Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Well I found another new Safari quirk in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1. The latest Safari version seems to have screwed up website footers if you use something like this in your CSS:

Code:
div.footer-layout {
     max-width: 984px;
     overflow-x: hidden;
     margin: auto 0px auto 0px;
     position: fixed;
     bottom: 0px;
}
This worked fine in 12.x, but now the footer is no longer fixed to the bottom of the screen. I’ve noticed this quirk in my own website as well as other websites. I also notice in several websites that there is a flickering of elements, especially if they have images on the page, taking place which is rather annoying. I guess they changed something in the Safari code. I hope they get it fixed.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-27-2019 at 11:46 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #32
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I see the Find Friends app has vanished.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I notice that the log in page for public networks comes up a lot more consistently now. It was always hit or miss in the past.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #34
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I see the Find Friends app has vanished.
No worries: it’s just been combined with Find my phone into the new “Find My” app. They did it this way so that there wouldn’t be three separate find apps with the upcoming Apple tags.

Well, assuming the tags don’t turn out to be the next AirPower cause they promised too much with them. :/

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-27-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #35
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Glad you folks are giving the new OS such a work out and then sharing. I’m just using without really trying to uncover the new features. Except for Dark Mode which is nice...but not as groundbreaking as my expectations.

The little keyboard is interesting, but I a, really a two thumb taper. Like the long press menus on the icons. Photos is nice. Editing photos has been a really nice upgrade.

Safari seems peppier on my iPad Mini
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #36
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Thanks to all who have been posting. It has been very helpful.

I am liking the new dark mode. When “smart invert” is also turned on in accessibility settings it is working really well for me on some of my favorite safari sites and in several of my newspaper apps. Still deciding whether or not I like it on Mobileread.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 PM   #37
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I like the new dark mode, but I've had various little glitches, that generally fix on restart. One question I have though is, is there any way to set a default app for opening files? Before the update, I could click an epub file online, and automatically open it in Marvin3, but now, that doesn't happen, and I have to fiddle around every time, until I remember how to get it to open in Marvin.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #38
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
No worries: it’s just been combined with Find my phone into the new “Find My” app. They did it this way so that there wouldn’t be three separate find apps with the upcoming Apple tags.
Thanks very much.

Last edited by The Old Man; 09-28-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Removed error.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #39
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Safari Block Pop-ups option in iPadOS 13.1 doesn’t seem to work, not all the time anyway. It is really annoying when you go to a site like CNN and just as you start reading an article a CNN ad pops up obscuring the page. It is also pretty annoying that several sites like CNN use expanding top banner ads that keep moving around making it difficult to read the articles. I wish there was a way to turn off scripting for individual sites without having to turn it off for every site.

You can go into Settings —> Safari —> Advanced —> Experimental Features to access a large number of experimental Webkit features, but no clue as to what most of those settings will do. I’ll need to research them.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-28-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Thanks to all who have been posting. It has been very helpful.

I am liking the new dark mode. When “smart invert” is also turned on in accessibility settings it is working really well for me on some of my favorite safari sites and in several of my newspaper apps. Still deciding whether or not I like it on Mobileread.
I use Firefox dark theme that does not require Smart Invert (or dark mode for that matter). In the past I’ve had problems seeing where the cursor is when editing a post, but an update yesterday seems to have fixed that.

I’ll want to try Smart Invert with Safari (have it assigned to Home button), but suspect it will be too onerous to switch back and forth as I switch apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iPadOS 13.1.1 is out; fixed a bug with unlocking screen (screen unlocked but lock screen image didn’t go away and had to be swiped away).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #42
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The Safari Block Pop-ups option in iPadOS 13.1 doesn’t seem to work, not all the time anyway. It is really annoying when you go to a site like CNN and just as you start reading an article a CNN ad pops up obscuring the page. It is also pretty annoying that several sites like CNN use expanding top banner ads that keep moving around making it difficult to read the articles. I wish there was a way to turn off scripting for individual sites without having to turn it off for every site.

You can go into Settings —> Safari —> Advanced —> Experimental Features to access a large number of experimental Webkit features, but no clue as to what most of those settings will do. I’ll need to research them.
Actual pop ups are seldomly use these days. Most ads are in line with the page now.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #43
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Actual pop ups are seldomly use these days. Most ads are in line with the page now.
True they are seldom used for ads, but when they occur they should be blocked. Why have a option to block them when it doesn't block them? If I turn off Javascript, then some sites just go blank as far as content since they rely on Javascript to populate their articles. Oh well, web designers are pretty good and coming up with new ways to annoy the bleep out of us!

What annoy me the most though is those skinny ads that stretch across the top of the window, then just as you go to read the article that skinny ad expands downward growing a few times taller. We have such little real estate already, then that happens and it messes up your reading. AdGuard on my MacBook Pro works well to stop those and the pop-ups too, but it seems to not be working very well on iPadOS 13.1. Maybe AgGuard will get an update out soon that works better.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-28-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #44
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iPadOS 13.1.1 is out; fixed a bug with unlocking screen (screen unlocked but lock screen image didn’t go away and had to be swiped away).
Good. There are lots of little bugs here and there, so hopefully it will squash some of them. I haven't seen any major bugs yet.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #45
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
True they are seldom used for ads, but when they occur they should be blocked. Why have a option to block them when it doesn't block them? If I turn off Javascript, then some sites just go blank as far as content since they rely on Javascript to populate their articles. Oh well, web designers are pretty good and coming up with new ways to annoy the bleep out of us!

What annoy me the most though is those skinny ads that stretch across the top of the window, then just as you go to read the article that skinny ad expands downward growing a few times taller. We have such little real estate already, then that happens and it messes up your reading. AdGuard on my MacBook Pro works well to stop those and the pop-ups too, but it seems to not be working very well on iPadOS 13.1. Maybe AgGuard will get an update out soon that works better.
Well to be fair, it's a matter of survival for them. Many sites have gone under in recent years thanks to lack of ad revenue. So it's a choice of either making them harder to block or adding a pay wall.