Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #631
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I need your opinion!

Here's something that I just realized when updating the first post.

I think that the "new" layout which has the item name (usually book/collection) at the top, and the "other information" (author/number of items) at the bottom is quite good, and definitely more informative than the previous one.

However, this also leads to the problem that this information is no longer horizontally aligned with the information at the right side (number of collections that contain this item). And I found this to at least be potentially confusing - especially with short titles, it may actually be quite difficult to correctly associate the "left end" of the screen with the "right end", in particular if the bottom panel is hidden (see 3rd picture of first post of the thread). At least that's my impression.

Because this is quite hard to explain, and because a few pictures say more than 782 words, you'll find attached a few experimental variants of the UI.

The "white" variant is essentially what the UI looks like right now. The "black" variant is the extreme case to demonstrate the (intended) effect. And the "gray"/"lightgray"/"subtle"/"very subtle" are simply variants with different colors (the last picture, vsubtle_empty, shows the effect in a "maximized" CM where not all rows are populated).

So, I have two questions:

1. Do you think that it makes sense at all to have these visual "separators", or do you find them unnecessary/distracting/ugly/whatever ? Or am I just trying to solve a non-existant problem, because there is no need for such visual help at all?

2. If you think that makes sense, then which version do you prefer? I personally think that something rather light would do fine, because it does not distract/disturb too much, but still gives enough visual guidance. In fact, my favorite would be the "very subtle" one. What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s_white.png
Views:	362
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	110517   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_black.png
Views:	367
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	110518   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_gray.png
Views:	354
ID:	110519   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_lightgray.png
Views:	330
ID:	110520   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_subtle.png
Views:	310
ID:	110521   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_vsubtle.png
Views:	349
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	110522   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_vsubtle_empty.png
Views:	342
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	110523  
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #632
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you really, really want to 'fix' something -

I find the identical icons used for both the 'Move' and the 'Copy' operations very confusing.

Identical icons used for two different purposes sort of defeats the principle of having icons in the first place.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #633
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Hello, ixtab! You were really quick off the mark with a revised version of CM for the new paperwhite update 5.3.8..
but i'm still hesitating to do the OS update.. don't know how other stuff like kual, usbnetwork.. will be affected..

Regarding your requested feedback:
  • new layout - slight misalignment between right and left sides is almost unnoticeable.. no need to change
  • horizontal borderlines between rows - my preference is also for the most subtle one.. one more thought is to have a light background for alternate rows.. but maybe that would generate more frequent ghosting..?
  • like knc1, i too felt that the copy and move icons need to be more differentiated.. though the existing difference is quite logical: copy icon has shaded corners for both pages.. whereas move icon has for only one.... but not easily visible.. (enlarged close up attached)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	302
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	110532  

Last edited by nasser; 09-07-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added image
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #634
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1:
Hehe... they're not identical, just very slightly different.

I'm personally a total idiot with anything images/graphics, and nobody liked my original icons - so we went for rorogio's. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't change them (Not because of any license or so - I'm just totally incapable in that regard)

EDIT: Here's a very quick search that shows the original icons: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktcollec...ons/g_cpdn.png

Last edited by ixtab; 09-07-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #635
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I think I like the vsubtle variant too. Might even be more subtle with a dotted line, instead of a full one, if possible?

EDIT: Ooh, nasser's idea of alternating background color between odd/even rows is pretty neat too, and what GTK/QT does for this kind of stuff, although I have no idea how it would actually look on an eInk panel...

About the icons, yeah, it's subtle, but I actually like that the meaning is somewhat made clear (the source entry 'disappears' to move to the target), although I might just be used to it because I know where it is, and I remember the old ones :?.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #636
ixtab
(offline)

I had thought about the "alternating background" too, but a) it's MUCH more complicated than this solution (because I'm really only setting the background color of the pane that the entries get painted on - they are spaced by 5px, so it's actually the backgound "shining through"), and b) I somehow think it would be too distracting. Even with only slight color differences, I figure the entire screen would look somewhat like a zebra , not terribly appealing. Just my intuition though, I haven't really tried it yet.

Any more comments? Merci
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #637
ixtab
(offline)

Of course, I hadn't even thought of the simplest solution of all: simply align the (contained in) count with the actual title.

So, in the good old tradition of german dictatorship, where other voices are simply ignored , you're now left with only two choices: no lines, or very subtle lines.

Which do you prefer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a_none.png
Views:	332
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	110537   Click image for larger version

Name:	a_vsubtle.png
Views:	300
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	110538  
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #638
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Hmm, with the count aligned on 'top', I think I prefer without the lines, it's a bit asymmetric otherwise.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #639
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
i'll go for with subtle lines..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #640
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: Hmm, with the count aligned on 'top', I think I prefer without the lines, it's a bit asymmetric otherwise.
Yep, you're right. It kinda seems to "hang" to the left with the lines. Weird.

OK, so all of the proposals are open again for discussion. Lines or no lines in various shades, top-aligned or "middled" count. No alternating colors though, that looks ugly

And now I'll just try to shut up for... a day or so, and will listen to you guys
Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #641
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
I prefer the no lines design.

as for the copy and move icons, I also find them difficult to differentiate. may I suggest that for the copy icon, the characters "x2" be added to the design, such as this sample:

Name:  copy_file.png
Views: 555
Size:  8.6 KB
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #642
ixtab
(offline)

Concerning the icons: I'm open to any suggestions, and the original author (rorogio) has agreed to release all his work under the WTFPL. In other words: If somebody is skilled enough to provide enhanced/modified (or even completely new) images, I'll happily include them. Provided that you also agree to the WTFPL, that is

For reference, the currently used icons are here.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #643
adegir1952
Enthusiast
adegir1952 doesn't litteradegir1952 doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
Hello
I have a KT and just installed the 5.3.7 fw. until today it worked very well the CM but not now. Here is the message that I get.

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_08T00_32_49+0200.png
Views:	375
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	110556

I have the bridge jailbreak, prerequisites, kindlet-jailbreak.

Will I be able to function in some way again?

Sorry for my english

Last edited by adegir1952; 09-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.
adegir1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #644
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
aaaaand Where is the log?

Slap it up!

(like it says it will be in a folder called /developer/blah/blah...... in the kindle when you mount it to your PC.)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #645
adegir1952
Enthusiast
adegir1952 doesn't litteradegir1952 doesn't litter

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
aaaaand Where is the log?

Slap it up!

(like it says it will be in a folder called /developer/blah/blah...... in the kindle when you mount it to your PC.)
Hi Twobob

Here I put the crash file

crash.txt

Thanks for answering so fast
adegir1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks