Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I had that many Readers, my wife would have me killed.

To be honest, I might want one more. But until then, my H2O is still good. I don't use any of the others besides the H2O. I do sometimes use my iPhone or iPad.
Yeah, my Mom is giving me stuff about it. The K3s were maybe $12 a piece, so a good deal. I have a Nook ST up for sale now and probably need to sell 2 more (likely the Paperwhite 2 and Kindle 5 or 7) along with 2 of the Fire 7s. BTW, love your Halloween look. Alansplace made me one for my dinosaur a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find it this year.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yeah, my Mom is giving me stuff about it. The K3s were maybe $12 a piece, so a good deal. I have a Nook ST up for sale now and probably need to sell 2 more (likely the Paperwhite 2 and Kindle 5 or 7) along with 2 of the Fire 7s. BTW, love your Halloween look. Alansplace made me one for my dinosaur a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find it this year.
Are you keeping all those Kindles charged? They don't turn off so the battery just dies.

As for your avatar, try this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8b545db0631b18c53d2c86a7378f18b3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	174394  
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you keeping all those Kindles charged? They don't turn off so the battery just dies.

As for your avatar, try this one...
Thanks for the Halloween Rex!! Yes, I have a schedule. Those not in daily use are shut off rather than left in sleep mode, and checked on the first of the month - charged if necessary. My brother killed his Kindle Keyboard by not charging it for over 2 years (I traded it in for Voyage), so I am keenly aware of that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Alansplace made me one for my dinosaur a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find it this year.
I love the dinomoon, but if you'd like your old avatar, here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	user60538_pic6649_1413312445.png
Views:	67
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	174403
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddle View Post
I notice a lot of forum members own numerous e-book readers, why? Is it just a collecting thing or is there a practical reason?
Do you mean own or use? technical speaking I own a touch, 5 mini's, an H2O and a GLO. But most of them are in use by my girlfriend and daugthers. I myself use a mini on the go and the H2O at home (bedroom). A second mini is a spare I use to play with (check firmware, patches, ....)
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I own a KPW1 from 2012 (sold my Kindle Touch to buy this one).

I also own a Kobo Aura ONE. With the latest firmware and the newest patches, I'd not return to a Kindle anymore. The reasons I'm keeping the KPW1 are as such:

- As a backup in case something happens to my KA1 and I don't want or can't replace it immediately.
- It has an easily replaceable battery, so it theoretically will work as long as the reader itself works and battery replacements are made (and I can replace them without breaking the reader).
- It's 6 inch, so sometimes it's more convenient; in case I want to take a reader, but not take a bag. The KA1 does fit in my jacket's pockets, but it's a tight fit. The KPW1 fits in there with room to spare for another one.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Sony 350 (if only this had a front light, it would still be the best to me)
Kobo Glo
Kindle PW2 (bought when on sale just to check it out, never really used it)
Kobo Glo HD

But I have 2 or 3 of each of the Sony and Kobo readers. I absolutely love the Glo HD though, and got them at about $80 each, and I can't imagine anything coming out better for me, especially since you can swap out the internal micro card for a much larger one. Nothing has even tempted me since.

The Kindle PW2 I bought on a lark when on a Black Friday super sale, more to be able to check books that I scanned after converting from epub to azw. But I've never liked using it. Even now finally with adjustable fonts and thickness (what took Amazon so long to add that basic feature), the margins and space between lines is still far too large for my comfort.

So I expect I'll keep using my Glo HDs for many many more years to come.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #23
celticchrys
Enthusiast
celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2014 (1st edition)
I suppose I "technically" own two. I have a Nook Color, which has a broken charger, and so is defunct. However, it was actually purchased to use as a small tablet, and I ran a regular Android on it for a few years, then passed it on to my mother who also used it just as an Android tablet for a few years.

The only e-ink device I have, and the only functioning dedicated ereader is the Kobo Aura H2O (first edition). I bought it not long before the second edition came out, because it had a higher-res screen than a lot of other devices at the time, but still had an SD card. It is still a great device. The Overdrive integration that newer models have sometimes seems tempting, but since this one is still working perfectly, it would be really silly to buy one.
celticchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #24
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I have:

1. An Elonex complete with bust screen (I fell asleep on it...)
2. An Aluratek Libre got in a hurry to replace the Elonex (it was cheap and at the time i was short of cash)
3. A Kobo Touch which sort of works (I have too many books and the Mac decided it didn't like a device with a bigger external 32GB SD card than than the 2GB internal one)
4. An 8GB Icarus which the Mac stopped liking as well with the 32GB SD card and Icarus went out of business. Still works, but is now retired.
5. A 32GB Kobo Forma

I also have 2 iPads (a mini 2 and a 9.7" Pro), an iPhone and a Google Nexus 7 which probably still works. Technically the second iPad belongs to my partner but the SIM stopped working (a problem with the connection) so he got a replacement and passed the 9.7" onto me (I use my phone as a hotspot if required). My original iPad still works but won't take iOS 13.

Some gadgeteering here, but bearing in mind my first device was a palm m500...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #25
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Currently the Kobo Forma and the original H2O
OT. I have a H20 first gen now and I want to buy a Forma, so I'm curious...
Is the forma lighter and more manageable during a long reading?
I saw it and used it a little in the store so I know it's lighter, and love the ergonomic, but I was wondering how the difference was using it for a long time
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #26
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have an original Glo (given to my father), a touch somewhere lol, a broken Nook st that was my first ereader, a mini that I keep because it's nice, a h20 first gen that's my current reader,and I'm about to buy a Forma.
The e-readers I purchased were all upgrades
I don't use more than one reader because I like having my bookmarks, read books, reading percentages etc on one device, I give old devices to relatives, or I keep them, because if they still work it's a shame to throw them away, and selling them is not convenient

Last edited by perisiana; 10-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #27
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
OT. I have a H20 first gen now and I want to buy a Forma, so I'm curious...
Is the forma lighter and more manageable during a long reading?
I saw it and used it a little in the store so I know it's lighter, and love the ergonomic, but I was wondering how the difference was using it for a long time
I’d say it comes down to your hand size. The H2O and actually any smaller ereader feels tiny in my hand. I can hold it in my palm and tap either side of the screen with either my thumb or middle finger fairly easily to give you some idea.
The Forma obviously won’t allow me to do this since it’s wider either way it’s held.

However I feel the Forma is easier to hold since I can rest a corner in the space between my thumb and pointer, resting the back of the Forma on my fingers with my thumb on the lower button. I think this is how kobo imagines people will hold it since by default the lower button moves forward. The Forma is significantly lighter and is balanced so that the weight will be closer to your palm and thus your stronger support vs the tips of your fingers.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have enough that the questions, "What do you need another ereader for?" and "Don't you have enough ereaders?" have been asked several times. So far, the only answer that seems to work is, "I'm just testing it before giving it to you." Though, I don't really believe she is buying that. Of course, she hasn't turned down any of the ereaders I've tried that with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #29
LzFm
LzFm began at the beginning.

Device: Forma | Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddle View Post
I notice a lot of forum members own numerous e-book readers, why? Is it just a collecting thing or is there a practical reason?
I have just a couple of Kobos. My first one is an Aura H20 Edition 1 which I bought in 2016 and it's great since it has an SD card slot. Only issue with Aura H20 is that the text ghosting is so terrible when you're highlighting. Unless I refresh the page, the text won't go back to its original state. Also, I paid a premium price on it (about $195) due to mark-ups and taxes--total bummer. Nevertheless, it's a pretty solid device. I actually like the screen lighting better on Aura H20 than any other Kobo devices I've seen. Plus, it is mid-sized and easily fits into my bag organiser. I never leave the house without it.

And then when they released Kobo Forma last year...I'm sold at first sight! I bought mine in Tokyo and got it at a discounted price of about $260. I only use it at home since the screen is larger. But I can read on it comfortably for hours! For me, the only downside on the Forma is that dimmed part near the page buttons and that annoyingly placed power button. Other than that, it's a great device
LzFm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 AM   #30
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I used to buy a new e-reader and sell the old one. But once I used the new one for a while I often got sad when thinking about my old e-reader.

Like I got rid of my Voyage to buy an Oasis 2, then decided to sell my Oasis 2 and buy a Paperwhite, then decided I really wanted a Voyage again and re-bought a refurbished one. Then I got a Kobo Libra, but ended up returning it. Now I recently bought an Oasis 3 and I've just decided I'm keeping all my 'old' e-readers because when I'm in the mood I might want to pick those up again.

I'm not doing the whole buying, selling, and re-buying again. Even if I won't ever use my Kindle Voyage, it's the e-reader with the best contrast so I'm never getting rid of it. One of my kids might like to use it when they're older. One of my sons uses my old Paperwhite 3, so I was glad I still had that one.

Last edited by SusanReads; 10-21-2019 at 02:34 AM.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote