Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
mjart
mjart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis
Spell Check problems

I'm having several issues with the Editor, not related so I will list them in different threads. First, I just updated to 4.3. I went in to editor preferences and reset everything to default even though I haven't purposefully changed any settings. I have read through editor threads, listened to the video about editor, and started doing the lessons about html and css on the W3 website.
That said, the spelling corrections that I am making aren't staying.
I'll open editor, correct spelling either directly in the text, or in the spell check "window", click refresh or save depending on where the corrections were made, then close the editor. When I reopen the book in editor non of the corrections have stayed, it's as if I hadn't done anything (spelling wise). Other aspects of editing are working fine, i.e. formatting.
The spell check did work fine up until a few days ago. I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong or how to fix problem. Please help, my horse would like to be feed on time again.
mjart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When you spell correct (in the Editor), you need to save your book.

Open the Metadata editor. Do you also show an Original_epub on the right side? (I have that feature disabled as I had issues of what is used the next time. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
mjart

Before I close editor I either a. go to file and click save, or b. click the "save file" icon.

It's as if a gremlin crawled into my computer and hatched many baby gremlins. In an attempt to rectify some of the problems, I downloaded version 3.48, however that didn't help.

1. when I put my mouse over the ignore word icon in the editor spell checking window, I get a tooltip that say's "ignore the current word for the rest of this session" then the icon turns blue. this is new, it hasn't done that before and I don't know how to tell it to "ignore the current word till hell freezes over" (I actually would really like it to say that)
2. If I correct the word directly in editor the "save file" icon should turn blue letting me know changes have been made, it does not it stays gray, not recognizing the changes. So there is no way to save the changed file. Same with the" save file" under the file heading.
3. I've used the "copy the selected file to another editor instance" several times before with no issue, now when I try and use this feature, when I go to paste the file into the other book I get a error message: IOError:[Errno 2]

All these things worked fine a week or so ago. What have I done! At this point I think tears may be in order. I wonder if I should let the calibre team no of the problems or if I've just really messed things up.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
mjart

Theducks: I'm sorry, I don't know where the metadata editor is, or if I do, I don't know where to find it. I've learned much in the past months (basic html, css, don't do so well with coding) but I still have much to learn.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjart View Post
Before I close editor I either a. go to file and click save, or b. click the "save file" icon.

It's as if a gremlin crawled into my computer and hatched many baby gremlins. In an attempt to rectify some of the problems, I downloaded version 3.48, however that didn't help.

1. when I put my mouse over the ignore word icon in the editor spell checking window, I get a tooltip that say's "ignore the current word for the rest of this session" then the icon turns blue. this is new, it hasn't done that before and I don't know how to tell it to "ignore the current word till hell freezes over" (I actually would really like it to say that)
Add to Dictionary

2. If I correct the word directly in editor the "save file" icon should turn blue letting me know changes have been made, it does not it stays gray, not recognizing the changes. So there is no way to save the changed file. Same with the" save file" under the file heading.
Bingo: You are in read only mode (and I don't know how you get there )

3. I've used the "copy the selected file to another editor instance" several times before with no issue, now when I try and use this feature, when I go to paste the file into the other book I get a error message: IOError:[Errno 2]
this sounds like all your edit sessions are read only

All these things worked fine a week or so ago. What have I done! At this point I think tears may be in order. I wonder if I should let the calibre team no of the problems or if I've just really messed things up.
Comments inline
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
mjart

hurrah, we are getting somewhere! so I am in read only mode, how do I get out of "read only" and back into edit. Working on a mac with mojave. (my horses would like this fixed, I keep feeding them late, they get feed, just later then usual, Yesterday, they figured out how to open the gate and got a bale of hay out themselves and have been self feeding, I'm O.K. with that!)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
mjart

1. I went into "sharing and permissions" for calibre and changed everything to write and read, then made sure the change stayed

2. Then I closed calibre, and shut down my computer, just to be sure.

3. restarted calibre after I had changed "sharing and permissions: to read and write and opened up editor, opened spell check, and went to "ignore words" tab, just as before, same results. blued tab with same "ignore the current word for the rest of this session", then the tab turned a light blue. I refreshed the spell check window, closed it. After closing the spell check window the " save file " icon should have turned blue, indicating I needed to save the changes. But it doesn't.

I really don't know what to do. I thought by going back to an older version of calibre my problems would be solved. No such luck.

Other editing, except for problems mentioned above, seems to be working, search and replace, changes to CSS, and other changes in html document. Just spell check and changes in the file broser. It also won't let me move files around inside the file browser.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
mjart

Also: I'm working in azw3 files, so I converted a book into epub to see if I have the same problems and I do. I get the "ignore the current word for the rest of this session" message in epub also. What else can I try?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bit of long shot.

When you are editing a book, you're working on a copy of it in a system temporary folder, I have no idea where that might be on a MacOS system, but it looks like you have some sort of permissions issue with it - again no idea why.

But, Calibre has an Environment Variable, CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR, that allows you to set the location where it creates its 'temporary files" see ==>> Environment variables - there's a link to a 'how to set Env Vars' at the end of that page.

Try creating a directory named say 'CalibreTemp' in your home directory and set CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR to it - now run the editor and do a spell check.

Good luck

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #10
mjart

well, I think I might have found the problem and its above my intellect. Thankyou muchly The Ducks and BetterRed, you put me in the right direction. I'm going to have to buck-up and make the long trek to the mighty metropolis of anchorage (not really) and visit the apple store. Through wrong info and no info from their tech "experts" my computer is still realling from injury .