Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
How to use some of the features in the content Server

A completely re-written Content server with support for reading books in-browser on your phone/tablet. Also works in offline mode. [calibre 3.0]

Content server: Allow adding and deleting of books using the web interface [calibre 3.16]
  • Use the + icon in the top bar of the book list to add new books and the trash icon in the top bar of the book details page to a delete a book. Note that only authenticated users are allowed to perform these actions, so you have to setup user accounts for the server to use these features.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 11-58-02.jpg
Views:	2662
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	170847

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 11-59-01.png
Views:	1358
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	170848

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 11-59-47.png
Views:	1850
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	170849
Content server: Allow editing the metadata of books from the book details page [calibre 3.20]
  • On the book details page, you can now edit any metadata and change covers by clicking the edit metadata icon in the right area of the top bar. Note that only users that have write permissions for the library can edit metadata.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-06-05.png
Views:	1522
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	170854

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-06-54.png
Views:	1324
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	170853

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-07-24.png
Views:	1202
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	170852

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-08-52.png
Views:	1153
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	170851

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-09-21.png
Views:	1192
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	170850
Content server: Allow conversion of books [calibre 3.27.1]
  • Click the convert icon in the top bar of the book details page to convert a book. Note that conversion only works for logged in users who have permission to make changes to the calibre library.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-14-12.png
Views:	1257
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	170859

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-14-44.png
Views:	1168
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	170858

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-15-47.png
Views:	1040
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	170856

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-15-13.png
Views:	1094
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	170857

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 12-18-48.png
Views:	1108
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	170855

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Wow, I had not realized it had progressed that far.

Do you know how to make the content server NOT use roman numerals for the series index (Entry is Arabic numbers) ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wow, I had not realized it had progressed that far.

Do you know how to make the content server NOT use roman numerals for the series index (Entry is Arabic numbers) ?
Preferences - Look & Feel - Book details check or un check Use Roman numerals for series***

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 22-40-26.png
Views:	1215
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	170867

***Requires a restart of both calibre and the browser.

With Arabic numbers

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 22-43-14.png
Views:	1261
Size:	782.1 KB
ID:	170865

With Roman numerals

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-22 22-40-56.png
Views:	1233
Size:	782.4 KB
ID:	170866

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Preferences - Look & Feel - Book details check or un check Use Roman numerals for series***

bernie
I screwed up a 'restore' test and lost my preferences and had not realised that defaulted back to roman

All fixed
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Troug
Troug began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Is there a way to change the series number preferences using command line?
Troug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troug View Post
Is there a way to change the series number preferences using command line?
I'm curious about this too, as I run calibre-server on a headless server. Or would this be a question better suited for the "library management" sub-forum? Cause I've got some questions for that one too

CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibredb lets you edit any metadata you like, https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...calibredb.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:03 AM   #8
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibredb lets you edit any metadata you like, https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...calibredb.html
Searching that page for "roman" returns zero results. Searching that page for "series" returns 13 results, none of which are relevant to the question asked.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:07 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubGeek View Post
Searching that page for "roman" returns zero results. Searching that page for "series" returns 13 results, none of which are relevant to the question asked.
I suspect that the series_index is only Formatted as Roman for display.
The DB contains Floating point numbers (and it sorts as such).
Old 09-18-2021, 04:33 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind I missed the word "preferences". No you cant edit preferences using dedicated command line tools. Preferences are stored as simple JSON files, so you can edit then using any text editor. Or just use the calibre GUI to edit the preference and copy the relevant file (which you can find via Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open config directory)
Old 09-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Or just use the calibre GUI to edit the preference and copy the relevant file (which you can find via Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open config directory)
There is not a GUI on a headless server, hence the question about the CLI. However, the information about the JSON files is new, and I didn’t see that anywhere in the documentation for the calibre-server component. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubGeek View Post
There is not a GUI on a headless server, hence the question about the CLI. However, the information about the JSON files is new, and I didn’t see that anywhere in the documentation for the calibre-server component. Thanks!
That's why I said run the GUI and COPY the relevant file.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:43 PM   #13
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect that the series_index is only Formatted as Roman for display.
I wish I could figure out where in the files for this older version that the setting is so that I could change it.
Quote:
The DB contains Floating point numbers (and it sorts as such).
It sorts as such? Hmm. Must be something changed for the more current versions. On the older one I have, if I sort by Author, I get:

Peter Watts - Blindsight - I of Firefall
Peter Watts - Echopraxia - II of Firefall
Peter Watts - The Colonel - 1.5 of Firefall

If I sort by Series, then the books are in correct order, but the authors are all over the place

However, I suspect that, for this instance, I'll need to learn how to set up a custom sort order [Author, then Series, then Series_Index, and then (if no series) Title].
Old 09-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's why I said run the GUI and COPY the relevant file.
And where, precisely, would one copy the relevant file to, on a headless server running calibre-server as a service? I see there's manual page for customizing calibre through environment variables such as CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY. However there's next to no information on how to implement those customizations for systems that are not GUI-based.

So, for example, should I just toss the JSON files into the calibre-library directory? Into each of the five libraries I have calibre-server serving? Into /usr/lib/calibre directory or one of it's subdirectories? Into /usr/share/calibre or one of its subdirectories?

This thread was created two years ago and talks about versions such as 3.0 and 3.16 and 3.20 and 3.27..... AND THE THREAD IS STILL STICKIED, indicating that it's of current relevance. If this is not the case, I'd suggest that the thread be unstickied and then marked as obsolete.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:16 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Setting environment variables is trivial regardless of the status of the head of your system. A bit of googling will show you how to do so. And if you dont want to set the env var, simply use the default config location, which is $HOME/.config/calibre