Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #16
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
This is a plain-text XML file, so you must edit it with a plain text editor. In windows, that would be Notepad, in Mac Os X it would be Textedit.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
vman
vman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
David, I downloaded Oxygen10 then I edited the file deleting the lines 61-62-63-64-65-66-70 and ... now it's working: YOU'RE NUMBER ONE, Thanks
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
vman

SIGH ... It seemed to be workin: it's in English but now there is a triagle with the symbol "!" in middle and the writing "Invalid format" ... what I can do to fix this situation?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Do you mean that this appears when you try and read a book ? If yes, this means that the book is in an unsupported format (I got this a few times for Calibre converted ePub files).
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
vman

SOLVED
Thanks
Enzo
Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
Doug8164
Doug8164 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you

Thank you, this has been a great help. I've been banging my head of the desk for the last two days trying to figure out how to unfreeze my reader, used my PSP charger and bingo worked straight away. Thank you again, much happier bunny :-)
Doug8164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum Doug8164.
I'm glad that it worked.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
mickylonster
mickylonster began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505 e reader
Hi to all HELP needed, my prs 505 WILL NOT TURN OFF ????
mickylonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #24
mickylonster
mickylonster began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505 e reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
A few people have been a bit confused about doing a soft or hard reset on their readers when they freeze, or otherwise misbehave. As a consequence, they have been plunging paperclips and other pointed objects into every orifice or aperture that the Reader possesses. This does not lead to happy results.

Here are a couple of hints:

Re-charging
1. If your Reader freezes, the first thing to try is a long recharge. This is also the thing to try if the battery meter seems to drain too quickly. (It sometimes takes several charge cycles before the battery bars display accurately. And I have found that several short recharges often lead to inaccurate battery displays. A long mains recharge puts this right.)

Recharging via a mains charger is essential if a PRS500 has become completely drained or frozen, and is often more reliable with the PRS505.
If you have a PRS500 it came with a mains charger. The PRS505 doesn't. But, in both cases, a Sony PSP charger works too (borrow one from a teenager). Plug it in, connect to the reader and check that the little red charging light comes on. Then leave it for several hours, preferably overnight.
In many cases this has solved the problem entirely.

Reset
2. If your Reader is still frozen then you will have to try a soft reset. If that doesn't work then try a hard reset. These both involve prodding a straightened paperclip (or similar) into the hole on the back of the Reader. Remove the cover. Turn the Reader over. There is a very small hole. It is labelled 'reset' in very tiny letters. Do not stick the paperclip anywhere else. And before trying a reset, read the instructions.

Reset Instructions
can be found on the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Portable_Reader

Or you may consult the manual (which should appear in your ebook/Connect library).

I hope this helps.
Hi Patricia , yesterday I went out and bought a psp charger , charged my 505 all night, and this morning , there was still script on the screen, after i remov ed it from the charger, and slid the power button to ON , a small orange light flickered and then an on screen message said the book was starting up . At this moment in time , I have started the usb charge and the red light is glowing . I am still able to read the present book I was reading before this happened , I am resigned to this situation until I return to the Uk in Jan2010 I was just wondering If this prolonged use with the book unable to shut down will be detrimental to the battery ? much appreciate your input and thank you for sugestions , kind thoughts , Mickylonster
mickylonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #25
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if the red light is glowing then the reader is recharging.

Once you are sure that it has charged up, then try a soft reset. If that doesn't work then try a hard reset.

Incidentally, have you tried turning the device off by using the setting menu? Go to Main menu, then Settings, then Advanced Settings then Device Shutdown.
This should really turn it off.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickylonster View Post
I am resigned to this situation until I return to the Uk in Jan2010 I was just wondering If this prolonged use with the book unable to shut down will be detrimental to the battery ?
Micky, I am sure others have suggested it but if not, have you tried formatting the internal memory? Most of the "can't turn off" issues seem to revolve around some kind of internal memory corruption and are solved by a format.

Of course, this will erase any books on the device.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
RavenT69
RavenT69 began at the beginning.

Red light?

I keep reading where everyone is saying the Charge indicator light.... I have a Sony PRS 505, and I don't see a charge light anywhere. Where is it supposed to be? I bought a wall charger for it, because it won't reset with a hard reset, and have had it plugged in for 3 days. I have no idea if it is charged, since I can't find that supposed light. I try to turn it on, and nothing happens.... I bought a charger on ebay, the is specifically for the Sony PRS 505, so I know it should work. I still can't find the "charge light" though. A little help?

Thanks,
Tovah
RavenT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenT69 View Post
I keep reading where everyone is saying the Charge indicator light.... I have a Sony PRS 505, and I don't see a charge light anywhere. Where is it supposed to be? I bought a wall charger for it, because it won't reset with a hard reset, and have had it plugged in for 3 days. I have no idea if it is charged, since I can't find that supposed light. I try to turn it on, and nothing happens.... I bought a charger on ebay, the is specifically for the Sony PRS 505, so I know it should work. I still can't find the "charge light" though. A little help?

Thanks,
Tovah
It's on the top left of the Reader, next to the hinge. It only comes on then the device is recharging.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #29
RavenT69
RavenT69 began at the beginning.

I'm not sure mine works then. It's always looked like a little black dot. I currently have it charging with the USB charger, and it's still a little black dot. It has NEVER been red, or orange, or anything....
RavenT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #30
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenT69 View Post
I'm not sure mine works then. It's always looked like a little black dot. I currently have it charging with the USB charger, and it's still a little black dot. It has NEVER been red, or orange, or anything....
When you say "USB charger", do you mean a dedicated charger with a mini-USB tip? Because those don't work for the Sony. Use a charger for a PSP (with a barrel tip), the connector is in the middle of the bottom of the reader, or use your PC to charge (this, because of varying hardware specs and implementations is less reliable than the dedicated PSP charger).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging battery, reset