Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
Zorg58
Zorg58 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0.7 Droid ICS
Calibre 'Author Management' window for CC mis-sorts

OMG. I had to use an unbelievably convoluted process to get the images in but here they are:

Charlaine Harris

Michael Robotham and Karin Slaughter

I won't repeat the rest of what i wrote. it's in the previous post.
Thanks!

? Is it possible newer members are not allowed to put attachments in their posts? Everything worked fine up to the point when I clicked "Close Window" and nothing happened (all 27 times and ways I retried it).
Zorg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Zorg58

posted in error. sorry, disregard.(no delete button?)

Last edited by Zorg58; 06-08-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: posted in error. disregard.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg58 View Post
All the titles in Calibre are checked off as "On Device."

Here are screenshots from "Manage Authors" dialogue for 3 of the authors that are sorting incorrectly in CC. A list of the remaining 'mis-sorting' authors is below the 2nd screenshot.

Charlaine Harris:
Attachment 106795

Michael Robotham and Karen Slaughter
Attachment 106796

Also: Kate Carlisle, Jasper Fforde, Stephen King, Toni Morrison and Charles Todd are all sorted by their first names. Let me know if you need more data or screenshots.
Thanks for helping me with this.

p.s. For books with multiple authors I normally exclude all but one author in the listing but authors I deleted weeks or months ago are showing up in CC. They don't show up anywhere in Calibre. Also, I have 78 books listed in CC with author, "unknown." 95% of the 78 unknown titles consist of six garbled characters each. I plan to just delete the 'unknown' group and resync but I thought I would mention it. I suppose it's just a glitch in processing the files?
Putting aside all the attachment kerfuffle (thanks for trying so hard), it is beginning to look like there are books on your device that are not in your calibre library. There are various ways that this can happen including using multiple libraries and putting books into CC's folder using an app other than CC. In both cases one must have had CC's "scan for new books" option set to true at least once.

The "Unknown" authors are consistent with the second path, being added by some other app or already there when CC was installed. When CC scans for new books it extracts metadata from the book, adds the book to its database with that metadata, then passes the metadata to calibre in hopes that calibre can improve/correct it. Often calibre can, but in cases where the embedded metadata is of low quality then calibre can't do anything with it.

Connect your device then look at the "Device view". You do that by clicking on the "Device" button in the tool bar next to the library button. Look at the "In Library" column to find book on your device that are not in your library. Sorting the view by In Library makes this process much easier, especially if you have a big library. I hope that you will find the "odd" books listed without a check mark. If so, you can decide what to do about them -- delete them from the device or add them to the library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Zorg58

Big problem solved! One more to go ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
... it is beginning to look like there are books on your device that are not in your calibre library ... Connect your device then look at the "Device view." ... Look at the "In Library" column to find book on your device that are not in your library... I hope that you will find the "odd" books listed without a check mark...
Thank you! That worked perfectly! All the 'orphan' books are now deleted. The aforementioned authors are still sorting on first name, though. In "device view" in Calibre they are correctly sorted. In the "files" view on the device, some authors are within folders, some are not and some have both a folder and some titles as individual files not in their folder. The majority of authors do not have folders but just individual files. The mis-sorted authors each have a folder and individual titles outside their folder. But there are other authors with the same characteristics who are not mis-sorted. I honestly don't know if any of that info is relevant or useful ... Perhaps my best course is just to delete the mis-sorted authors, re-load and hope for the best. Thanks again for all your help!