go somewhere in one of the subfolders in .kobo but which one?

And yes, I tried changing the zoom on the browser screen only the browser doesn't show up at all.

As for ejecting, I had Kobo desktop open so it wouldn't let me eject the device. Problem solved.

Last edited by BuzzB; 10-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Noo.. make a NEW folder in the root. Make sure it does NOT start with a dot. So you want to see
Code:
.adobe digital editions
.kobo
.kobo-images
eBooks
The Kobo f/w will not scan directories for content that start with a period.
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
BuzzB
Enthusiast

Thanks, that works. Creating the separate file let me sideload directly into the Kobo. (Although I'm going to look into loading books via Calibre.)

As for the wifi problems, and battery drain issues, I was told to let the device charge for a few extra hours and then do a factory reboot.

It worked. Everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
On sideloading - you can also just drag and drop your epub onto the root folder, there's no particular need to make a special eBooks folder.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote