Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Umm, balsa would be rather soft for something you're handling a lot. I think I'd prefer those almost paper thin sheets of "cork". Or 1 oz leather, which would only be 0.4 mm thick.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #32
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Umm, balsa would be rather soft for something you're handling a lot. I think I'd prefer those almost paper thin sheets of "cork". Or 1 oz leather, which would only be 0.4 mm thick.
I was thinking of going the ultra-non-premium approach, a sheet of cardboard :P

... but I'll try the Skinomi cover first, since it's thin enough that it's unlikely to stop the thing fitting in its various cases. (Got an origami case now, it's *nice*.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #33
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
I think I'd prefer... ...1 oz leather, which would only be 0.4 mm thick.
ditto
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
... but I'll try the Skinomi cover first, since it's thin enough that it's unlikely to stop the thing fitting in its various cases. (Got an origami case now, it's *nice*.)
please report back. thank you.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #35
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Leather would be my preferred material, but the original poster specifically said he doesn't want to increase the weight perceptibly. Besides, to achieve some thermal insulation you might need at least 2 mm layer of material, and 2mm thick leather doesn't insulate that well and would increase weight.

If I was doing it for myself and wanted the solution to be as light as possible, I might use 3mm balsa layer covered with 0.4mm plywood sold to builders of model airplanes.

My own cover [for a different reader] has back made from fibreglass laminate board covered by a thin wood veneer. The lid is again fibreglass laminate with nice thick leather on the top and much thinner leather towards the display. Sides are laminated bent wood. My case more than doubles the weight of the reader, but I prefer the much increased protection and holding wood and leather in my hand when reading.

Oh ... and I would never consider 15°C to be comfortable room temperature for reading, or any other activity, besides, perhaps, ice skating or cooling down after sauna
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #36
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

delete
Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no better way to make the Oasis 3 less cold then a cover.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #38
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My Oasis 3 has arrived off the Black Friday deal..

So far I'm very happy with this rubberized/tpu case for the back only

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791BBNKV

(I don't want a front cover)

The reviews are spot on in that some may want even more grip (I'm sort of in that camp) and I may add some grippy tape to the bump where the fingers rest. Going to use it for a bit first and be sure.

Great option if this is the sort of case you like, as I do.

bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #39
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
My Oasis 3 has arrived off the Black Friday deal..

So far I'm very happy with this rubberized/tpu case for the back only

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791BBNKV

(I don't want a front cover)

The reviews are spot on in that some may want even more grip (I'm sort of in that camp) and I may add some grippy tape to the bump where the fingers rest. Going to use it for a bit first and be sure.

Great option if this is the sort of case you like, as I do.

I looked everywhere on Amazon! thank you so much!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #40
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I looked everywhere on Amazon! thank you so much!
You bet!
That's what is great about this forum!

Here are a few pics of mine I just took:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w4GaVVn.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	175416   Click image for larger version

Name:	PndMuAh.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	175417   Click image for larger version

Name:	2N9ftCw.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	175418  

Last edited by issybird; 12-07-2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Oversize images. Please read the guidelines regarding image size.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #41
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
You bet!
That's what is great about this forum!

Here are a few pics of mine I just took:
yes it is. and, although it's tpu and I prefer silicone because of the extra grip, this will get me through for now. again, many thanks.

eta: I'm so happy I'm dancing!

Last edited by issybird; 12-07-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Oversize images deleted. Refer to original post. Please don't include such large images in a quote.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #42
bookyboy
Addict

Yeah - I also prefer silicone and wish something just like this, but in silicone, existed..

If you ever find something like that, please link it here!

I agree with you. For now though, this is certainly better than nothing and much better than "cutting the front flap off" from other case options (was my other idea)
Old 12-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #43
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah - I also prefer silicone and wish something just like this, but in silicone, existed..

If you ever find something like that, please link it here!

I agree with you. For now though, this is certainly better than nothing and much better than "cutting the front flap off" from other case options (was my other idea)
you know I will. I have been hunting everywhere and even started a process to find out about having one 3D printed. cost prohibitive. thought I had found one on Alibaba that a friend gave me a link to, but it's not what we're looking for and it is also tpu.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #44
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've looked as well for simple back-side silicone covers for Kindles. I had grippy covers with texture for my iPhone 4S. They didn't offer a lot of protection, but made the phone nice to hold. I still use one on that old phone. They were made by Casemate, here's a pic:

I loved the way they felt, and would love something like this for my Kindles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65E0385C-EBA5-4F89-A92A-679CF2CC1C85.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	175378  
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've looked as well for simple back-side silicone covers for Kindles. I had grippy covers with texture for my iPhone 4S. They didn't offer a lot of protection, but made the phone nice to hold. I still use one on that old phone. They were made by Casemate, here's a pic:

I loved the way they felt, and would love something like this for my Kindles.
that does look like it would be nice and grippy

Tags
cases, whining