Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
shelleyrae
shelleyrae began at the beginning.

Device: ipod with calibre and stanza
Exclamation Incoming Connections?

I am about halfway through adding my collection to Calibre to use on my ipod with Stanza - I have not transmitted anything yet - just trying to get my 1000+ collection sorted.
I recieved a popup from McAfee today (after about 2 days of solid use) warning me of Calibre trying to accept incoming connections.
I couldnt find anything that told me why this would be happening and Im a bit concerned about the possibility of hackers finding their way in.
Is this normal? What would Calibre be trying to accept?
Are there any security risks? Thanks for any answers
shelleyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't run it but if you had the content server running, it would obviously be accepting some connections. The best way to set things up from a security standpoint will hopefully be answered by others.

Another time it will accept connections would be when itis fetching news.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Another time it will accept connections would be when itis fetching news.
I would expect these to be outgoing connections? Only the Content Server should need incoming connections.

Note that if Stanza is going to eb used as the e-Reading device, then you would almost certainly want the Content Server to be running to be able to transfer books to Stanza (the USB cable is not an option in this case). When running the Content Server, then calibre needs to be able to accept incoming requests from Stanza for book catalogs and books.

Last edited by itimpi; 05-02-2010 at 07:51 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
shelleyrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I would expect these to be outgoing connections? Only the Content Server should need incoming connections.

Note that if Stanza is going to eb used as the e-Reading device, then you would almost certainly want the Content Server to be running to be able to transfer books to Stanza (the USB cable is not an option in this case). When running the Content Server, then calibre needs to be able to accept incoming requests from Stanza for book catalogs and books.
I get that outgoing would be required - what i query is that McAfee identified incoming as stated in the screen shot.
So I guess i need to know in what instances would the calibre server require to connect with my PC, without me initiating anything?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The content server accepts incoming connections, it has to to function. If you are using Stanza, the stanza will be trying to connect to the content server on your computer, which is an incoming connection.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyrae View Post
So I guess i need to know in what instances would the calibre server require to connect with my PC, without me initiating anything?
I think there may be a misconception here! We are talkinga bout the Calibre Content Server (not the Calibre server on the internet) which is part of the Calibre software running on your PC. This allows Calibre to act as a server to software such as Stanza so that Stanza can obtain a catalog of the books in your Stanza library and then request the ones you pick to be downloaded to Stanza on the iPhone.

Whether the Calibre Content Server is run or not is configured under Caliber Preferences->Content Sertver. However as was said earlier you will need this to be running to enable the transfer of books between Stanza and Calibre.

Last edited by itimpi; 05-02-2010 at 11:29 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
shelleyrae

Thanks. Now to finish catalouging so i can actually get them on ther are start reading
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
shelleyrae

Just to update - the content server wasn't running at the time - which is why I was concerned - havent had it reoccur - even when I was running the server to transfer. Ran a full check on my computer and couldnt pick up any intrusions so I am going to assume it was benign.
A security vulnerability by using Calibre might be something to consider however.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
me too?

I found "calibre.app" listed as accepting incoming connections in the Mac firewall. Is that as it should be?

Also found com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc and icab.app set to accept incoming connections.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm not a computer comms expert by any means, but my understanding is that when computers communicate with each other there is a 'handshaking' process to set up protocols, regulate speed, request resend if data is corrupted etc. etc. There will always be incoming as well as outgoing data. If either is blocked by a firewall or anti-virus transfers won't work.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #11
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Quote:
Originally Posted by datostar View Post
I'm not a computer comms expert by any means, but my understanding is that ....There will always be incoming as well as outgoing data. ...
Nope. Far too general an analysis. Port numbers limit what sort of connection is allowed.

'oogle port security.

You wouldn't let some stranger come in and plug an unknown USB device or portable hard drive into your computer. You also wouldn't want to allow the same stranger access to your computer by telecom connection.

This may help:

https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-reso...what-is-a-port

Last edited by hank; 03-05-2021 at 11:52 AM. Reason: cite
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I found "calibre.app" listed as accepting incoming connections in the Mac firewall. Is that as it should be?

Also found com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc and icab.app set to accept incoming connections.
Yes, it is correct for Calibre to be accepting incoming connections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Incoming to Calibre, not necessarily your PC.
Calibre needs connections if you run Server or Wireless device services
Calibre needs connections to communicate with WORKER tasks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote