Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Not too sure what is happening here ...

Downloaded my first kindle file into Calibre 0.7.56 - and was able to view it.

Then made a request for it to be converted into mobi - to add cover etc. Process failed because it couldn't initialise a certain plugin (me thought if the book could be viewed that it wasn't drm'ed).

Since that occasion I have been unable to view using the Calibre viewer, every time I hit the 'view' icon, Calibre indicates it is trying to add the book - then complains I already have a copy in the database ..... .

Downloaded and installed 0.8.1. ... but this has not changed the action that 'view' wants to add a book .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Latest :

Have deleted "kindle for PC" - it was taking over !

The view option now tells me the azw file is not recognised, so at least my duplicate downloading has stopped ....
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to fix your plugin, and all your problems will disappear.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Hi Geoff,

I had a similar issue about a month ago. I had to uninstall the plug-in and re-install it after downloading it again from the website. Not sure why or how it got messed up in the first place, but it fixed the problem ::
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
GeoffC

Actually I've spent a fair part of the afternoon on this -
my solution,

replaced 'kindle for PC' with the previous version
the book I wanted to convert was then downloaded as a zip file, instead of a azw
Calibre then converted it !
it's differently formatted in the viewer - but as long as the text is readable that's all that matters.

serves me right for picking an Amazon freebie .....

now to remove kindle for PC from my PC -

Thanks for your help guys and gals .....
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

That particular website has an updated FAQ that points out that Amazon has completely changed its Kindle specific "storage" format in Kindle for PC 1.5.0 and so this has finally broken things for that plugin. In other words ... *no* tool will work anymore if you are using Kindle for PC 1.5.0 or later. It was bound to happen at some point in time and it did.

According to the FAQ, the only current "solution" is to downgrade to Kindle for PC 1.4.1 or earlier (which is what I think you just did) and things will magically all work again. Just remember to turn-off autoupdate with K4PC otherwise K4PC will upgrade itself automatically.

Although there have been a few minor Calibre nits with those plugins over the years, Calibre itself is pretty robust and if ever broken, quickly fixed. So if you have any trouble related to "those" plugins, your best first bet is to check out the FAQ on the "plugin" site or ask in the comments there first.

My 2 cents.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
GeoffC

My best solution was, once I had the book, was to remove kindle4PC .....

[as an aside, there is a plugin in my Calibre plugin folder - but it does not show up in the plugin manager .... - can't say anymore 'cause it's the plugin we're not supposed to mention .... ]
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
The plugin you are not allowed to mention will probably never be included in the plugin updater script, that is what you are referring to right??

As a side note I prefer to download my books to k4pc first and then import them into calibre. I know you can do this from the kindle but I prefer not to put books onto my kindle until after I have run that plugin and edited metadata. Luckily I found out 1.5.x would break them so I never updated and I do not turn on automatic updating for any software, if something goes wrong with my pc I like to be able to backtrack to where the problem started and this gives me better control.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
The plugin you are not allowed to mention will probably never be included in the plugin updater script, that is what you are referring to right??
Aye ...

and yet other scripts one isn't allowed to mention, are there

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
and yet other scripts one isn't allowed to mention, are there
I could not spot any that fell into this category
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm glad you said that itimpi as I have no idea what GeoffC is trying to say. Plugin Updater uses as it's source the plugin index sticky thread in the plugins forum. The only plugins it *can* show are those listed on that thread. And none of those are even close to being in violation of MobileRead policies in any way?

Unless the MobileRead policy changes (unlikely), or Plugin Updater moves away from being dependent on the MobileRead forums for its index and zip files then no other plugins can appear in Plugin Updater.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote