Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #46
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am terrible at interpreting poetry. I thought this Wikipedia article was helpful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubla_Khan
Thank you for that link Bookworm girl.

A major early study of Coleridge including "Kubla Khan" is The Road to Xanadu: A Study in the Ways of the Imagination[/I] (Houghton Mifflin, 1927) by John Livingston Lowes.

It is available free for download on Internet Archive and is well worth reading.

I love all three of those great poems by Coleridge and "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is utterly entrancing.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:56 AM   #47
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I wonder what Douglas Adams would think of today's technology if he were still alive. One of the things that was fun about the book was the nostalgia reading about old technology when it was written. Do you think that someone younger reading this book would find it funny? Does he stand the test of time with this series? I find this an interesting question because I read the book in the time period when it was first published, and I don't know that I would like it if I were to read it now in today's modern era at the same age I was back then.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I know comedy dates quickly; not only are the references stale or meaningless, it can offend. I cringe today when Ricky spanks Lucy, for example. That said, I'd hope they'd be charmed by the wit and even by the look at early personal computer technology. I suspect some of the images in their heads are quite inaccurate, however; do they have any idea how very big Gordon's car phone would have been? Those things were shoe-size.

Last edited by issybird; 10-31-2019 at 06:50 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:39 AM   #49
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Sort of funny how we can be nostalgic for something that was really only around for a few years. I mean car phones and answering machines of the type used in the story were both quite brief stars on the technological landscape. Indeed, the timing of Dirk Gently (1987) is probably hitting on the peak for both. Dependency and peculiarities of land-line telephones is something that I don't need to be nostalgic about, as I still depend on a land-line (as mobile reception here is dodgy). In 1987 there was still considerable optimism for what computers might become capable of achieving, and this story reflects that.

I doubt if Adams would be all that surprised to discover how far technology has progressed, nor by how little progress has been made with it - if you can accept my distinction. To see the Internet coming, and then to see what it has become. I think his involvement with conservation may have given him a more realistic outlook than many, but also means, I think, that the political landscape would have shaken him rather more than the technological one - but then he'd hardly be alone in that.

I think the technology of the book is both familiar enough, and recent enough, to still work even for younger audiences, although I notice that some comedy like this is considered amusing by younger generations on generational grounds (what those old farts used to get up to) rather than understanding the humour inherent at the time. But what else can we expect? (I see issybird made a similar observation.)

Last edited by gmw; 10-31-2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: outlook not output
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #50
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I wonder what Douglas Adams would think of today's technology if he were still alive. One of the things that was fun about the book was the nostalgia reading about old technology when it was written. Do you think that someone younger reading this book would find it funny? Does he stand the test of time with this series? I find this an interesting question because I read the book in the time period when it was first published, and I don't know that I would like it if I were to read it now in today's modern era at the same age I was back then.
I think he would love it. He was one of the very early people to use Apple computers, and you may have noted his reference to them.

I think his wit would come through despite the older technology in use. For instance, the comments about the horse and what it thinks are lovely.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 02:16 AM   #51
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
[...] I think his wit would come through despite the older technology in use. For instance, the comments about the horse and what it thinks are lovely.
Indeed, especially:
Quote:
a perfectly ordinary horse, such as convergent evolution has produced in many of the places that life is to be found. They have always understood a great deal more than they let on. It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature, without forming an opinion about them.

On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have the slightest thought about them whatsoever.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My particular favorite was the long riff on the horse's thoughts on his possibilities as he surveyed the pasture. It was his Eden. Alas, even to the snake in Monk's garb. What were the odds he'd go stand under the tree?

It hadn't occurred to me, but it brings up the issue of predestination. Did he have to go there? Certainly for the purpose of the story he did, but did he do it under divine compulsion or just dumb bad luck? Alternatively, is it a case of infinite universes and in all the rest of them the horse went anywhere but the tree?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #53
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My particular favorite was the long riff on the horse's thoughts on his possibilities as he surveyed the pasture. It was his Eden. Alas, even to the snake in Monk's garb. What were the odds he'd go stand under the tree?

It hadn't occurred to me, but it brings up the issue of predestination. Did he have to go there? Certainly for the purpose of the story he did, but did he do it under divine compulsion or just dumb bad luck? Alternatively, is it a case of infinite universes and in all the rest of them the horse went anywhere but the tree?
These are deep and serious questions, issybird. I think the horse went to stand under the tree because Douglas Adams told him to.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #54
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Since there was only one tree in the field it was fate. Had there been multiple trees it would have been luck ... although, since we know that this world has a god, in the form of the author, we might say that the existence of just a single tree was divine intervention.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:38 AM   #55
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Indeed - Adams certainly put that one tree in that particular field.

In looking for something else about Douglas Adams, I stumbled over a BBC recording of a Desert Island Discs interview he did in 1994. It covers a number of the areas we have been discussing, such as his interest in new technology, and he also reveals the particular work by Bach that he was playing while he wrote Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and had in mind when he refers in the book to a particular work by Bach. It is 40 minutes well spent if you are interested. Here's the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0093qxj
Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #56
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thank you for the link to the interview!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #57
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finally finished this. No idea why it took me so long to read other than my general "not in the mood for reading" this year. I really hope I get over this soon.

I enjoyed it but nowhere near as much as I enjoy the HHGTTG.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #58
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I finally finished this. No idea why it took me so long to read other than my general "not in the mood for reading" this year. I really hope I get over this soon.

I haven't read HHGTTG in years and years and years. So can't directly compare. But I did enjoy this. And I'm doing a re-read now because I think the first time through I missed too much. It's harder to re-read, however. My interest lags plus I've been restricted to audio books mostly right now (my old, first-gen Oasis died and had to be replaced with a shiny new Oasis. Which arrived yesterday. ) The only audiobook version is an abridged narration. Not helpful.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

I vastly preferred this to HHGTTG, going by my intention to read the sequel whereas I never pursued the other.

A reading slump is a topic that used to come here at intervals. They do end. There are strategies, but it's hard to say what will work for you and your particular circumstances. A buddy read with your daughter? Reading with kids is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I haven't read HHGTTG in years and years and years. So can't directly compare. But I did enjoy this. And I'm doing a re-read now because I think the first time through I missed too much.
In addition to the wit and the inventiveness, what I liked best about this is that Adams didn't condescend to the reader. He played fair, and it was up to the reader to pick up on themes and clues. It was a challenge. It made it a good book for discussion, too, as I could benefit from seeing what others caught that I missed.

However, I agree that the interest isn't quite there in an immediate reread. I'd like to reread it at some point, though, knowing where it's going. I felt the same way about The Natural; the depth could only be entirely appreciated on a reread.

Someday for both, but so many books....
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I actually didn't mind doing a reread straight away, as there was so much to catch the second time around that it was entertaining seeing just how much Adams gave us. It really made me appreciate just how clever and intricate it all was.

I reread The Natural while I was on my little holiday, but apart from picking up on just how many references to birds there were in it, I didn't feel I got so much out of it as I thought I might.