Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
r4u5ch, that is the clue from heyman! Go get it man!
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
MD5: FBA53A8FDAC531484D8E612F6FE39284
SHA1: 139FCAAADC8AD0BD363E661FA7079C95A32DBC29
CRC32: 840C8D0F
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #18
mb93
mb93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles 3G, 3W, DXG
Hi,
I have the same issue.
I bought a second hand DXG (B009) with a 3.2.1 firmware version.
So, impossible to register the kindle ("Unable to connect at this time..." message)

Where did you find the update_restore-os.bin 2.5.8 to downgrade the firmware ?
Until now, i can't find it...

Thank you
mb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
Kindle DX Software Updates:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201504450

Wouldn't this be all anyone needs?
I still have a DXG that I use on occasion, and 3G still works (albeit slooowly). I think I installed 2.5.8 plus probably the service update a year or two ago.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
The last time I looked the 3G worked but it was never very fast and even years ago the net portion was painfully slow and was frustrating to use on any website.

I live outside the whispernet area so I rarely used it much to start with but I still like my DC for reading.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #21
mb93

@dmin7th, thank for the link but it is for upgrade only.
I'm searching update_restore-os.bin 2.5.8 fille mentioned by Heyman.

Otherwise I have another Kindle DXG with an 2.5.8 jailbreaked version. Does anyone know if and how I can make a firmware backup from there and install it on the other?
Old 11-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #22
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb93 View Post
@dmin7th, thank for the link but it is for upgrade only.
I'm searching update_restore-os.bin 2.5.8 fille mentioned by Heyman.

Otherwise I have another Kindle DXG with an 2.5.8 jailbreaked version. Does anyone know if and how I can make a firmware backup from there and install it on the other?
Good then, you can restore the other Kindle DX with the one with 2.5.8 in it. Just create the restore .bin file by using the kindle updater
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127969
Good luck!
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #23
mb93

Hi,
Thank you DeKuns, I made a backup of my Kindle DXG 2.5.8 with KindleUpdater.
If well understood, I need to put generated rootfs.img and update_restore-os.bin on my second Kindle and launch "update your kindle" to downgrade. Is it so ?

Before doing this, is there a utility to make a complete backup of this second kindle (it's jealbreaked, too) just in case ?

Last edited by mb93; 11-09-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #24
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb93 View Post
Hi,
Thank you DeKuns, I made a backup of my Kindle DXG 2.5.8 with KindleUpdater.
If well understood, I need to put generated rootfs.img and update_restore-os.bin on my second Kindle and launch "update your kindle" to downgrade. Is it so ?

Before doing this, is there a utility to make a complete backup of this second kindle (it's jealbreaked, too) just in case ?
The answer for the first question is "yes".
For the second question, I never try but KindleUpdater, in principle, will create a backup of the second Kindle as well if you execute it in the second kindle.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #25
mb93

Hi,
It is not possible to make a backup on the 3.2.1 DXG with kindleupdater as the "update Your kindle" remains disabled...

Meanwhile, I found an alternative solution to register without downgrading ! I can now buy Amazon books with my PC and transfert them via USB cable while 3G still doesn't work.
The method is a bit tricky and it needs SSH via UsbNetwork hack.
I did it in 2 steps:
1/ I had my device registered in my amazon account by Amazon customer service.
2/ with ssh/UsbNetwork , I created the missing "reginfo" file (/var/local/java/prefs) with my new registration data.

In copying client.p12 file from 2.5.8 to 3.2.1 (/var/local/java/prefs/certs), suprisilingly, 3G works partially. Now the 3.2.1 gets the titles of my books in the archive folder as well as those of the purchased books! But because the certificate is invalid, I cannot download them. Download remains "spending" indefinitely.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
mb93

Hi,
Epilogue: finally, I managed to restore the image of my 1st kindle in 2.58 on the 2nd which was in 3.2.1.
Then I applied the Kindle update to continue using the playstore.
But by restoring, the date of my kindle got reset to 1970 and therefore impossible to re-register!
To change the date, i had to use UsbNetwork hack and connecting with telnet, the date came back to the normal and the DX got registered automatically!
there were a lot of obstacles to overcome but at the end, everything is all right!
Many thanks to those helped me.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I found that just leaving Wireless on for a couple of days and periodically waking the DXG fixed the time. I did manage to Jailbreak, add sleep cover and font enhancement. The USB hack wasn't recognised.
It had got reset to 1970 by being utterly flat. See the time thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...t=79519&page=3
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 1, kindle dx, kindle dx date, kindle dx graphite