Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Aldiko delete not working for me

...well it is, actually, but here's the thing: I put my own book on my Galaxy S (yes, vanity, I hang my head in shame) and I later upgraded the cover. The new cover is really nice, the old one not so much.

So I thought I'd load the new version. I delete the book, load the new one and... still the old cover! I can't tell if it is picking up the newer version because the text is unchanged, just the cover. Well, I could mess with the text deliberately, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew why/where it keeps finding that old cover. I suspect the old version is lurking somewhere.

I've browsed the files, even did a search when the USB cable was connected and I could do it from my laptop. I can't see a file. But maybe Aldiko hides these things in a database rather than the file system.

Does anyone know?
Not a huge problem, it is just a cover. But, as I said, the new cover is much nicer.
Thanks for any help
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sounds like a bug to me. Probably the images are stored in a different place than the text.

Try importing it with a different name and see what happens?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Good idea, thanks. It didn't work though. Well, I changed the file name and that didn't work. I suppose I could mess with the book metadata and change the title but, you know, I'd end up with the wrong title which would be worse than the wrong cover.

So I went around again and removed all the files for that book from the SD as well as deleting it from Aldiko. Then I copied the file into the eBook/imports directory imported it. Still the old cover (!!) but I did find that if I long press the entry fot the book (in list mode only) it lets me specify new cover art. Of course I do have my covers in my brag gallery (more vanity) so I changed it that way.

it looks fine now, but I'm still interested in the 'real' solution.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I'm still learning through trial and error so not too good at this.......

I think the ugly cover is built into the epub and you can change it in Calibre. There's a part called Tweak epub where you can dig through and delete the ugly picture. Can't really tell you how though because I'm no expert and I"ve recently spent days trying to figure this out.

Probably the easiest way is to replace the picture in Aldiko with your own gallery picture. Worked for me until I got too curious about a permanent fix.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Roger Parkinson
Zealot

I just found the problem and, yes, the epub does have the old cover. epub files are just zip files in disguise (which I did already know) so I opened it up and found the cover image. Sure enough, the wrong one was in there.
There's a small problem on Smashwords causing this. If an author changes cover but doesn't change the text then the new cover is propagated to the website, including retailer websites, but the epub file is not regenerated. So to get it updated properly I need to re-upload the text. This is fine now that I know. Hopefully the answer helps someone else.
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for letting us know!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote