Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
What is the dictionary provided with iBooks in major markets? (UK, US, DE)

I was suggested I will more than likely will not be able to install custom dictionaries on iOS https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256469

Then the question is - I was not able to find an answer in Google -, what is the name of the dictionary (Merriam Webster, Oxford, etc.) provided by Apple in major markets (UK, US, Germany, for example), and how do I change locale if I want to change between these provided dictionaries? As the devices are not country-coded.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
iOS devices come with monolingual English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese and Korean dictionaries and bilingual Chinese, Japanese and Korean dictionaries. For details, see the screen capture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dicts.png
Views:	166
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	135349  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
iOS devices come with monolingual English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese and Korean dictionaries and bilingual Chinese, Japanese and Korean dictionaries. For details, see the screen capture.
US - The New Oxford American dictionary, which I like.

The only question is, what is the rationale the same dictionary is sold in the app store for $15 if you already have it for free; what is the rationale behind it?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
US - The New Oxford American dictionary, which I like.

The only question is, what is the rationale the same dictionary is sold in the app store for $15 if you already have it for free; what is the rationale behind it?
Perhaps for those who want to open it as an app rather than only interact with it while using email, texting, autocorrecting, etc. I personally bought the Oxford English dictionary for that reason.