Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
Question Nook HD+ vs Hisense Sero 8 vs ?

Hello fellow readers and tech enthusiasts!

I'll cut right to the chase. My dad turns 60 in a few months and I want to buy him a tablet to browse the internet, read news and watch youtube videos on it (I need to buy it in early to mid November). I reckon he will mainly use the tablet while lying on his bed, similar to what he does now with his Galaxy Nexus. I am a fairly techy person and I have no trouble flashing ROMs, etc.

My budget is no more than £140 including a case. I am aiming for an 8-9" tablet.

My research suggests I have 3 options :

1. £130 (£75 refurb) Nook HD+. 9" screen 256 ppi; dusty 1.5 GHz dual-core processor; 6000 MAh battery; weighs 513g; no cameras; needs CyanogenMod 11 ROM; also, there is no auto brightness feature

2. £80 Hisense Sero 8. 8" 188 ppi screen; newer 1.4 GHz quad-core processor; 4000 MAh battery; weighs 450g; has 2 cameras; has stock KitKat so no need to fuss with rom flashing; there could be an auto brightness feature, I am not sure

3. Wait another month and see if there is a better deal out there while risking the above 2 running out of stock.

I would appreciate any suggestions with regards to my choices and/or if there is a device I've missed/option I am not aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by horizon21; 09-28-2014 at 06:58 PM.
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I can't speak for the UK market with absolute certainty, but I wouldn't expect another good sub-£80 8" tablet in the next few months.

Or rather, I don't expect to see anything in the US in that price range which compares well to the Hisense Sero 8.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for the quick response, Nate! I've never been interested in tablets before and any insight is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I have the HD+ and absolutely love it, its build quality is simply superb.

Beware though that some units reportedly have trouble booting off SD card which is a pre-requisite for flashing custom ROMs -- see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2288688.

Last edited by livramax; 09-28-2014 at 09:53 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Given those 2 choices, I'd go with the Hisense, as this is important: "has stock KitKat so no need to fuss with rom flashing"

Nooks work better running stock, in my opinion. Or rooted stock.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
horizon21
bookster

Thanks guys. I've ordered the HD+ and if I cannot get CM11 on it to work well, I will return it and get the Sero 8.

Last edited by horizon21; 09-29-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post
Thanks guys. I've ordered the HD+ and if I cannot get CM11 on it to work well, I will return it and get the Sero 8.
You might want to take a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2679899 for info/pointers on how to flash CM11 on the HD+, also http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cm-1...-release-items for considerations in choosing nightly build vs. M-snapshot build of CM11.

Last edited by livramax; 09-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
horizon21
bookster

livramax, you just struck home with the second link! I was really confused as to which CM release to make use of.

That said, should I go for the latest M release or a previous one? If anyone is happy/unhappy with a certain build, please say so

Edit: I was contemplating whether my dad would benefit from a rooted device. I installed XBMC on my laptop last night and I think that would be mandatory now... all that TV! Also whatever software I use, it has to be stable because my dad cannot troubleshoot it. Stable rooted rom appeals more and more to me, provided I can circumvent the device's (apparent) tendency to wipe itself if it detects changes in the /system folder.

Edit2: The Nook arrived yesterday (£129 from Blackwell's). Superb build quality indeed! Crappy stock software, tho. I've got CM11 M10 running on it - good stuff. I tried turning ART on but it just made the tablet sluggish in my case. For now - dalvik all the way. I'll continue testing it for a while to make sure my dad won't encounter any kinks.

Last edited by horizon21; 10-02-2014 at 07:18 PM.