Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #181
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepilator View Post
I haven't found it, can you tell me how to have WhatsApp and messenger icons in notification bar?
On page 11 of this thread there is a post by pata that quotes and links to a thread on reddit. As per the quote you need to open the App Store (the Hisense one that came with the phone). Within that app store you need to search for "google". One of the results will be "go-then mandarin language stuff" meaning there will be the English words "go-then" followed by some Chinese characters. You need to install this app and then open it and follow through the process that will "install some old, limited version of google services".

The post explains "One major reason to do it is that many apps need it for push services, including email and instant messaging apps like bluemail and telegram. I could install whatsapp easily, maps as well..."

As I said previously I have not done this process myself as I do not want Google on my phone. But it seems like a straight forward process and I'm guessing would work for the apps you mentioned.

If you are having trouble with this I suggest you ask on the reddit thread as the poster on that thread has actually done this. For the benefit of others on this thread could you please report back and advise if this worked for you.

Last edited by cartz; 01-20-2020 at 05:15 PM.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #182
patjee
patjee began at the beginning.

Device: hisense a5
Well, I'm probably dumb, but I can't find the developers options on the Hisense A5 and the build number to unlock the USB. Anyone was successful in doing that? Thanks...
patjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #183
patjee

Sorry for the double message. I replied to something earlier that didn't make it to the site. Just saying that I went around most problems by using Exchange through a browser. Trying to do the same with Uber but it's not stable for some reason. Most of the other apps work very well, and if not making shortcuts from browsers does the trick, for now!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #184
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
Does Hisense a5 have any antivirus built in? Are we safe against keyloggers?
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #185
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjee View Post
Well, I'm probably dumb, but I can't find the developers options on the Hisense A5 and the build number to unlock the USB. Anyone was successful in doing that? Thanks...
I enabled Developer Options even though I seldom use them. Forget exactly how I did it. Think I went to Settings --> About Phone --> And then tapped on Kernel Version (or was it Android Version?) seven times. Anyway, you tap on something non-intuitive seven times and then you are granted Developer Options.

Developer Options can be found under Other Settings in the Settings area.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #186
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does Hisense a5 have any antivirus built in? Are we safe against keyloggers?
Yes, it is called Mobile Manager and has an icon of a Shield with a Plus Sign in the middle of it.

Now, how reliable it is and whether it protects against keyloggers, I couldn't say.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #187
patjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I enabled Developer Options even though I seldom use them. Forget exactly how I did it. Think I went to Settings --> About Phone --> And then tapped on Kernel Version (or was it Android Version?) seven times. Anyway, you tap on something non-intuitive seven times and then you are granted Developer Options.

Developer Options can be found under Other Settings in the Settings area.
Yes, Kernel version worked! Thanks a lot!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #188
lowsense
lowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hisense A5
Smile Any recommendations for text-to-speech apps?

Hi,

I would like to find some good text-to-speech apps to read out web pages and ebooks on my Hisense A5. I have tried 2 or 3 of them, they didn't work that well.

Would you recommend any?

Thanks!
lowsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #189
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsense View Post
Hi,

I would like to find some good text-to-speech apps to read out web pages and ebooks on my Hisense A5. I have tried 2 or 3 of them, they didn't work that well.

Would you recommend any?

Thanks!
I just use the Google TTS engine and voices. It's free and works well for me in English, Chinese and Japanese. Often use it with the @VoiceAloudReader app or with the Moon+ Reader Pro app. No complaints.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #190
Thepilator
Thepilator began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ok thank you I've got one more question - if the phone was stolen , how to navigate it? Is there any site/app for that?
Thepilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #191
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Ok thank you I've got one more question - if the phone was stolen , how to navigate it? Is there any site/app for that?
Some phones come with such a feature which you can enable. Haven't come across any such feature on the A5. There may be some third party app which you could install to help you locate a lost/stolen A5, but I have no experience using such apps.

However, you would, of course, have to grant any such app location access in order for it to work which is essentially allowing the app to track you/your device.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #192
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
I just found Moon + Reader Pro on the Amazon app store. So if you want the pro version there is no need to log on to Aurora using a Google account to get it.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #193
lowsense
lowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I just use the Google TTS engine and voices. It's free and works well for me in English, Chinese and Japanese. Often use it with the @VoiceAloudReader app or with the Moon+ Reader Pro app. No complaints.
Thank you so much!

I downloaded @VoiceAloudReader and set up the Google TTS engine,
but it always works just a few minutes and stops after the phone is locked (it doesn't stop if the phone is awake). I have already put the @VoiceAloudReader in the background kill white list. After it stops every time, I tap the "play" button in @VoiceAloudReader but it refuses to work. From "Change Voice or Language" menu, I can find out that the voice changes back to the default female English voice (I always change it to the male English voice in the system settings).

Do you know what went wrong?

Best
lowsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #194
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsense View Post
Thank you so much!

I downloaded @VoiceAloudReader and set up the Google TTS engine,
but it always works just a few minutes and stops after the phone is locked (it doesn't stop if the phone is awake). I have already put the @VoiceAloudReader in the background kill white list.

Do you know what went wrong?

Best
Hadn't tried listening when the phone is locked. Tried it after reading your post and had exactly the same experience. Played around in Settings. Nothing seemed to work. Was very frustrating.

Then thought that maybe the @VoiceAloudReader was somehow being routed through the Music app. Opened the Music app and went into its setting. Set the music close time for 90 minutes. Then I went into Settings and white listed the Music app... It played a bit longer, but eventually stopped.

Then in Settings, I decided to completely turn off the automatic cleaning settings even though I had white listed both the @VoiceAloudReader and the Music app. That seems to have done the trick. It is still playing after more than 10 minutes.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #195
patjee

Hello all,

Just a short report on my Hisense A5. I received it a week ago and have a better sense of it now. It is indeed a good phone for anyone who wants to focus on calls/messages, text based experiences, and maybe detox from social media, games, etc. I'm not into that much so the transition is fairly smooth from my iPhone. But I decided to let go most of my date there (and saved it to my computer).

The A5 came from CECT, with a protective mate film. I have install fdroid, Amazon app, Aurora store, APKpure and got most of the things I need from there. I also did install microg.

The lack of Google Play and GMS is definitely annoying for some things, but going through a shortcut on a browser usually does the trick, for Uber for instance. I got Whatsapp and Viber to work fine, as well as my bank, internet service provider, security and email app. Only one specific app doesn't send notifications.

Syncing with Exchange has proven to be a problem, possibly originating from my Exchange server (but I m now using Outlook from the browser). I am syncing with Syncmate, but it's not always very stable.

Apps with only dark mode (like Spotify) are a tad annoying to use, but are still usuable.

I am now off to try and find more books to read...