Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Some clarification from the randy penguin:
Quote:
Penguin Random House has decided that at this stage we will not participate in unlimited access subscription models. Our decision was made collectively by the company’s international leadership team to preserve a diversity of content in the marketplace and the actual and perceived long-term value of our authors’ intellectual property.
Via:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...cess-services/
That's good, if it's the real reason. Because Unlimited (especially via SP KDP Select) does reduce competition. The tracking methods invade privacy. No way should the book seller know how many or which pages you've read.
They also cheat authors & publishers because the page read tracking isn't reliable. Remuneration should be per book, not per page.

I regularly bring up Amazon's business practices because they are ultimately toxic to publishers, authors and readers. Their aim is complete control of books.
They are at 90% of ebooks and in USA over 80% of online paper book sales.
An example of lack of regulation by US Government who rarely protect consumers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_by_Amazon

Last edited by Quoth; 01-23-2020 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Why criticise Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 AM   #32
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do agree that is skeezy.

I'd like to point you to any Quentin Tarantino movie.

You could argue that any nudity or violence is gratuitous. Some of the greatest films of all time were made under the Hays code.

I love horror movies, especially the George Romero zombie movies and Sam Raimi's Evil Dead movies. I'm not a prude or calling for censorship. I just always thought the dichotomy between sex and violence in the States was strange. (I can only talk about the US as that's all I'm familiar with.)

At any rate, I don't mean to derail the thread. I'll let it go.
ZodWallop, were you perchance on the now defunct Imdb forum?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #33
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Remuneration should be per book, not per page.
Why?
The current system rewards authors who write books people want to read all the way through to the end, and penalises click-bait titles which aren't good enough to get people to continue reading. It also removes the incentives for gaming the system by splitting books up into multiple small titles.
Isn't that a good thing?
If this had nothing to do with Amazon, say there was an indie authors collective which had set up their own subscription service and paid on the same basis, would you have the same opinion?

Last edited by murraypaul; 01-23-2020 at 05:27 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:41 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Why?
The current system rewards authors who write books people want to read all the way through to the end, and penalises click-bait titles which aren't good enough to get people to continue reading. It also removes the incentives for gaming the system by splitting books up into multiple small titles.
Isn't that a good thing?
If this had nothing to do with Amazon, say there was an indie authors collective which had set up their own subscription service and paid on the same basis, would you have the same opinion?
It's not buying and selling books.
It's a completely new model by a Monopolist. It's the wrong solution to dishonest publishers/authors publishing "books" as episodes / part works and pretend they are books. There should be word counts. Also better policing of reviews. Amazon product reviews are gamed. It also can affect how people read books and review them. It damages the book as story medium.

It's also another attack on privacy and inherently "tricking" people into the parasitical and exploitive subscription model. Obviously subscriptions don't have to be parasitical and exploitive, but it's a fact that most are and are very much more profitable than straight sales.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The relentless and unreasonable hatred of anything Amazon is toxic to normal conversation on Mobileread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The relentless and unreasonable hatred of anything Amazon is toxic to normal conversation on Mobileread.
Some people just need to vent at every opportunity.
Esp since it won't change a thing.

Thread is played out, anyway.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
It's not buying and selling books.
It's a completely new model by a Monopolist. It's the wrong solution to dishonest publishers/authors publishing "books" as episodes / part works and pretend they are books. There should be word counts. Also better policing of reviews. Amazon product reviews are gamed. It also can affect how people read books and review them. It damages the book as story medium.

It's also another attack on privacy and inherently "tricking" people into the parasitical and exploitive subscription model. Obviously subscriptions don't have to be parasitical and exploitive, but it's a fact that most are and are very much more profitable than straight sales.
So no answer to my question, just more ranting about Amazon?
And as for this: "subscriptions don't have to be parasitical and exploitive, but it's a fact that most are"
I disagree, and I think almost everyone else would too.
I think your views on Amazon are causing you to seriously lose perspective.
So Netflix and Spotify are parasitical and exploitative?
The RHS/National Trust/Engligh Heritage are parasitical and exploitative?
The unlimited data plan on my phone is parasitical and exploitative?
Or are they fine, but they would be bad if Amazon ran them?

Last edited by murraypaul; 01-23-2020 at 06:35 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #38
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Regarding paying by the book, there's a lot of what could be classified as small pamphlets in KU, should those be paid the same as a long-ish novel?
(And IIRC KU used to pay by the read, it led to books being broken down into many parts)
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
ZodWallop, were you perchance on the now defunct Imdb forum?
I likely posted there a few times. I really liked IMDb back in its early days. I didn't know their forums were gone. I don't go there much any longer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote