Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
WithMetta
WithMetta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Ebook Viewer

I've been digging around in calibre>gui2>viewer to see how the EbookViewer works. I figured it would easier to come here and ask for an overview.

So I understand that there is an iterator that goes through and takes the original ebook in whatever form it may be in and converts it into (xhtml?), which is then used to populate a QWebPage. If I understand correctly the QWebPage is what you look at when you're reading the book. There's a bunch of other methods that control how you navigate, which I didn't get into.

What I would like to do, ultimately, is be able to right click on a chapter in the table of contents page and have the option to copy it to the clipboard. I use text to speech software and the way highlighting works now is very difficult for me to use. If you scroll past a chapter's end any section of text that you had highlighted gets cleared.

Here is an ordered list of things I'd like to attempt:
  1. The first thing I'd like to see if I could do is circumvent that chapter chop and do it in such a way that it could maybe be a general option in future releases.
  2. The next thing I'd like to see if I could do is make it so the highlighted text is preserved through the chapter chop.
  3. Next I'd like to make it so you have the option for the QWebPart to display only one chapter at a time.
  4. Finally, I'd like to try and implement the right-click feature I mentioned above.

If you would provide me with a high level view of what I need to know and maybe where to get started I would be very grateful. Thank you very much for your help and the effort you have put into developing this wonderful application.
WithMetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply add a select all action to the context menu. That will select all the text in the current chapter. Though a simpler way to do this is to convert the file to txt in calibre and open the txt file in your text to speech software.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-03-2012 at 04:23 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
In addition, some Text-to-Speech software (TextAloud is the one I have) will read epub directly. Not by right-clicking on a particular chapter, however you can position the cursor at the start of a chapter before pressing the read-aloud button.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, development, ebookviewer, overview