Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 04:17 AM   #1
cliffwalker62
cliffwalker62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma,Kindle Voyage,Sony PRS 950
Kobo x ray

I find the x ray feature on Kindle really useful.For me it’s the only advantage it has.Why can’t Kobo do anything similar?
cliffwalker62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because not enough people have requested it and Kobo doesn't see it as useful. These are just guesses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Because it is a LOT of work. Which means it costs a lot and they probably could not justify it.

Kobo did have something similar, called "BtB" if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they didn't have it for many books, and it only lasted a year or so. The effort required to make it useful has to be big. I don't know how Amazon handless it. Or do they just do it for the very popular books and no one comments on it for everything else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because it is a LOT of work. Which means it costs a lot and they probably could not justify it.

Kobo did have something similar, called "BtB" if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, they didn't have it for many books, and it only lasted a year or so. The effort required to make it useful has to be big. I don't know how Amazon handless it. Or do they just do it for the very popular books and no one comments on it for everything else.
I just checked, and 7 out of the last 10 books I bought from Amazon had X-Ray enabled. 2 of the 3 that didn't were collections of short stories from long dead authors, and the third was a free self published book.

Note that the books I buy are not generally best sellers, they are a combination of mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also some people find the Kindle Xray is inaccurate and a gimmick.

We don't bother with it on books we publish on Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
cliffwalker62
cliffwalker62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma,Kindle Voyage,Sony PRS 950
I’m reading a book on my voyage because it has X ray.I don’t see it as a gimmick.Still a big Kobo fan though.
cliffwalker62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like X-ray for Amazon Prime. But I never once wanted it for a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #8
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I love it for dense book with lot of characters, like the Game of Thrones books.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I love it for dense book with lot of characters, like the Game of Thrones books.
I thought I'd seen posts recently from someone who had a custom dictionary for a series, which might serve a similar purpose to x Ray
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I just checked, and 7 out of the last 10 books I bought from Amazon had X-Ray enabled. 2 of the 3 that didn't were collections of short stories from long dead authors, and the third was a free self published book.

Note that the books I buy are not generally best sellers, they are a combination of mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.
In that case, is there any indication of who does the work? That, and @Quoth's comment, suggests it is the publisher or author. And the accuracy is the other issue. I haven't tried it. My comments are more based on what I saw with Kobo's version and what I see discussed a little with the X-Ray plugin for calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I thought I'd seen posts recently from someone who had a custom dictionary for a series, which might serve a similar purpose to x Ray
You're probably refering to GOTDict or The Fictionary.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
You're probably refering to GOTDict or The Fictionary.
And for GOTDict, I have a port here (MobileRead).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:27 AM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo x ray

Although some books may feature curated x-ray content, most that I've encountered have info gathered by software algorithms. From what I've read online and seen for myself, Amazon culls data from Goodreads, Wikipedia, and captures the first sentence when a person's name is mentioned as the bio. It's not often very useful, and it isn't very complete. For example, in the Time Machine by HG Wells, it features London, the Thames, and Egypt as place names, but nothing for the places where the Time Traveller visits. For people, this is Weena's entry: ❝Then I tried talk, and found that her name was Weena, which though I don’t know what it meant, somehow seemed appropriate enough.

Other entries had incomplete sentences.

There is a Windows app called X-ray Builder that authors can use to build robust X-ray entries for books that Amazon hasn't X-ray enabled yet. I don't know how good the software is, but a thread about it in the Kindle forum has been going since 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 03-08-2021 at 03:59 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote