Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Glowlight 3 side loading

I finally registered a Glowlight 3 that I bought some time ago and it updated immediately. Looked up the B&N side loading instructions and noted that they said to place the book files in the "My Files" folder. Hooked up the reader to my Win 8.1 computer and noted that such a file folder did not yet exist on the new reader. I had to create it IN THE "NOOK" FOLDER and then side load several epub files into the MY Files folder. They loaded fine and I have been using it for reading. I have no B&N ebooks yet and bought the reader for use primarily for reading side loaded Epub books. My newest 6" reader with page turn buttons.

Not using Calibre but manually side loading via copy and paste the files from my computer.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-13-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Expand and clarify
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Glad that it is working out ok for you. If you do ever decide to sideload with calibre, you should be able to tell calibre where to send the books, so it won't be an issue.

Here's to hoping this keeps working for you!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Bookstooge. Note the clarifying corrections to the procedure above. Also worked for manually loading almost 300 Epub files on the new Glowlight Plus 7.8" that arrived yesterday. Just loaded them this morning and I will be watching for any books vanishing as reported in the past for some Nook readers. Hoping the latest firmware is more stable.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you mind letting me know what you think of the Plus once you've used it a couple of weeks? I'm really curious about it as I like the larger size but the weight is what concerns me.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 AM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

I am a poor judge of weight as I used the Kindle DX for years as my primary reader with no problems. In a case it is 30 ounces. In a ACDream folio case the Nook weighs about a pound while the Kobo Aura in the same make and style of case for it weighs just under 12 ounces. The Kindle Oasis in the same style of ACDream folio case is 11.3 ounces so the Kobo and Kindle large format current readers are considerably lighter than the Nook.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #6
Bookstooge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I am a poor judge of weight as I used the Kindle DX for years as my primary reader with no problems. In a case it is 30 ounces. In a ACDream folio case the Nook weighs about a pound while the Kobo Aura in the same make and style of case for it weighs just under 12 ounces. The Kindle Oasis in the same style of ACDream folio case is 11.3 ounces so the Kobo and Kindle large format current readers are considerably lighter than the Nook.
Thanks for letting me know
Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Which Kobo Aura? Given you are referring to large format, that might be the Kobo Aura One but since you also mention current large format, that would be the Kobo Forma at 8" which weighs in at 197 grams or 55 grams (~2 ounces) lighter than the Aura One. To compare apples to apples, the Kobo Libra H2O at 7" weighs 192 grams compared to 188 grams for the Oasis 3 also at 7".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote