Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #106
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Tripod trilogy! The Dutch translations were my first SF. Fond memories...
The Prince in Waiting trilogy is nearly as good.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #107
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've never read Asimov fiction. I did read his book, 'A New Guide to Science'. Very good book on the history of science in general. After reading that book, I discovered that many of the historical stories used on Carl Sagan's Cosmos came from that book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #108
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Try reading the Eternal Bard.
The Immortal Bard. I don't think it's available in an ebook.

There was a story that use to be said about Asimov. Supposedly he heard about an English professor who was teaching SF, including some of Asimov's stories, so he decided to check the class out. When sitting in the back of the class, he heard the professor give one of his stories all sorts of weird meanings. So he stood up and said, not that's not what it means at all. The professor asked who he was, so Asimov said "I'm Issac Asimov, I wrote the story", the English professor retorted "What do you know, you're just the author".

Since the story is fairly close to the Immortal Bard's plot line, I suspect the story is apocryphal, but it is funny. I think I first heard it back in the 70's (when I was taking a SF course in high school)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #109
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've never read Asimov fiction. I did read his book, 'A New Guide to Science'. Very good book on the history of science in general. After reading that book, I discovered that many of the historical stories used on Carl Sagan's Cosmos came from that book.
I doubt they came directly from Asimov's book. Asimov didn't die until 1992 and Cosmo came out in 1980. They just covered some of the same material.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #110
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I doubt they came directly from Asimov's book. Asimov didn't die until 1992 and Cosmo came out in 1980. They just covered some of the same material.
A New Guide to Science was published in 1960. What does his date of death have to do with it?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A New Guide to Science was published in 1960. What does his date of death have to do with it?
Because he would have likely commented on it if he felt that Sagan had plagiarized from his book. One of the issues with history is that everyone uses more or less the same information, so it's not exactly shocking that two academics would end up using many of the same stories in history of science books. I suspect they likely used the same set of sources. You can see some of Sagan's references in the reference section of Cosmos.

Last edited by pwalker8; 02-20-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:35 PM   #112
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I have really enjoyed the discussion in this thread. We are all influenced by what we read or our memory of how we experienced and liked or disliked what we read at the time. Here’s Elon Musk’s recent comments on an old master.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/elon...ed-spacex.html
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #113
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
I have really enjoyed the discussion in this thread. We are all influenced by what we read or our memory of how we experienced and liked or disliked what we read at the time. Here’s Elon Musk’s recent comments on an old master.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/elon...ed-spacex.html
I wonder how many other CEO's would have a clue who Asimov was and have read the Foundation series.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #114
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
I wonder how many other CEO's would have a clue who Asimov was and have read the Foundation series.
I’m pretty sure Bill Gates would but he’s not a CEO anymore is he?
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #115
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I am a CEO (maybe not in the class of Bill Gates) and I know who Asimov is and I did try to read the Foundation Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #116
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I wouldn't be surprised if most CEOs of tech companies know who Asimov is.

How many have read the Foundation series, probably a lot less.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #117
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if most CEOs of tech companies know who Asimov is.

How many have read the Foundation series, probably a lot less.
It's my experience that there are two different sets of CEO's in tech companies, the ones who started the companies and the professional manager types. For example, while I wouldn't be shocked if Steve Jobs knew who Asimov was and read the Foundation trilogy, I would be quite surprised if Tim Cook did.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:36 AM   #118
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am a CEO (maybe not in the class of Bill Gates) and I know who Asimov is and I did try to read the Foundation Series.
Apache
Ok, how many really rich CEO's...

Musk is an innovator. Some don't particularly like him because he doesn't really act like they think a CEO is suppose to act and tends to say whatever he's thinking rather than only what was approved by the professional speech writers and lawyers, but he's an idea guy.

Last edited by pwalker8; 02-24-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #119
Userunfriendly
Userunfriendly began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
James H. Schmitz

I can't believe no one has mentioned Schmitz!!!

Science fictionalized fantasy, but for pure enjoyment, he's the best.

Telzy Amberdon is incredibly memorable, so is Pausert!
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #120
lostcowboy
lostcowboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
www.gutenberg.org Science Fiction You can find a lot of good writers there.
lostcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote