Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Several
Fresh install won't open

Hi gang. I can't get Calibre to open on a fresh install. I've tried both the 32 and 64-bit versions, freshly rebooting after each uninstall. Has there been a recent issue with updates or configs?

C:\Users\user1>calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.11 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling

C:\Users\user1>calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.11 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is the icon on the taskbar (where programs that are running show up)?
Because I do not see a crash in your log.
Anything exotic (higher end) from the general use PC found in stores?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Optimus Prime

Thanks. Nothing showing in the SysTray nor in the Task Manager

It is a Surface Book 3. Nothing special loaded on the machine.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
From previous threads, if your startup stalls at the "Turning on automatic hidpi scaling", it generally indicates a video driver issue.

Possibly an update to 20H2 from 20H1 might update your video driver.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Optimus Prime

Thank you. Looks like I'm already on 20H2
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Thank you. Looks like I'm already on 20H2
19041 indicates that you are on 20H1. 20H2 would show as 19042. What does running Winver show?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
Optimus Prime

WinVer shows 20H2. See attached.

I also have new info...my SB3 is connected to a Dell D6000 dock. If I disconnect the dock, it starts without issue. While connected to the dock, it crashes at Turning on automatic hidpi scaling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WinVer.PNG
Views:	140
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	185566
Old 02-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
WinVer shows 20H2. See attached.

I also have new info...my SB3 is connected to a Dell D6000 dock. If I disconnect the dock, it starts without issue. While connected to the dock, it crashes at Turning on automatic hidpi scaling.

Attachment 185566
Try Preferences: Look & Feel: set Adjust for High resolution to OFF
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Optimus Prime

@theducks Thank you for the advice to change the look and feel setting. Unfortunately, that has not helped.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Optimus Prime

I found it. The SB3 has two GPUs (integrated Intel and an integrated nVidia). In previous troubleshooting for something else, I had told my SB3 to force the use of the nVidia GPU instead of letting the system decide which to use. Switching it back to auto allows it to launch.