Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1426
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
Oh, yes, Kyte! Exactly. Esp in spite of still collecting e-books!

I live 60 minutes away from the big city, so I get some killer listening done in the car.
And at home It allows me to keep my hands free to do other tasks.

Audible has great sales, where one can land full-length e-books for $5-$9.
Plus, if you've never had an account, I think you can get 2 free titles for signing up.

(Sorry, don't mean to enable & encourage the addicts here!)
oh don't apologise!! We like enabling

I've noticed that itunes gets a lot if not all its audiobooks from Audible, and I am pretty sure its cheaper to go via Audible direct. I'll check prices against a few in itunes, to be certain. If so... then I'm in!

[edit] yep, just checked a bunch of Bryce Courtenay and theres about a $10 difference.. more exy on itunes. (and thats oz dollar vs us dollar, when oz dollar is $1.037 of US at the moment

Last edited by kyteflyer; 09-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1427
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Looking at the rest of this page, I've reached the conclusion that animal-based avatars are to blame.
Oh dear. Perhaps I should delete Tom (that's my furry friend right there) and use something different...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #1428
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
I just can't do audiobooks, so I guess that's good in that it doesn't give me yet another form of media to collect that I have no time for (ebooks, Blu-ray's, video games, CD's...).
I must admit, I do have to scroll back because my ADD gets the better of me.
Was trying to tabulate how many hundreds of dollars I've spent on Audible this summer. Yikes! Thankfully, I don't purchase much in the way of video games, DVDs or CDs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Hey!

I resemble that remark.

As do I!
WOOF!
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #1429
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Oh dear. Perhaps I should delete Tom (that's my furry friend right there) and use something different...
Please don't! Tom is handsome!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1430
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Definitely not! We cats must stick together.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #1431
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Noooo! I like Tom so much I pulled out my old friend Whiskers.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #1432
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cats aren't the only possible avatar, you know. And, BelleZora, your avatar's stare is making me a little nervous!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #1433
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Back on topic (sorry!) I've been doing extremely well limiting my spending, lately. I haven't bought an ebook since August 7th.

I recently went through my Kindle receipts, and put them in a spreadsheet to see what I've actually been spending. In a little under 2 years, I have bought 140 books for £321 (avg £2.29), and read 26 of those, worth £87 (avg £3.35). I don't think that's really a lot to spend in 2 years, but it's quite a big TBR, and doesn't even include the 305 freebies or anything that didn't come from Amazon (maybe another £50 worth).

It's probably quite a bit more than I'd have spent on paper books in the same period, though. And I didn't exactly stop buying those.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #1434
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Whiskers is mesmerised by your elegant outfit and that lorgnette!

(Sorry - DrNefario got in ahead of me - this is for the Grand Mouse.)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #1435
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Back on topic (sorry!) I've been doing extremely well limiting my spending, lately. I haven't bought an ebook since August 7th.
Congratulations! Not buying is definitely the way to get the TBR list down to a manageable size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Whiskers is mesmerised by your elegant outfit and that lorgnette!
It's not a lorgnette, it a monocle!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #1436
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
OMG. I bought a kindle DX with whispernet in May. Since then it has been soooo easy to buy books. When I finish one book, I'm reading the next book of the series in two minutes without even getting up.

I just totaled my purchases since may: 37 books for $230. I've read all except two books and I'm reading one of those now. And that doesn't include the books I've borrowed from the Kindle library or the public domain books I've read. (Another 4-5 books)

Help! I need an intervention. Just give me a few minutes to buy a few more books to read before you intervene.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1437
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And, BelleZora, your avatar's stare is making me a little nervous!
And well it should, pdurrant. (Sorry. Last off-topic for me)
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1438
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I found Zendegi, by Greg Egan, for the Kindle, at a price of $0.01. I couldn't resist.
Nor should you, provided that you generally like Greg Egan's books. It precisely this sort of special offer that make not buying books at other times worth-while.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #1439
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
In a little under 2 years, I have bought 140 books for £321 (avg £2.29), and read 26 of those, worth £87 (avg £3.35).
It's a good thing you're not buying books at the moment - that's definitely a buying habit that was out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I just totaled my purchases since may: 37 books for $230. I've read all except two books and I'm reading one of those now.

Help! I need an intervention. Just give me a few minutes to buy a few more books to read before you intervene.
Well, you're not buying too many books, since you're reading the one you buy,. But an average price of $6.21 is a bit high. You probably need to build up a TBR list, so that you can wait for bargains, instead of needing to buy something because you're nearly out of books!

I have just gone back through my emails and web accounts, and added up all my purchases since I started buying ebooks back in January 2002, nearly 11 years. We'll call it 11 to make the sums easier.

I've bought 2,126 ebooks in that time, an average of about 195 per year. I bought 246 ebooks in 2010, 237 in 2011 and only 118 so far this year. Perhaps I'm actually starting to get in control of my ebook buying.

In total, I've spent just over $6,000 on ebooks, about $550/year. My average buying price over the 11 years is $2.86. My average buying price this year is $2.25. I must be doing something right.

Of the 2,126 books I've bought, I've read 1,780. 346 to go! Hmm.. that means (neglecting freebies) an average of about 160 books per year.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #1440
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^That could more be a function of available options for reading and the kinds of books you are reading. I seem to have books that never go on sale. I peruse through my wishlist on Amazon once a week for price changes and I also search InkMesh for authors every now and then. Almost everything I really want to read is in $11US to $15US price range. Consequently, I have purchased two e-books in the past half year and rely on paper from the library for 90% of my reading now. Until I start reading cheaper authors/publishers e-reading will be pretty much exclusively public-domain classics which don't interest me too much.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote